Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchmaj
    • Nov 2005

New York Mets 1985 jerseys expert ???

i got 1985 gary carter grey "METS" game used jersey and i want to make sure the tagging is proper ...

thanks
    marcus

my email address is marchrisyr@aol.com
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Re: New York Mets 1985 jerseys expert ???

I wouldn't exactly call me an expert, but I might know enough about the tagging of the '85s to help out. Can you please either post a photo of the tag here or email it to me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• metsbats
      • Nov 2005

Here are photos of my two 1985 road grey gamers of Jesse Orsoco and Ray Knight. The John Gibbons is actually from 1984, Gibby being the last Met to wear no 8 before Kid arrived in 1985. I included the Gibbons just so we all can see the positioning of the no. 8 in relation to the NOB.

Both years included a strip tag under the Rawlings tag and a flag tag set no. Year.

The strip tag typicall has player no. , size, set (Knight's is 22 42 1)

The Orosco is actually a phantom playoff jersey tagged 47 85P.

Not shown is the strip tag of the 84 Gibbons which reads 8 42 1.

Hope this helps
      David
      Attached Files
      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• dcrules01
        • Nov 2005

wow they are gems ......Orosco and Knight nice jerseys now thats vintage...Id be happy with the Gibbons but Orosco and Knight...
        Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• mchmaj
          • Nov 2005

seem the tagging is not a question anymore, however, letters n nameplate would be a questions
          heres pictures.....i also added one picture from getty image,
          thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

• mchmaj
            • Nov 2005

could the jersey had no nameplate then someone added nameplate and letters ? seem letters are alittle thicker but the numbers and METS seem fine to me

help me out

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mchmaj
              could the jersey had no nameplate then someone added nameplate and letters ? seem letters are alittle thicker but the numbers and METS seem fine to me

help me out

In my opinion fonts are thicker and the letters are much too close together on the CARTER name plate.

Here's a photo of the front of one of the 85s.
              Attached Files
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                • Aug 2006

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I too own a 1985 game worn Mets gray road jersey... and the tagging looks identical to the photo of the Orosco jersey that has just been added. Your Carter has the Rawlings tag in the right place, and the set tag, but the third tag which is shown in the Orosco photo and is identical to mine is missing. Not to say that it's not real and the third tag was removed, but I would have been able to vouch for it better if it were there.
                Looking for ...
                Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• suave1477
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006

I would definitely say on the Carter the font is wrong I saw that right away before I even saw the black and white photo of Carter that was posted here.

Comment

• mchmaj
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                    I would definitely say on the Carter the font is wrong I saw that right away before I even saw the black and white photo of Carter that was posted here.
                    what if i removed the nameplate and the jersey still legit ??
                    anyone know how to have nameplate and letters restored ? same font what they worn in 80s ?

let me know
                    thanks
                    in other hand, if removed nameplate and sell it , how much can it go ?

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

If you remove the name plate that doesnt make it a legit Jersey. There are probably other problems with it that we cannot see without it being in our hands. It would also probably sell for very low with out the correct nameplate because you have no way of proving it was Carter's and people are going to question why it doesn't have a nameplate.

Comment

• mchmaj
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                        If you remove the name plate that doesnt make it a legit Jersey. There are probably other problems with it that we cannot see without it being in our hands. It would also probably sell for very low with out the correct nameplate because you have no way of proving it was Carter's and people are going to question why it doesn't have a nameplate.
                        my question is what if its game issued jersey and someone added nameplate and letters and that screw up the jersey BUT then if i removed the nameplate then it will go back to plain game issued ?
                        beacuse i dont think mets and #8 are fake

the jersey has white rawlings tag inside on the side, "rawlings" 46 made in USA, behind the tag 0003k

does your 1985 mets jerseys have same tag ????

Comment

• metsbats
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mchmaj
                          my question is what if its game issued jersey and someone added nameplate and letters and that screw up the jersey BUT then if i removed the nameplate then it will go back to plain game issued ?
                          beacuse i dont think mets and #8 are fake

the jersey has white rawlings tag inside on the side, "rawlings" 46 made in USA, behind the tag 0003k

does your 1985 mets jerseys have same tag ????
                          None of the 85 or 84 jersey's I have have a white rawlings tag on the inside. The only label is the red collar labelling. I don't think professional game jerseys have white rawlings tags and i've only seen them on retail jerseys.

I agree w/ Jason that altering this jersey will never make it what is not : a game issued or game worn Gary Carter jersey.

Can you post photos of the white rawlings tag and it's exact location?

-David
                          metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• suave1477
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

Well by judging the Number "8" that doesnt look real either, It seems a litle smaller then the correct font and it seems to be placed to high up.

I doubt it would be a Game Issued and I could be wrong about this but you dont find hardly any Game Issued items from years ago bcuz the players wree not given as many duplicates to wear through the season.

I personally would think with all the inconsistencies this could possibly just be a vintage retail Jersey specified to look like a Carter Jersey to the person who wore this or bought it.

Just a thought!!!

Comment

• mchmaj
                              • Nov 2005

looking at the numbers #8 and mets seem match to the getty image
                              just the nameplate that bugged me alot !
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...