Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lengthwise
    • May 2006

tage question?

if a jersey has tags like this, on ewouldthink its game used correct?
    Attached Files
  • Lengthwise
    • May 2006

Re: tage question?

Originally posted by Lengthwise
    if a jersey has tags like this, on ewouldthink its game used correct?
    or issued?

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

Is that Darryl Strawberrys Jersey?

Comment

• Lengthwise
        • May 2006

Originally posted by suave1477
        Is that Darryl Strawberrys Jersey?
        it is, not being sold a such, just seemed odd to have all the proper tagging, guessing its and unused one, so issued?

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

ok im a bit confused of your question. There isnt a difference in tagging if its Game Used or Game Issued that just means one has been worn and the other hasn't.
          Where did you get the Strawberry Jersey from?
          I notice there is also an extra tag on it what does it say?

Comment

• Lengthwise
            • May 2006

the tag says 1" extra length, I dont own it(yet), but I may go after it, just curious on ooinions from here, its is not being sold as game used or issued, the tagging just seemed very interesting to me

Comment

• kingjammy24
              • Nov 2005

unfortunately, it's impossible to determine whether a jersey is game-issued/game-worn solely from the tagging. it's like seeing a photo of a car's tires and being asked "is the car any good".
              you'll need to post pictures of the front and back of the jersey in order to derive any sort of meaningful opinion.

rudy.

Comment

• Lengthwise
                • May 2006

I know, they are not that great, here is what I have access to, thanks guys!!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

• suave1477
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006

The Jersey does look good to me

Comment

• kingjammy24
                    • Nov 2005

Re: tag question?

my thoughts:

- it's a little atypical that the flag tag and strip tag both bear identical information. (they both bear the year and set). if you're going to have a tag with the year and set, why duplicate that information again on another tag? it's redundant.

on rawlings jerseys of this era, full strip tags with the year and set are usually present on jerseys that lack the standard flag tag and thus need some way to bear year/set information. (although a lack of a flag tag can be cause for alarm, i've seen some legit rawlings jerseys from this era that lack them.) conversely, on jerseys that have the standard flag tag, you'll rarely see an additional strip tag showing the same information in duplicate. strip tags on jerseys with standard flag tags usually just have the uniform number.

so the tagging is a little atypical.

- what i think is of greater concern is the fact that ami has auctioned off 2 other 1990, strawberry, home pinstripe v-neck pullovers, autographed, and tagged identically to this one. all of them are clearly different jerseys (the autographs are in different places) yet they're all tagged identically - set 1 1990, standard flag tag AND full strip tag. not only that but all of them show minimal use. to me, this rings of a scoreboard jersey. slightly odd tagging, numerous identical copies, superstar player in his prime, autographed, minimal use, around the 1989/1990 time period that scoreboard jerseys come from. i'm strongly inclined to suggest this is a scoreboard jersey.

here are the 2 others that ami auctioned off:

www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=9183

www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=14680

you seem to have found a third. 3 home strawberry jerseys, all set 1, yet none show substantial use. i'd bet there are more out there.

secondly, if you're curious about how a certain jersey should look, often one of the best things to do is to look at a common player from that year. take this 1990 mel stottlemyre home v-neck:

www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=20714

rudy.

Comment

• Lengthwise
                      • May 2006

thank you for the info, anyone have any more info on scoreboard jerseys, I am unfamiliar with them

Comment

• kingjammy24
                        • Nov 2005

Re: tag question?

here is a thread on scoreboard jerseys:

long story short, they were non-game issued/non-game worn jerseys that were sold to the public simply as autographed jerseys by a company called scoreboard. the funny thing is that many were often done quite well - almost perfect specs, right down to the pro-style tagging. they bore a striking resemblance to legit gamers even if they were never sold as such. years later, they're popping up as gamers.

rudy.

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Its funny you point that out KingJammy I do beleive also in the last auction GreyFlannel also sold a Darryl Strawberry Game Used 90 set 1 Jersey autographed. I dont know how to look into there past auctions but if someone else can find it I remember it being sold with a Gooden Jersey.

Comment

• Eric
                            • Jan 1970

1988 Dwight Gooden Road & 1990 Darryl Strawberry Home Game-Used & Autographed Jerseys (2) (JSA)
                            Lot # 474

On the inside right front tail of the grey knit pullover, Dwight Gooden jersey is the "Rawlings" manufacturer's tag with the jersey size "44" and wash instructions on it. Attached to that are two additional manufacturer's tags with "SET 1 1988" and a strip tag that reads "88 16 44" in blue stitch. Across the front of the jersey is "NEW YORK." On the back of the jersey is the player number "16." Across the back of the jersey is "GOODEN" sewn directly on the jersey. All lettering and numbering is done in blue on orange on white triple tackle twill. On the inside left front tail of the home Darryl Strawberry, pinstripe pullover is the "Rawlings" manufacturer's tag with the jersey size "44" and wash instructions on it. Attached to that are three additional manufacturer's tags with "SET 1 1990," "1 INCH EXTRA LENGTH," and a strip tag that reads "90 1 18" in blue stitch. Across the front of the jersey is "METS." Below on the left and on the back of the jersey is the player number "18." Across the back of the jersey is "STRAWBERRY" sewn directly on the jersey. All lettering and numbering is done in blue on orange tackle twill. The jersey is autographed on front in blue marker and rates an 8. Both jerseys show wear and there appear to be no alterations of any kind. Accompanied by a LOA from James Spence Authentication.
                            Reserve Price: $250

Current Bid: $1,516

Current Time: May 11, 2006 08:01:26 PM
                            Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• suave1477
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2006

Eric thanks for the help. Actually its a 1988 tagged Jersey I thought it was a 1990, but thanks again Eric

Comment

Working...