PDA

View Full Version : josh hamilton Game used - long term?

jake33
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I will admit, I am not a Josh Hamilton fan. Mostly because if he would have stayed clean I think the Rays would have had a legit shot at 1-2 world series titles. And then be great trade bait when they couldn't afford him any longer. For example, would have been better seeing him in RF over Gabe Gross....

Regardless of all that, I a curious on his longterm game used value. I see really crazy prices for his items. Heck, did the water bottle his teamed used in ALDS celebration last year go for like $300+?... crazy... Anyways, I do not see him as a hall of famer. He is turning 30 in about a month and won't have even 100 career homeruns. He will have a very hard time getting to even 400 Homeruns, 2000 hits isn't even a guarantee. I didn't even get into his year injury bug that seems to happen more often than not. So with all of that in 8 years, what will his stuff be worth? $500 a bat still? It's not like he is a 22 year old putting up these offensively great numbers. Yes overcoming person demons, person problems, etc is admirable, and his story is great. But his drug use and demons probably cost him 50-80 homeruns, 500+ hits since he started at age 26 in the majors. But will all that fade with time both positive or negative? I am curious to see 37-40 year old Josh Hamilton, those are the years he will need to be productive to have a HOF shot.
---

And for that matter, even being a Rays fan. I personally think Longoria is a somewhat overrated. He is putting up VERY similar numbers to Fred McGriff and Crime Dog (mostly because he doesn't have identity with one team) is going to have a very hard time getting in the HOF. But, Longoria may be the most important piece in saving the Franchise from moving to NC or Vegas.
---

brianborsch
04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
About Longoria, I don't think he is overrated. He is young (just 25) and is almost to 500 hits and 100 HR's. Will he get to 3,000 hits and 500 HR's? Maybe not. But he should get to at least 2,500 hits and 400 HR's provided he avoids major injury.
While his offensive stats aren't at the level of Arod, keep in mind that Longo is a different player. His defense is possibly the best in the league. If he keeps progressing and avoids future injuury, I have no doubts he will be a first ballot HOFer.
But you are right. He is an important cog in keeping the Rays in TB. We'll see. It's too bad that Tampa is more transplants than homegrown people. It's hard to route for a team when you grew up cheering for someone else.

jake33
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I converted to the Rays after the 1998 World Series. Grew up a Yankee fan (mostly a don mattingly fan) and somehow it lost its steam with me. So I wanted to like a team with no tradition, no history, so i could go through it all first hand instead of going back and very world series and hall of famers that I never knew. So the Rays were my team.

This was back in the days before I got into game used collecting, so it just worked out that i was able to get some great deals over the years for Rays items in comparison to what i would have had to pay for Yankees game used prices.

I still am shocked I paid face value OR less for every rays play off game on the street and got in to each game an hour early.

$25 for 5 rows up in the outfield for game 7 of the ALCS was incredible. And $100 for a world Series ticket is still a shocker to me too. I am not sure if that would even cover parking for a yankees vs. Royals game on a rainy day in April.

I have been debating about dropping out of being a fan for any MLB if the Ryas move, from all the time effort and hours I put into collecting, but I will convert to which ever new team they may become. Hopefully, not as many logo changes as 3 in 11 years that the Rays have had though....

brianborsch
04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I hear ya. I like the Rays because they house my favorite player: Evan Longoria. I don't have a "home" team as I live in oregon and am formerly from Hawaii. So I just like teams that primarily grow their players at home. The Rays, Royals, Brewers, and Nationals fit that bill. But I think Longo has a bright future ahead. I love that he came from almost nothing and has become one of the best third basemen in the game today.

xpress34
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
About Longoria, He is young (just 25) and is almost to 500 hits and 100 HR's. Will he get to 3,000 hits and 500 HR's? Maybe not.

I will be surprised if you see another player get to the 3,000 hit, 00 hr plateau... there are only 4 that have ever done it - 3 are in the Hall of Fame and 1 is a juicer....

Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Eddie Murray
Rafael Palmiero

Just an FYI for you as to how hard of a feat it is to do....

- Smitty

legaleagle92481
04-19-2011, 07:11 PM
500 homers is a tough plateau once again now that peds are being tested. In the last 20 years the only guys not linked to roids to get there are Murray, Griffey, Thomas and Thome. That is less than previous eras. Guys like Piazza, Bagwell,Juan Gonzalez, Delgado, McGriff and Chipper Jones who were once seen as locks to get that fell short. Guys like Pujols, Miguel Cabrera and Adam Dunn should get there but until they make it its never a lock and who knows if they will have PED issues. Look how arod and Manny's came out of nowhere. 3,000 is also a tough number to crack. I think most fans would be happy if he had a Chipper Jones career offensively. .300 plus ba, 2,000 plus hits, 400 plus homers, a ring and a few individual achivements i.e. batting titles, etc. As for Hamilton the guy is not going to merit serious HOF consideration. He misses major time each year and started at 26. a few great years do not make a HOFer. Ask dale Murphy, Don Mattingly and others in that class. Guys who were MVP best in the league players but could not churn out enough years to have the counting stats needed to get in.

xpress34
04-19-2011, 11:57 PM
I think most fans would be happy if he had a Chipper Jones career offensively. .300 plus ba, 2,000 plus hits, 400 plus homers, a ring and a few individual achivements i.e. batting titles, etc.

LE -

Don't short the man... he just popped his 2,500th hit earlier this season! Plus hitting the 1,500 RBI plateau!!!

12 more dingers and he's at 450!

All the best -

Smitty

jobathenut
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I cant believe that chipper and jeter have not got to 3000 hits yet.And that chipper is further away.It just shows how impressive pete rose hit record really is.
LE -

Don't short the man... he just popped his 2,500th hit earlier this season! Plus hitting the 1,500 RBI plateau!!!

All the best -

Smitty

legaleagle92481
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
LE -

All the best -

Smitty

i wasn't sure how many he had. i just didn't think he had a realistic shot at 3,000. but who knows maybe he does. i always thought he was an awesome player he has destroyed my mets over the years.

Nnunnari
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
McGriff should be a HOFer, all those homers w/o using steroids in the steroid era and having the best nickname.

justinwc80
04-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I cant believe that chipper and jeter have not got to 3000 hits yet.And that chipper is further away.It just shows how impressive pete rose hit record really is.

That's a great point, Rose's career is really a testament to hard work and always working at the game. Just look at how many positions the guy was willing to play for the team. Alright off my soapbox :D

xpress34
04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
That's a great point, Rose's career is really a testament to hard work and always working at the game. Just look at how many positions the guy was willing to play for the team. Alright off my soapbox :D

Case in point... he is the only player to play OVER 500 games at 5 different positions in his career!!!

1B - 939
2B - 628
3B - 629
LF - 672
RF - 590

That's determination to play and do whatever the team needs!!!

- Smitty