PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice 1994 GU shirt Mile High Auction

solarlottry
04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Mile High has a 1994 Rice gamer up for auction which is does not compare to getty images on a number of details. Other issues are the autograph and the LOA signed by Derrick Thomas.

1: the shirt has the 75th patch on and above the chest seam. This is NOT consistent with other 1994 49er non throwbacks (and throwbacks for that matter). ALL 1994 49er gamers had the 75th patch sewn right below the chest seam. Initially the team had the patches sewn above the chest seam but moved them before the season started to right at or below the seam. I have a # of non throwback gamers with the outline of the old patch above the seam and the patch in its eventual location. Images are attached.

2: the Wilson W on getty is ABOVE the sleeve 80 whereas the auction shirt has the W NEXT TO the sleeve 80.

3. The autograph looks terrible. i am no Jerry Rice autograph expert but this one looks off.

4. The Letter signed by Thomas is very poorly written. Incorrect grammar in a # of places plus the Thomas sig looks like an auto-pen.

I have emailed MHCC and told them of these inconsistencies so lets see what what happens. The shirt already has one bid for 900$.

The images i have posted are of the patch in the correct location followed by Getty images of Rice in the game vs. KC and finally pictures from the Mile High Card Auction.

I have absolutely nothing against MHCC and in fact if this shirt was authentic would have bid on it to win it.

Always buying 49ers gamers and offering up to 500$ finders fee for the right shirt!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Shipp_96
04-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I am somewhat of a Jerry Rice autograph expert, as I haven personally met him at least 10x when I lived out in the SF Bay Area at shows or events. He has a very consistent signature, and I agree, not one of them I own looks close to this one.

Attached below are two examples, one from a golf outing he was at and one from a Toys for Tots drive. I picked these specifically because these were not paid appearances, and he was not taking his time in signing.

legaleagle92481
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
The Rice autograph is NOT authentic. I have over 20 years of autograph collecting experience and when it comes to modern stars I have most of them down. The Thomas LOA in my opinion is also no good. If you notice it is on KC Chiefs letterhead not thoms' personal stationary. Anyone who worked for the team had access to it. Also very telling is that there are no intials on the bottom of the letter of the typist. It is doubtful that Thomas or any athlete would have sat there and typed out the letter. remember this was 94 before the age of computers and I just can't see a pro athlete sitting down typing out an LOA. Thomas' name may have been used on the LOA because he is long deceased and hence could never confirm or deny that it was his. These letters may be broad based then just one jersey and is a great way to trick people by including a suppossed LOA from a HOfer. After he died alot of Thomas' items did hit the market but the LOA was from his estate and not on Chiefs letterhead.

David
05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Thomas had a lot of signed game used stuff when he died, as he ran a charity and many fellow players donated items to him. It is true that the items from his estate, after he died, came with an COA from his estate's executor.

David
05-01-2011, 12:25 AM
It's also noteworthy that the Thomas estate auction items came with additional LOAs from MEARS for the game used and JSA for the autographs.