PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Griffey Game Jersey

AuSmith
04-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Hi all,

I've been watching a Grey Flannel auction (lot #823) for a "1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Game-used Jersey." It only comes with a Grey Flannel LOA, which Grey Flannel told me carries a good bit of weight. Admittedly, I wasn't persuaded much.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=25663&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=63&seo=1989-Ken-Griffey%2C-Jr.-Rookie-Seattle-Mariners-Game-Used-Home-Jersey-(Rare)-

What do you think? Is it legit? How likely is it for a 1989 gamer to be unsigned and unauthorized by anyone until GF? If it weren't authentic, I'd say the most likely alternative would be that the tag was simply replaced by a 1989 tag. Simple enough, right?

Thank you very much for your reply.

dcgreg25
04-30-2011, 06:03 AM
AuSmith, I moved this thread to the Auction Items discussion. Please review the forum rules regarding questioning an item. It is certainly ok to ask for member opinions on an item. However, please stay away from implying wrongdoing without stating any evidence. Thanks.

griffeyfan
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I should first note that I have a 1989 Griffey home rookie jersey that I purchased from Coast To Coast in 1997. I should also mention that Coast To Coast had direct access to Griffey for game used equipment and jerseys from the mid-late 1990's.

The jersey you referenced in the current Grey Flannel auction appears to be good.

Upon reviewing the front the "24" alignment is correct in respect to the fourth button from the top as well as the position below the "Mariners" logo.

On the back the nameplate lettering style and position on the plate are also correct. The only thing that gave me pause is the lettering alignment in relation to the "24" seems to be slightly wider but that could be related to the slight fold in the middle of the jersey.

The tag also appears to be correct for the year. Griffey did wear a size 44 early in his career. There's a tag section here on the game used forum that references a 1989 Rawlings tag.

Most photos of Griffey from 1989 will show the front "2" in "24" close the the center blue piping of the jersey. I have found a couple of photos including his Topps 1989 debut card that reflect the position away from the piping. There's also a photo of Griffey on Gettyimages (August 1989) that shows the numbers away from the piping, too.

If memory serves me correct Scoreboard issued Griffey jerseys in 1991 that are similar to this style. The tag was different from the 1989 and the jersey was signed on the left front. Any Griffey game used jersey from Coast To Coast that I have seen has always been signed on the back. I wouldn't discount this jersey just because it isn't signed.

I hope that helps.