Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kswarriors
    • Dec 2005

Rea

REA's 2011 auction is now available for preview on the Robert Edwards site. I look forward to this one every year since they have great stuff and they only do one per year. Anything out there particularly interesting?
  • mfsquirrelmaster
    • Jan 2007

Re: Rea

I was looking forward to it as well. A little disappointed, not much in the way of game used unless you got a boat load of cash for the Gehrig or Mays.

Comment

• Sportsislife
      • Jan 2011

Gotta decide if I actually think that's the home plate from municipal but the Nolan Ryan last win plate would be a pretty solid addition.

Comment

• dirtyla2000
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mfsquirrelmaster
        I was looking forward to it as well. A little disappointed, not much in the way of game used unless you got a boat load of cash for the Gehrig or Mays.
        You are 100 percent correct! The last couple of years have been weak! I think the way to go this spring is to wait for Grey Flannel due soon! Even The Scp auction is whatever unless you like the Celtics. In which case you will be in heaven!Sick stuff from Red Auerbach!

Comment

• cliffjmp33
          • Jun 2010

Love the Mo '98 World Series jersey, but out of my price range. Thought there would have been a little more GU stuff, but I guess people are consigning elsewhere more so.
          Cheers,
          Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
          My Memorabilia Collection

Comment

• bronx_burner
            • Dec 2008

Just took a look at that "1998 World Series Used Rivera jersey". The Steiner letter shown there is fake. I've seen this type of fake Steiner letter countless times now. The fake letters seem to all have come from the same source, somebody must have made a mint doing this at some time.

The tells on the letter are:
            1-The use of different text for the description of the actual item from the rest of the text. True Steiner letters have the same text in the body of the letter throughout.
            2-The use of the older non-numbered Steiner hologram. The perpetrator of many of these fake Steiner letters utilized those holograms (easily obtainable from very inexpensive Steiner items) and slapped them onto his fake letters and items. Easy to pair up as they are all the same. The later Steiner holos added numbers to match them up.
            3-The yellow rail pattern at the top of the letter does not reach the edges of the paper. On real Steiner letters it does.

The letter is a color scan of an original letter with the description text slapped on and then printed and the new hologram added.

I don't have a personal critique for the actual shirt but the Rivera name on the tag appears suspect to me. Regardless, the fake letter is all I needed to tell me to stay away without even having to look at the shirt.

The extra "credit card" style certificate is what Steiner offers at public signings. I'd imagine the person who took this to the signing showed Rivera the paperwork to convince him to inscribe it that way. Because the auto looks completely legit. But the fact that the card is included in the auction actually does indicate it was signed at a later date.

The only question is whether the consignor of this item was duped himself and was unaware of it or if the consignor is the actual creator of the fake letter. But I wouldn't bid more than the price of an autographed jersey on this shirt because thats all it is.

Comment

• bronx_burner
              • Dec 2008

Just wanted to clarify that when I said different "text" in item #1 of the tells, I should have said font.

Comment

• bronx_burner
                • Dec 2008

I knew I had discussed these types of letters on here before. I just didn't realize it was this exact jersey that was the topic starter.

Comment

• cliffjmp33
                  • Jun 2010

bronx_burner, much appreciated on the info. I recognized the "card" as a signing after the fact, but didn't fully take a look at the letter/jersey pics.

Thanks!
                  Cheers,
                  Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
                  My Memorabilia Collection

Comment

• bronx_burner
                    • Dec 2008

It appears REA has added a note that they are verifying this with Steiner. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I have concerns about the letter that comes with their Jeter jersey as well. While the font of the item description matches the rest of the text on the Jeter letter, that yellow rail pattern does not hit the top, left or right edge of the paper. Just my opinion but I have or have had over 50 different legitimate Steiner letters in my hands, and I have never seen one like that, other than on the faked letters I have seen over the last few years.

Comment

• sammy
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

If REA can't confirm the letter, I'm fairly certain they will pull the jersey or make a notation in the description in regard to this matter.

Comment

• BU54CB
                        • Jul 2010

Any thoughts on the Barry Sanders jersey?

Comment

• trsent
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BU54CB

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=19807
                          It was withdrawn from the auction yesterday, so any thoughts will be for fun since the item is no longer for sale.

Comment

• BU54CB
                            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by trsent
                            It was withdrawn from the auction yesterday, so any thoughts will be for fun since the item is no longer for sale.
                            I noticed, curious what was behind that? From the part of the signature I could see, I thought it looked a little off. I also thought the NFL logo was off as well. In the photos I could find from 1992, all had the logo higher, centered on the ribbed collar material. I did see logos from 1993 of similar placement. Certainly not saying the jersey isn't authentic, just a couple details that stuck out to me.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BU54CB

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=19807
                              The year/month code (DY) actually pegs it to 1991, although that in and of itself isn't a deal breaker. I worry more about the jersey's ASI hologram.

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...