PDA

View Full Version : Surhoff never played for the Pirates

sox83cubs84
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Here's an odd jersey that was made apparent to me by Kruk Cards. In one of their bulk buys from the Pirates, they got this pictured B.J. Surhoff jersey, which the Pirates LOA cites as "game-issued". The problem is, Surhoff never PLAYED for the Pirates!

http://www.krukcards.com/Steve/2010/June/0625/IMG_4675.jpg

http://www.krukcards.com/Steve/2010/June/0625/IMG_4676.jpg

I'm not normally one to split hairs on terminology, but how does this become "game-issued"? Surhoff was pursued in 1998-99 offseason free agency by the Bucs, who offered him an uncharacteristically generous 4-year, $18M deal, but Surhoff ended up re-signing with Baltimore. At best this was a press conference jersey in the event he signed in Pittsburgh. It would certainly be an oddity for a diehard B.J. Surhoff collector, but other than that, is it really worth a game-used collector's time and funds? What do you think?

Dave Miedema

zybu_s
04-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I had previously pointed out the inconsistencies on this jersey to them. I said much what you did, Dave, except for the photo shoot opportunity. Must be that the Pirates were cleaning out the closets and somebody had the task of cranking out the LOAs.

trsent
04-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I think it is a pretty cool jersey!

5toolplayer
04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Wednesday, November 25, 1998
Free-agent outfielder B.J. Surhoff gave the Pirates a chance to make their best impression on him Monday night in Pittsburgh. They apparently succeeded, but only to a point. He came away with one eye still focused on the Mets.

Surhoff's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Surhoff hopes to come to New York on Tuesday for a get-together with GM Steve Phillips. Unlike the Pirates, who needed to convince Surhoff that they are serious about building a contender, the Mets might only need to make him feel comfortable at Shea.

"I think he just wants to come and meet Steve," Clifton said. "Certainly the Mets don't have to justify anything. . . . He's a real cerebral guy. He wants to kick their tires, and let them kick his."

Phillips said last night that no meeting had been scheduled, but a Mets source said the face-to-face session "probably is going to happen." The Mets made a three-year, $13.5 million contract offer early last week that included an option year worth $4.5 million or a $750,000 buyout.

Maybe it was one of those visits where the pirates had the jersey and locker all done up for him when he visited Pittsburgh. You never know......

commando
04-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Wednesday, November 25, 1998
Free-agent outfielder B.J. Surhoff gave the Pirates a chance to make their best impression on him Monday night in Pittsburgh. They apparently succeeded, but only to a point. He came away with one eye still focused on the Mets.

Surhoff's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Surhoff hopes to come to New York on Tuesday for a get-together with GM Steve Phillips. Unlike the Pirates, who needed to convince Surhoff that they are serious about building a contender, the Mets might only need to make him feel comfortable at Shea.

"I think he just wants to come and meet Steve," Clifton said. "Certainly the Mets don't have to justify anything. . . . He's a real cerebral guy. He wants to kick their tires, and let them kick his."

Phillips said last night that no meeting had been scheduled, but a Mets source said the face-to-face session "probably is going to happen." The Mets made a three-year, $13.5 million contract offer early last week that included an option year worth $4.5 million or a $750,000 buyout.

Maybe it was one of those visits where the pirates had the jersey and locker all done up for him when he visited Pittsburgh. You never know......

This is very likely. When a player comes by for a visit, you want him to visualize being with the team as much as possible. Also, if he did sign, the jersey would be ready to go at the press conference (like Dave said). It's an interesting piece of history, obviously made by the team, and like Dave also said the value of such an item would be in the eye of the beholder. I do like the provenance of the jersey, which is a big deal with this kind of unusual item.

wildcats97champs
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
if that jersey if for sale i know someone who would love to have it. My brother in law is a huge B.J. Surhoff collector has something like 25+ bats and 6 or 8 jerseys let me know

sox83cubs84
04-23-2011, 07:51 PM
if that jersey if for sale i know someone who would love to have it. My brother in law is a huge B.J. Surhoff collector has something like 25+ bats and 6 or 8 jerseys let me know

Contact Steve at steve@krukcards.com .

Dave Miedema

ferrisfain41
04-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Dave,

Looking forr some GU jersey advice, again. Ferrissfain41 watchiill08@att.net

erased your email!