PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions Store Bough Bat Sold as Game Used

ldavis2261
08-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Fellow collectors,

A friend of mine bought a Knoblauch bat off of Historic Auctions. I saw him for the first time in years at a Gloria Rothstein show and he showed it to me. I am not a bat expert by any means but the bat is not authentic. In their photos

Historic Auctions (http://www.historicauctions.com/search/showphotos/auctionid/32753/)

Their description reads "This game used bat shows nice use including ball and lace marks on the bat barrel"

In reality, the bat is mint, there is absolutely no use. There is no marks or even a scratch

They do not show a closeup of the bat. I know for a fact that the line underneath the 125, seperates the game used bats from the store bought bats. This is not visible from their photos. My photos of the actual bat are below

They never say it was a world series bat, but it is marked 1991 world series

They also do not mention in the description that the bat is personalized. They say " It also sports a mint, smudge free, signature", but no mention of the "To Jim". I will give them enough credit that they did show a picture of the personalization.

Realistically though, the only thing this bat is good for is firewood.

metsbats
08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
www.pauloneill21.com (http://www.pauloneill21.com)

Paul O'Neill is selling replica WS bats on his website. I think they also have the underline under the 125.

This bat is a replica and not one issued for game used in my opinion.

David

Eric
08-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Ldavis forgot to mention, (which he did mention to me) that his friend has made numerous attempts to contact historic auctions to get this fixed, and has left messages on a voicemail without hearing back from them.
Eric

ironmanfan
08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm sure that the next time Joel boasts of his dinner with James Brown he'll be sure to bring this up.

ldavis2261
08-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Some more photos

ldavis2261
08-26-2006, 11:20 AM
My friend called 3 times, with no answer or response. When someone finally answered, they told him the person he needed to speak to was not available till next week. Real professional.

Some more photos

stkmtimo
08-26-2006, 11:36 AM
A Brad Wells letter? Yikes.

Tim

allstarsplus
08-26-2006, 12:36 PM
$67 +$10 premium for a signed replica WS bat. Definitely not used in a Major League/WS game. I saw that bat and as most people probably did---figured it wasn't game used---that is why it went for only $67 and not $670 or more.

Of course that doesn't excuse the COA and lack of customer service.

trsent
08-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm sure that the next time Joel boasts of his dinner with James Brown he'll be sure to bring this up.

Get over it. Sounds like a real issue with this low end item to me, but you can bring up the past if you have nothing better to do with your worthless time.

By the way, I stand behind the efforts I made to work with Historic Auctions as a buffer to this forum, anyone who has an issue with the help I tired to bring to the forum and the hobby is a piece of crap in my opinion because I was trying to help get the crap pulled from that auction house and jerks threw my efforts in my face.

Then again, some powerful people in this industry thanked me for trying.

Any other stupid comments you'd like to make, please address me at the private email address below.

sportscentury
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Folks,

I think that, at times, Joel's comments and efforts get lost in how they are communicated. But I do think that Joel is one of the few people who genuinely tries, day in and day out, to make the hobby better. You may not agree with his opinions or how he approaches issues and delivers his messages (I sometimes do not myself), but these issues should not be confused with the issue of intention/motivation.

Reid

ldavis2261
08-26-2006, 10:05 PM
What does it matter if it is $67 or $6700? If people are going out of their way to fake $67 items, I can only imagine what they are doing with items in the thousands.

allstarsplus
08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
What does it matter if it is $67 or $6700?
What matters is when it is $6,700 you hire an attorney to get back your money, and when it is $67 you are very happy it wasn't $6,700.

Your buddy didn't get what he thought he was bidding on which is a shame.

trsent
08-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Reid, I should send you an application to join my flock.

sportscentury
08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Reid, I should send you an application to join my flock.

Why do I have a feeling that the admission process is not all that competitive?

trsent
08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Why do I have a feeling that the admission process is not all that competitive?

You jest, but most of my followers are those who do not post on the forum but read it religiously.

otismalibu
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
You jest, but most of my followers are those who do not post on the forum but read it religiously.

His auctions are private and so too are his disciples.

trsent
08-28-2006, 04:28 PM
His auctions are private and so too are his disciples.

Yes, my auctions are private. No reason the average joe can contact my customer. I pay eBay a lot of money each and every month for the right to sell, not to offer free advertising to those trying to find my customers.

Anything else you wish to chime in on?