PDA

View Full Version : New York Mets 1985 jerseys expert ???

mchmaj
08-28-2006, 01:28 PM
i got 1985 gary carter grey "METS" game used jersey and i want to make sure the tagging is proper ...

thanks
marcus

my email address is marchrisyr@aol.com

TNTtoys
08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't exactly call me an expert, but I might know enough about the tagging of the '85s to help out. Can you please either post a photo of the tag here or email it to me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com?

metsbats
08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Here are photos of my two 1985 road grey gamers of Jesse Orsoco and Ray Knight. The John Gibbons is actually from 1984, Gibby being the last Met to wear no 8 before Kid arrived in 1985. I included the Gibbons just so we all can see the positioning of the no. 8 in relation to the NOB.

Both years included a strip tag under the Rawlings tag and a flag tag set no. Year.

The strip tag typicall has player no. , size, set (Knight's is 22 42 1)

The Orosco is actually a phantom playoff jersey tagged 47 85P.

Not shown is the strip tag of the 84 Gibbons which reads 8 42 1.

Hope this helps
David

dcrules01
08-28-2006, 04:57 PM
wow they are gems ......Orosco and Knight nice jerseys now thats vintage...Id be happy with the Gibbons but Orosco and Knight...

mchmaj
08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
seem the tagging is not a question anymore, however, letters n nameplate would be a questions
heres pictures.....i also added one picture from getty image,
thanks

mchmaj
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
could the jersey had no nameplate then someone added nameplate and letters ? seem letters are alittle thicker but the numbers and METS seem fine to me

help me out

metsbats
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
could the jersey had no nameplate then someone added nameplate and letters ? seem letters are alittle thicker but the numbers and METS seem fine to me

help me out

In my opinion fonts are thicker and the letters are much too close together on the CARTER name plate.

Here's a photo of the front of one of the 85s.

TNTtoys
08-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I too own a 1985 game worn Mets gray road jersey... and the tagging looks identical to the photo of the Orosco jersey that has just been added. Your Carter has the Rawlings tag in the right place, and the set tag, but the third tag which is shown in the Orosco photo and is identical to mine is missing. Not to say that it's not real and the third tag was removed, but I would have been able to vouch for it better if it were there.

suave1477
08-29-2006, 08:38 AM
I would definitely say on the Carter the font is wrong I saw that right away before I even saw the black and white photo of Carter that was posted here.

mchmaj
08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
I would definitely say on the Carter the font is wrong I saw that right away before I even saw the black and white photo of Carter that was posted here.
what if i removed the nameplate and the jersey still legit ??
anyone know how to have nameplate and letters restored ? same font what they worn in 80s ?

let me know
in other hand, if removed nameplate and sell it , how much can it go ?

suave1477
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
If you remove the name plate that doesnt make it a legit Jersey. There are probably other problems with it that we cannot see without it being in our hands. It would also probably sell for very low with out the correct nameplate because you have no way of proving it was Carter's and people are going to question why it doesn't have a nameplate.

mchmaj
08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
If you remove the name plate that doesnt make it a legit Jersey. There are probably other problems with it that we cannot see without it being in our hands. It would also probably sell for very low with out the correct nameplate because you have no way of proving it was Carter's and people are going to question why it doesn't have a nameplate.

my question is what if its game issued jersey and someone added nameplate and letters and that screw up the jersey BUT then if i removed the nameplate then it will go back to plain game issued ?
beacuse i dont think mets and #8 are fake

the jersey has white rawlings tag inside on the side, "rawlings" 46 made in USA, behind the tag 0003k

does your 1985 mets jerseys have same tag ????

metsbats
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
my question is what if its game issued jersey and someone added nameplate and letters and that screw up the jersey BUT then if i removed the nameplate then it will go back to plain game issued ?
beacuse i dont think mets and #8 are fake

the jersey has white rawlings tag inside on the side, "rawlings" 46 made in USA, behind the tag 0003k

does your 1985 mets jerseys have same tag ????

None of the 85 or 84 jersey's I have have a white rawlings tag on the inside. The only label is the red collar labelling. I don't think professional game jerseys have white rawlings tags and i've only seen them on retail jerseys.

I agree w/ Jason that altering this jersey will never make it what is not : a game issued or game worn Gary Carter jersey.

Can you post photos of the white rawlings tag and it's exact location?

-David

suave1477
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Well by judging the Number "8" that doesnt look real either, It seems a litle smaller then the correct font and it seems to be placed to high up.

I doubt it would be a Game Issued and I could be wrong about this but you dont find hardly any Game Issued items from years ago bcuz the players wree not given as many duplicates to wear through the season.

I personally would think with all the inconsistencies this could possibly just be a vintage retail Jersey specified to look like a Carter Jersey to the person who wore this or bought it.

