PDA

View Full Version : "low numbered" game used sports cards

jake33
04-22-2011, 02:08 PM
This is always Odd to me.... I don't collect cards too much, I buy maybe 10 a year for autographs and theya re all pretty much game used cards for display purposes.

But anyways, I never understand a jumbo patch card or a low numbered patch card of a player selling for $300+

Take this Ichiro card for example, is a FULL uncut batting glove of his worth $1000 even?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICHIRO-2002-Batting-Glove-Card-Ser-01-ONLY-46-Exist-/220539850381?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3359330e8d

I saw someone also selling a patch card of a USA flag off a game used jersey, yes a very neat 1/1 card of rays prospect desmond jennings, but an asking price of $450? The entire jersey itself would be ahrd to get $450, but if you put a topps (or any card company) logo on it and manufacture a low number it, then it is worth more than an uncut game used item?

I never understand that, but card collectors and game used collectors are 2 different people. Whenever I got into a card shop just to buy card frames, i will always laugh at the prices. Yesterday too, I saw a Devin Hester "patch card" covering 75% of the card, and they wanted $175 for it.... If you are dropping that price, why not just get his entire game used jersey for about $1000 and save up a few hundred more. It is amazing when i say that to card collectors and they look at me like I am insane.

commando
04-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I love the name of the seller -- "only amazing deals."

I think the novelty of the low serial number has worn off over the years. It was a much bigger deal when serial-numbered inserts were a new thing. It has gotten to the point now where most serious collectors can't afford to buy these cards year after year, and many aren't interested unless the price is reeeeaaallly right.

Good luck to "only amazing deals," because I don't think a buyer will show up anytime soon at that price.