PDA

View Full Version : Sweat stains disappearing

kylehess10
04-21-2011, 04:44 PM
I have a hat that is photomatched by the sweat stains all over. I noticed today that they are slowly disappearing (the hat was last worn in October, 2010). Is this something that is just bound to happen no matter what over time or is there a way I can preserve the stains without altering the hat from its original condition?

kylehess10
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Also I should add, I do keep the hat inside a case. Little air gets inside the case. I've since put the hat in a ziplock bag until I can know if the stains disappearing are preventable or not.

mad87man
04-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I really don't know to tell you the truth. Game used unwashed are newer items to collect so i don't think people really know yet. Back when people got game used stuff from players it was usually washed and worn alot. So i think unwashed long term is kind of a question mark.

LastingsMilledge85
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I've left my caps out in the open and they are several years old and sweat stains have not changed a bit. The only issue I've had is that and hats that are dark and signed in silver pen tend to fade over time.

Manram
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Kyle,

I had a problem similar to this. I took it from the case i had it in and put it in a ziplock bag, and put it away from the sun(under my bed). Since then the stains have seemed to stop fading

rj_lucas
04-22-2011, 09:01 AM
This is likely a result of the relative humidity being low in the room where the cap is displayed. You might want to pick up a small humidity gauge to keep tabs on this throughout the year.

In a preservation quality environment (e.g. museums etc.) the RH is generally kept between 40% - 55%.

As your home heater runs over the winter months, the RH in your home drops unless stabilized with a humidifier. So it would make sense that you're seeing this now i.e. following the winter months.

I would think these stains might evaporate up to a point, but will not disappear completely. Even if some of the moisture wicks away, the mineralization from the sweat will remain.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

frikativ54
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a hat that is photomatched by the sweat stains all over. I noticed today that they are slowly disappearing (the hat was last worn in October, 2010). Is this something that is just bound to happen no matter what over time or is there a way I can preserve the stains without altering the hat from its original condition?

Any updates on this situation?

kylehess10
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Any updates on this situation?

I've since put the hat inside a new hat case, and then put that inside my big case.

I don't know if this is possible, but when I brought the hat back out, it seems as if the sweat stains that disappeared somehow are showing back up just a tiny bit. No complaints here though! As long as the photomatch with the stains stays intact, then I'm happy.

frikativ54
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I've since put the hat inside a new hat case, and then put that inside my big case.

I don't know if this is possible, but when I brought the hat back out, it seems as if the sweat stains that disappeared somehow are showing back up just a tiny bit. No complaints here though! As long as the photomatch with the stains stays intact, then I'm happy.

Mind if I ask what hat cases you were using and which you switched to? I want to make sure I avoid the same problems with the few caps I have with sweat stains.

-Frik

camarokids
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Kyle,
If I remember correctly your room is in the basement. Do you use a de-humidifier? If not you should get one.

kylehess10
07-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Mind if I ask what hat cases you were using and which you switched to? I want to make sure I avoid the same problems with the few caps I have with sweat stains.

-Frik

It's the same as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASEBALL-CAP-HAT-DISPLAY-HOLDER-SOFT-SHELL-CASE-/370470433426?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item5641c23292#ht_3269wt_982

I just put the hat inside of that, then put it in my case. I'll see how that holds up

kylehess10
07-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Kyle,
If I remember correctly your room is in the basement. Do you use a de-humidifier? If not you should get one.

Nope...I don't have a de-humidifier. I'll start looking it up! Never thought about that before. Thanks!