Just a thought!!!

mchmaj
08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
looking at the numbers #8 and mets seem match to the getty image
just the nameplate that bugged me alot !

mchmaj
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
the rawlings size 46 white tag is sewn on inside on the side of the jersey

suave1477
08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I was speaking of the "8" on the back of the Jersey doesnt match.

metsbats
08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Marcus,

I don't have a white rawling tag that says ADULT on my gamers. The fact that the white tag is on your jersey and it say "ADULT" leads me to believe you have a retail jersey. I've never seen such tagging on any game issued jerseys but on retail jerseys.

-David

TNTtoys
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I agree -- the only time I have ever seen the 'Rawlings Adult size #' is on the retail authentics.

Given the size tag is suspicious, the missing flag tag, the wrong font...

I can also add yet another 'feature' unique to this jersey -- the nameplate is not cut correctly -- it normally is wider on top and narrow on bottom, sort of a trapezoid-like shape -- this one is narrow all the way around, like a rectangle, and cut way too close to the letters. Look at the Orosco and Knight, then look at the Carter.

I think this was doctored...

kingjammy24
08-30-2006, 01:51 PM
that style of white rawlings tag shown in marcus' pic is usually indicative of a retail jersey. (rawlings did use white tagging on pro jerseys, just not that style of white tagging).

this shows a primer on pro rawlings tagging:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=991

here is a mini-primer on retail vs. pro rawlings tagging:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1764

rudy.

suave1477
08-30-2006, 02:07 PM
KingJammy ok according to your mini primer post on this thread showing the retail tags in fact proves the Carter Jersey being shown on this thread is in fact a Retail Jersey.
Correct?

mchmaj
08-31-2006, 10:46 AM
u all saying that retail tag tend to be on collar but mets #8 carter jersey has "retail" or rawlings tag on the side inside of the jersey as what gamers does... and the rawlings size tag with year n set tag are matched with gamers so is the jersey itself real but numbers n letters added ?

is it such as last minutes adding # and letters when carter signed with mets in 1985 ? in old days theres no way to make game jersey faster as what majestic can do today!!!
let me know
marcus

suave1477
08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Where the tag has been placed i dont think would really matter I can take a tag off the neck and sew it on the inside towards the bottom!!!
The question here is the tag itself and according to the research doene its a retail Jersey plain and simple not a Game Used or Game Issued. Is it possible it might be a Game Issued sure anything is possible but highly unlikely and (anything is possible doesnt make it a Game Issued).

mchmaj
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
its impossible for the tag to move to the side of the jersey beacuse the sewing is already placed with the tag of rawlings, adult 46...am not saying its gamer as just that i dont get enuff proof and it could be game issued...

in the case you are thinking ... am not going to sell it beacuse buyers wuld send it to one of houses ..... as i already seen same jersey #8 carter 1985 jersey in lelands...

thanks for all help !!!!
marcus

suave1477
08-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Nothing is impossible you can place a tag where you want a jersey, just find someone who is good at sewing and wa la you got yourself a pretty good looking tag. Again chances are this Jersey is not Game Issued, it has a retail tag on it. I am not trying to knock what you have but I don't want you to be dissapointed either to think you have something or are about to buy something that chanes are it really isn't.
I don't like to see people get scammed especially when you might have thought you come across a really good deal and you want it so bad to be the real thing. I know, I been there.
In business any business 99.9% as the saying goes if its too good to be true it usually is and if it walks like a duck talks like a duck guess what its usually a duck.

mchmaj
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM
i am good at sewing and i dont think someone sew that tag on the side as i can tell :)
however i do think someone moved the rawlings size tag from bottom tail into the collar , the bottom tail does have black marker written "46" with outline of former rawlings size tag .....
thanks
marcus

dcrules01
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Is this the same jersey???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Carter-1985-Rawlings-game-worn-jersey-NY-Mets-WOW_W0QQitemZ280219289941QQihZ018QQcategoryZ24903Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kingjammy24
04-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Is this the same jersey???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Carter-1985-Rawlings-game-worn-jersey-NY-Mets-WOW_W0QQitemZ280219289941QQihZ018QQcategoryZ24903Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yes.

rudy.

dcrules01
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Well it is up to $210 now....

TNTtoys
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks like 2 threads running now w/ same topic --

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15931

dcrules01
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
yes I bumped this thread because of the pictures...This hobby wears on me sometimes .Someone is gonna profit off another jersey that from what I have read is no more than an authentic..Here is another 85 this time a Strawberry...Seller be collectibles

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/ea/a0/b1c2_1.JPGhttp://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ea/a0/b3b1_1.JPGhttp://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/ea/a0/b616_1.JPG

island_style
04-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Here are some pictures of my 1985 Mets jersey (Sid Fernandez).

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com