PDA

View Full Version : Found these today

mjkm90
08-26-2006, 07:17 AM
I posted about mini bats ealier. This is the Ruth bat I found today along with a nice little figural ash-tray. I've seen these at auction in the past but don't recall a value. Anyone have an estimate? The condition is outstanding and the likeness to the Babe is strong.

Thanks,
Mike H.

slidekellyslide
08-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Cool ashtray. I've not seen it before. Where'd you find these items at?

mjkm90
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
An antique mall. This guy refills his booth every other week. Mostly good stuff also. He has a house full from what people have told me. Single, retired, lifelong collector (sounds like the unibomber doesn't he?). He doesn't own a computer and sells often to dealers. One local dealer told me he has seen this guy sell $10,000 in a single weekend to dealers at shows.

bat_master
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
An antique mall. This guy refills his booth every other week. Mostly good stuff also. He has a house full from what people have told me. Single, retired, lifelong collector (sounds like the unibomber doesn't he?). He doesn't own a computer and sells often to dealers. One local dealer told me he has seen this guy sell $10,000 in a single weekend to dealers at shows.

Hi everyone,

Any chance anyone has any good information for antique malls in Nebraska? I'll be heading to Colorado from Minnesota in September and would like to hit as many nice antique malls as possible.

Thanks in advance. Please post here or email me (tim@tjsportsmn.com) with any information about antique malls in Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, or Minnesota.

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

slidekellyslide
08-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Heh! Stay out of Nebraska!!!! :D

Actually there are a few antique malls along I-80 throughout Nebraska. I live in Eastern Nebraska so I hit the one in Omaha, and Lincoln and the one in between in Greenwood quite often. Rarely do I find anything worthwhile. And if I do it's priced higher than what I could find it on ebay. There is an antique mall just off of I-80 (about 1-2 miles) in York that I haven't hit in at least a year now, there's one in Kearney right off the interstate and one in North Platte which is also on the Interstate. I think the last thing I found of consequence in any of these malls was a lot of 20 or so pennants with some really nice Kansas City A's and some 1959 Topps Bazooka pennants for cheap about 6-7 months ago. Every once in a while I find a nice glove or bat for a good price, but I think I have my are pretty well covered.

If you want to go off the beaten path just a bit you could hit Fremont, Nebraska just outside of Omaha. They have a ton of antique stores in the downtown area. I snagged this bunch of items out of there about a year or two ago for $500...including a 1937 Brooklyn Dodgers ball.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7687/memorabilia001smallld0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Unfortunately I blew my whole collecting budget and I had to pass on a Babe Ruth flipbook that was very cheap. I went back the next week and it was gone. :( But I can't really complain because I did very well with this lot. The balls are all signed by a Nebraskan named Vern Voegler who I've been able to find out very little, but these are team signed balls from what looks like every stop he made in his minor league career....all of the teams are Dodgers minor league teams except for the 1937 Brooklyn ball. He must have gone to Spring training and never made it to the bigs.

bat_master
08-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Heh! Stay out of Nebraska!!!! :D

Actually there are a few antique malls along I-80 throughout Nebraska. I live in Eastern Nebraska so I hit the one in Omaha, and Lincoln and the one in between in Greenwood quite often. Rarely do I find anything worthwhile. And if I do it's priced higher than what I could find it on ebay. There is an antique mall just off of I-80 (about 1-2 miles) in York that I haven't hit in at least a year now, there's one in Kearney right off the interstate and one in North Platte which is also on the Interstate. I think the last thing I found of consequence in any of these malls was a lot of 20 or so pennants with some really nice Kansas City A's and some 1959 Topps Bazooka pennants for cheap about 6-7 months ago. Every once in a while I find a nice glove or bat for a good price, but I think I have my are pretty well covered.

If you want to go off the beaten path just a bit you could hit Fremont, Nebraska just outside of Omaha. They have a ton of antique stores in the downtown area. I snagged this bunch of items out of there about a year or two ago for $500...including a 1937 Brooklyn Dodgers ball.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7687/memorabilia001smallld0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Unfortunately I blew my whole collecting budget and I had to pass on a Babe Ruth flipbook that was very cheap. I went back the next week and it was gone. :( But I can't really complain because I did very well with this lot. The balls are all signed by a Nebraskan named Vern Voegler who I've been able to find out very little, but these are team signed balls from what looks like every stop he made in his minor league career....all of the teams are Dodgers minor league teams except for the 1937 Brooklyn ball. He must have gone to Spring training and never made it to the bigs.

Thanks for the response!

Great information! I think the ones you are mentioning are mostly the ones I have been to as well. The Brass Armadillo and Aardvark antique mall are two of the more prominent ones. I think I also have been to two of the others you mentioned, but not the ones in Greenwood or Fremont.

I will likely have to stop in Fremont on this trip. Sounds like it might be worthwhile just to see if they do have anything. I was planning on staying in Grand Island the first night depending on how far I get. Hopefully my time budgets can be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks again!

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

slidekellyslide
08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Tim, the Greenwood Antique Mall is not actually in Greenwood it is right at the I-80 exit for Greenwood in between Omaha and Lincoln....you can't miss it. I haven't hit the Brass Armadillo in quite a while, but I hit the Aardvark every couple of weeks.