PDA

View Full Version : what does alternate game used mean?

prichmond
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I seen the term "alternate game used jersey" used quite often in the description of auction items. Can someone fill me in on what the defination is?

legaleagle92481
04-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I seen the term "alternate game used jersey" used quite often in the description of auction items. Can someone fill me in on what the defination is?

Each team has a home jersey and a road jersey that is a certain color. Lets use the Ravens as an example. At home they wear purple on the road white. Occssionally, they wear black jerseys, these being the third color and not typically worn are known as their "alternate" or "third" jersey. Not all teams have such though the Yankees for example wear pinstripes at home and gray on the road and never wear any other colors.

rj_lucas
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
In MLB, alternate jerseys are typically worn on Sunday. Not sure why, just tradition I guess.

Rick Lucas
rickjlucas@gmail.com

sox83cubs84
04-12-2011, 11:30 PM
In MLB, an alternate game jersey generally refers to something other than home white and road grey, but not a single-game jersey (JR Day, TBTC). Examples would be Cubs blue, White Sox black, Mets black, Reds red, Royals blue, Rays sky blue, and Twins dark blue, among others. A few teams have home and road alternates...Athletics gold and green (and black pre-2011), Braves red (home) and dark blue (road) and a handful of others.

Dave Miedema

tbone90
04-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Alternate game used = $$$

Alternate can refer to caps or helmets as well as jerseys and can change from year to year. Over the past three seasons the Indians seem to have worn countless variations of jerseys and caps.

Some are annual or traditional alternates like Negro League uni's and some teams schedule a regular TBTC game every year. I do like some of the special alternate jerseys that teams wear though like the Cerveceros jerseys the Brewers wear of the Los DBacks jersey worn by Arizona for Hispanic heritage days.