PDA

View Full Version : Havlicek's final jersey, Chamberlain, Dr J ABA - Grey Flannel Auction looks SOLID

mmonte4
04-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Gentleman,

Have you had an opportunity to take a look at the GFC Summer Games Auction Preview? They have some STRONG items. The Havlicek, Chamberlain, and Dr J are all photomatched and are "once in a lifetime" type items. Their strongest Spring auction yet IMO. I've got my eye on the Kareem Lakers jersey :D

UT_Vols_Collector
04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I was browsing through it last night. I really like the Todd Helton 1994 Tennessee Vols gamer. You don't see a whole lot of players play two different sports in college, let alone start on both teams. Helton started three games that season for us, but hurt his knee against Mississippi State and never returned. That opened the door for a young freshman by the name of Peyton Manning and the rest is history :D .

ruhoos
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Just how reputable is Grey Flannel and their COA's on game used items?

Of course I've read of a few high-profile horror stories, but how are they are items like baseball jerseys which they state "show little game use?"

Thanks for any info!

mmonte4
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Gentleman,

Have you had an opportunity to take a look at the GFC Summer Games Auction Preview? They have some STRONG items. The Havlicek, Chamberlain, and Dr J are all photomatched and are "once in a lifetime" type items. Their strongest Spring auction yet IMO. I've got my eye on the Kareem Lakers jersey :D

You have to understand that GFC sells and authenticates 1000s of items. The fact that you've heard only a few negative stories is a good thing. I think that items that are photomatched or have additional documentation command a sizable premium. All three items I mentioned have this and I am very interested to see what they go for.

Sportsislife
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
photomatch definitely greatly increases the price i would say. there are a few mets batting helmets i would definitely love to have but without any photomatch or loa they seem easy to make change into a different players helmet than t actually is. also would love to have the lt giants jersey as I have been dying for a white one to go with my blue rookie gamer, but cant match it up to anything.

Lokee
04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Of course I've read of a few high-profile horror stories, but how are they are items like baseball jerseys which they state "show little game use?"

Thanks for any info!

Do you homework. It at all possible you wanna get the photomatch :)

Mattapan03
04-14-2011, 01:30 AM
There is no way that 1990's Lawrence Taylor jersey is game used. NO WAY

legaleagle92481
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
the football selection sucks.

BU54CB
04-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Why do you say that, can you offer any proof?

solarlottry
04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
It is very strange to me how GF always has a Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Steve Young or other star 49er player in every auction. I cant see how this is possible. Everyone knows how hard it is to find a real Montana or Rice gamer and they seem to do it twice a year. Also isn't it funny how these shirts never have any kind of team LOA. The 49ers did sell quite a few shirts but most of the time they issued a team letter with each one. Early on it was a letter typed on team letterhead with Bronco's signature. Prior to that he provided hand written letters (late 80s). In the early 1990s there was a form team letter and in the late 90s and in 2002 they also provided a team letter signed by someone in the media department.

I will photograph and post images of all of these team letters later today.

It just seems impossible to me that all of these shirts are genuine. I am not saying they are fake but knowing how hard it is to find a legitimate Montana gamer it is jus amazing to me how GF does it with such regularity.

kprst6
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I looked over a few of the items up for auction and there is no way I would bid on most of them.

Just because a jersey is old, doesn't mean it was game worn.

From what I can see, a large portion of the items are questionable at best.

BU54CB
04-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I looked over a few of the items up for auction and there is no way I would bid on most of them.

Just curious what you're formulating you're opinion upon, what items are questionable and why?

Mattapan03
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Why do you say that, can you offer any proof?

I cannot offer any proof off hand, but look at those numbers. They look customized on a blank jersey and the fonts are off. I never can remember LT wearing a jersey with those numbers

Sportsislife
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
The numbers seem very thin

commando
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM

:eek:

kprst6
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I think it's funny how the "Game Used Marks" were added over top of his autograph as if he signed his jersey then put it on and used it in a game. Pathetic!!!

Mulligans
04-14-2011, 01:40 PM

kprst6......WOW....How could you possibly make such a Bold Statement without any sort of Factual Data to support your claim?

Just because a jersey is old, doesn't mean it was game worn. Are you kidding me?.....This is the BEST that you can do?

slats7
04-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for any info!

I had a very bad experience with them last December, when they were auctioning off an allegedly "game-used" Don Meredith jersey from the mid-1960s. This auction came on the heels of his death, so interest in the jersey was sky-high. I sent them an email expressing my doubts about the jersey's authenticity, so one of their reps called me to discuss it. Nastiest conversation I've ever had in my life. From word one, their in-house "expert" (Nick Coppolo, a wiseguy with a North Jersey accent) was on the attack, mocking my "credentials," the fact that I'm not a jersey expert (never said I was), and accusing me of badmouthing them on the forum. He said that since I did not have photos of every pre-season and regular season game Don Meredith played in between 1966 and 1968, then it was impossible for me to disprove what they were claiming in the auction ad. But I'm not the one selling the jersey for thousands of dollars. Common sense dictates that the burden is on them to prove that he did indeed wear it in a game sometime during the 1960s, but they can't. Their whole defense is "trust us." Fail.

No way in hell I'd ever do business with these people. I hung up on them when it deteriorated into a shouting match.

GF's Meredith jersey is in the middle. The ones on the L and R are authentic versions from different auction houses. No comparison.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/572/contrastv.jpg

DoctorLoomis
04-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I was browsing through it last night. I really like the Todd Helton 1994 Tennessee Vols gamer. You don't see a whole lot of players play two different sports in college, let alone start on both teams. Helton started three games that season for us, but hurt his knee against Mississippi State and never returned. That opened the door for a young freshman by the name of Peyton Manning and the rest is history :D .

Hey UT Vols...please send me a pm. I need to chat with you....

mickeymbz
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
not to mention they always seem to be having a lakers baylor,,,which used to be a super rare jersey... and tiernan jabber,magic.... and also a chamberlain and west. aint saying they are phony's but just agreeing with the 49er scenerio

justinwc80
06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Can we please only call out jerseys when there is actual evidence either way, its really easy to say they have too many jerseys of said player, something must be wrong, if you do research and they don't look good than point it out. Do some research and help educate people.

solarlottry
06-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Can we please only call out jerseys when there is actual evidence either way, its really easy to say they have too many jerseys of said player, something must be wrong, if you do research and they don't look good than point it out. Do some research and help educate people.

And that is exactly what i did! They had a 1990 Joe Montana "gamer" listed as a size 46 except in the image of the tagging it was a size 42. Montana always wore a size 46 Wilson. They pulled the shirt 5 minutes after our conversation ended. I applaud them for pulling the shirt but if i had not called they would have sold a fake Joe Montana gamer which already had bids of over 1700$.

So please if you are gonna make a statement like the one above have some idea of what you are talking about. I agree with the general gist of what you are saying but when someone consistently has the same high end items month after month something is fishy. I have been collecting 49ers gamers for 20 years and have only seen a handful of authentic JM gamers so it is not possible to have one every 6 months. I do my homework as everyone should.

Always buying quality 49ers shirts
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com