PDA

View Full Version : Celitcs jersey - Thompson?

sportscentury
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
GUUers --- I can't figure out who this player is. #36, last name THOMPSON, and the jersey is a 2006-07. There appears to be a blood stain on tail. Any thoughts? Here are a couple of scans. Thank you.

mfsquirrelmaster
04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/player_search.cgi?search=thompson

It looks like it could be Dijon Thompson

mfsquirrelmaster
04-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Wait, his transactions say nothing about Celtics.

Kabron1971
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
http://kevinjthompson.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/kevin-thompson-announced-as-new-starting-center-for-the-boston-celtics/

sportscentury
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
MFSquirrelmaster --- no, it's not dijon, but thanks for trying.

Kabron --- yes i saw the joke thread/blog by kevin thompson.

One GUU member suggested that it may be a jersey that was made for Coach John Thompson for the ceremony at the Garden when Red Auerbach died (they were close friends). This is the best theory I've heard of so far ... but certainly doesn't explain the blood stain (assuming that it is indeed blood, which it certainly appears to be).

Any other suggestions/ideas are very welcome.

allstarsplus
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
MFSquirrelmaster --- no, it's not dijon, but thanks for trying.

Kabron --- yes i saw the joke thread/blog by kevin thompson.

One GUU member suggested that it may be a jersey that was made for Coach John Thompson for the ceremony at the Garden when Red Auerbach died (they were close friends). This is the best theory I've heard of so far ... but certainly doesn't explain the blood stain (assuming that it is indeed blood, which it certainly appears to be).

Any other suggestions/ideas are very welcome.

When John Thompson played for the Celtics in the mid-60's, he wore #18 and switched to #5. That is a good theory about it being John Thompson's as he definitely was close to Auerbach who also lived in the Washington DC area, but you have to wonder why there would be a #36 and not the #18 or #5.

My other theory is that Red Auerbach's mother's maiden name was Thompson and it could be a cousin of his who was presented with the jersey after Red died or didn't show up for the presentation of the jerseys to Red's family and was put away with the game jerseys.

sportscentury
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM
When John Thompson played for the Celtics in the mid-60's, he wore #18 and switched to #5. That is a good theory about it being John Thompson's as he definitely was close to Auerbach who also lived in the Washington DC area, but you have to wonder why there would be a #36 and not the #18 or #5.

My other theory is that Red Auerbach's mother's maiden name was Thompson and it could be a cousin of his who was presented with the jersey after Red died or didn't show up for the presentation of the jerseys to Red's family and was put away with the game jerseys.

Wow, good stuff, buddy. Very interesting and quite plausible.

sportscentury
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Andrew, in my response, I neglected to say a big thank you for your help/insight.

I also want to thank fellow GUU hoops collector, Mulligans, for his great efforts, ideas, and help.