PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first game-used bat, need advice!

Insomniac186
04-17-2011, 12:50 AM
I went to the San Jose Giants (AA) home opener this past Thursday. All of the game used bats in the team store were 50% off. Most of them are cracked, but I found an uncracked and autographed bat used by 2007 #1 draft pick Wendell Fairley from last years' championship season (The SJ Giants were Cal League champs). Fairley is still with the team. The bat cost $16 and some change. Is that a good deal or what? To top it off, I caught a foul ball in the air in the bottom of the ninth.

I would like to remove the tape from the middle of the bat so that the Louisville Slugger logo can be seen, and remove the pine tar as well. Would this detract from the value at all? If not, does anyone know any good cleaner to remove pine tar?

Thanks!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/wfbat1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/wfbat2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/wfbat3.jpg

HawaiiSportsNut
04-17-2011, 02:15 AM
$16 sounds pretty good. You can try to remove the tape if it won't harm the bat, but I definitely wouldn't remove the pine tar.

Manram
04-17-2011, 02:37 AM
$16 sounds pretty good. You can try to remove the tape if it won't harm the bat, but I definitely wouldn't remove the pine tar.

I agree. Leave the tar but remove the tape if you want and see whats under it

EurekaDave
04-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Personally, I would leave the tape only because I like to keep things exactly the way I found them. But that's just me. And keep the bat no matter what. You'll get other bats, but there is nothing like the first one. It's special to you. Catching the foul ball makes it even more so.
Dave Silverbrand

64SHEA
04-17-2011, 09:56 AM

+2 Leave the pine tar alone.
I always remember when I bought my first game used base when I was 15. I started taking it to signings when players from the 2006 mets where there (still do). The first time I went my mom was there and she had a great line "Shouldn't you clean it before he signs it?". Everyone in the store was like NO.

Gocong57
04-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, keep the tar; remove the tape; wood glue the broken area underneath so that you can enjoy displaying or swinging the bat.

RRexpressfan94
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
the tape may be holding the two pieces together, so you choose on that one but definitely leave the pine tar on there.

frikativ54
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I would leave it intact. It makes it even more special to have it just how the player used it. If the tape were masking a break, that would be one thing. But it's just another idiosyncrasy of the player that makes the bat unique IMO.

Manram
04-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I would leave it intact. It makes it even more special to have it just how the player used it. If the tape were masking a break, that would be one thing. But it's just another idiosyncrasy of the player that makes the bat unique IMO.

I think it was used to keep the break or crack together, not put on by the player

Insomniac186
04-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I don't think the bat is cracked, it seems pretty solid to me and makes a solid sound.

camarokids
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
If the bat is uncracked, I would bet money the tape was put there for a special reason. Such as, practicing bunting. The tape has what appears to pine tar or mota stick on it. You may want to leave it as is. You will get more bats that show the LS logo. Then this one will stand out for its difference.

justinbittner220
04-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I vote for letting it as it is... $16 was a steal even if he ends up being a janitor at a local high school. Great first bat pick up.