PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson game used jersey

64SHEA
04-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a Rickey Henderson 2006 Mets spring training jersey
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz288/thebeast1011/Baseball%20Memorabilia/IMG_9218.jpg

He is having a signing in may. Do you guys think it worth the $300 to have him sign this jersey?
Thanks

legaleagle92481
04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Defintely not. Spring training jerseys are probably worth about $700 unsigned. Adding his sig. is not going to increase the value by $300 but if you want it signed its your collection go for it! You gotta collect what you like how you like or it takes the fun out of the hobby. I based my value figure on the fact that a regular season jersey goes for between $1,500 and $2,000 for his modern stuff in most auctions I have seen. what I mean by modern is stuff not from his first two stints, with the A's, Yanks or the Blue Jays. Like his Padres and Mets stuff.

AM
04-10-2011, 01:59 PM
WHen & where is the Rickey signing event?
Is it open to the public?

thank you

64SHEA
04-10-2011, 02:09 PM
WHen & where is the Rickey signing event?
Is it open to the public?

thank you

Here you go
http://tristarproductions.3dcartstores.com/Rickey-Henderson_c_799.html

64SHEA
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Defintely not. Spring training jerseys are probably worth about $700 unsigned. Adding his sig. is not going to increase the value by $300 but if you want it signed its your collection go for it! You gotta collect what you like how you like or it takes the fun out of the hobby. I based my value figure on the fact that a regular season jersey goes for between $1,500 and $2,000 for his modern stuff in most auctions I have seen. what I mean by modern is stuff not from his first two stints, with the A's, Yanks or the Blue Jays. Like his Padres and Mets stuff.

Really you think its worth that much. I only paid $325 for it in 2007. I do collect based on what I like (mostly Mets items) not just for a good deal. That said most of the time I wont buy something if I don't think I could at least make my money back if I ever did have to sell it.

AM
04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
thanks

San Fran just a little out of the way for me

64SHEA
04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
yea me to lol

I am just sending some stuff in.

bronx_burner
04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think that jersey is worth anywhere near $700. He was only a guest instructor for ST in 2006. What you paid is probably in the right ballpark. But as has been said as long as you like it for what you paid is what matters.

That said, Henderson's prices for jerseys is too high, as are most of his prices for autos. One thing to note is that at the last 2 appearances I have seen him at, there were notices that he will not sign any used or worn items at all (along with his typical notice that he will not sign any bases or home plates). So that price of $300 is actually for store bought/replica jerseys. The last time I saw him advertised as willing to sign worn items, the list said the cost was 2 tickets for each item. Just somethingyou may want to clear up in advance if you do decide you want to get it signed.

emann
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
The last time I saw him advertised as willing to sign worn items, the list said the cost was 2 tickets for each item. Just somethingyou may want to clear up in advance if you do decide you want to get it signed.

I saw similar pricing, it was about $600 to sign a GU bat. Crazy pricing, but I don't think it is going to come down much in time. If you want a signed GU item, better to purchase something that has already signed, plenty of them out there...

Nice looking jersey!

Canseco44
04-10-2011, 06:05 PM
That is crazy! Between $300-$600 for a man to write his name and a couple of words. I can remember in the mid eighties at the Astro Hall in Houston, players were signing for, at most, $15. Heck some were even signing for free! I guess it is more about the business end these days but come on. I should have learned to play sports better!

metsbats
04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
My 1999 Henderson game used bat came autographed with the inscription "1999 Gamer" and LOA from MOS. I think I only paid 350 for it.

His fee to sign a game used bat is outrageous.

Glad I brought the bat signed already.

Danny899
04-10-2011, 08:57 PM
JJ,
First let me say that is a real nice Henderson jersey you have there. Every Henderson jersey I have in my collection I've always gotten signed and added the inscription of whatever year the jersey was from. Quite a few of them I obtained from fellow collectors right here in this forum. It's really a matter of personal preference and cost. Yours would look great in silver on the bottom of the number. But now, like BronxBurner mentioned all game used items are double the fee for a Henderson signature. So it may be $600 for it to be signed. (Crazy, I know) I've paid way too much for Rickey's auto on some of the jerseys and other gamers and that was before the fee was doubled. But I really wanted his MVP 1990 and W.S. Champs inscriptions on the pieces I have from that year and his World Series jerseys. So that brings it back to a personal preference. LeagleEagle is right, it's not going to increase the value much but it sure will look nice if you really want it.
Dan

64SHEA
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I just sent Tristar an email asking waht the price would be to get the jersey signed. If it is $600 like you guys have said then there's no question I am not getting it signed. When I am looking to buy an item I will not buy anything that is not authenticated by a major company. Almost all of my items are authenticated by Steiner, MLB, or Locker room. I was looking on ebay and found a Rickey Henderson Mets game used signed bat by left field collectibles but I have never heard of them.

64SHEA
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Tristar just sent me a reply.....

I said
I am interested in sending in my Rickey Henderson game used jersey to be
signed by him in May. I have two questions. First will he inscribe it
"Game Used"? It is authenticated by Steiner Sports. Second is the price
the same for game used items?

"It is up to the athlete as to whether he will inscribe the jersey "Game
Used." You are more than welcome to request and pay for the
inscription. The cost of the autograph is $299. The cost of the
inscription is $60. If he does not inscribe the item as requested, we
will refund you for the inscription. Please let me know if you have any
further questions."

DeacDoug
04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
In 2005, I went to a San Diego Seadogs game hoping Ricky would sign one or both of my 3,000 hit balls. I arrived early and waited an hour or more before Ricky showed wearing the expensive sunglasses that players wear. I asked him to sign my ball and he said that he wouldn't sign any baseballs, but would sign something else. I didn't have anything else for him to sign. The bottom line is that he treated me decently and that I admired his passion for being willing to continue playing the game at the "Seadogs" level, perhaps hoping to get back to the show.

OaklandAsFan
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
In 2005, I went to a San Diego Seadogs game hoping Ricky would sign one or both of my 3,000 hit balls. I arrived early and waited an hour or more before Ricky showed wearing the expensive sunglasses that players wear. I asked him to sign my ball and he said that he wouldn't sign any baseballs, but would sign something else. I didn't have anything else for him to sign. The bottom line is that he treated me decently and that I admired his passion for being willing to continue playing the game at the "Seadogs" level, perhaps hoping to get back to the show.

I believe that Rickey actually had it in his contract while playing in the golden baseball league that he was not allowed to sign MLB baseballs so that doesn't surprise me. When he came to Mesa they had a promotion for a ticket to the game and a bobblehead and a pre game signing. He didn't like the way his sig came out on the bobblehead so he said he would sign anything else except MLB baseballs or bobbleheads.

He has been pretty good about signing for people while working spring training for the A's the last two years. He tells people he will not sign until practice is over for the day and then kinda camps out in one area and takes care of the line and goes on his way.