PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to the National in Chicago August 2011?

jake33
05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Just curious on who here is going to the national sports collector's convention this year in Chicago August 3-7?

I have never been to one and was thinking of going. From what I've heard in the past it is mostly revolving around cards and autograph appearances. How is the layout for game used?

I live about 50 minutes north of Chicago if anyone is looking to carpool to save on parking which is usually a pain in downtown Chicago.

trsent
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Just curious on who here is going to the national sports collector's convention this year in Chicago August 3-7?

I have never been to one and was thinking of going. From what I've heard in the past it is mostly revolving around cards and autograph appearances. How is the layout for game used?

I live about 50 minutes north of Chicago if anyone is looking to carpool to save on parking which is usually a pain in downtown Chicago.

The show is in Rosemont by the airport not the big city. Parking is still not cheap, like $16 or so and you have to walk across the street. The show will have lots of game used, but it is primary set around trading cards and the autograph pavilion.

You should enjoy yourself if you make the trip.

rdeversole
05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I'll be there! Pretty excited about this one. I'll be visiting The National along with the Reds in town to battle the Cubs and the Lollapalooza concert (Emimen, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Muse, My Morning Jacket, Ce Lo, and many more). It'll be a busy weekend in Chicago. I recommend Comfort Suites about a mile or two from the convention center on River Road in Schiller Park. It's a straight shoot to the center.

prichmond
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Best show of the year. Mike Armstrong has a setup usually. i would bet he has over a 1000 game used jersery's. Some dating back to the 60's. Make the trip if you can. Its well worth it
Pete

sox83cubs84
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I'll be there, but only because it's local for me...the National, to me, is the most overrated show in the hobby. I set up until 1992 or so, but I wasn't making enough to make it worthwhile. Some dealers make a mint there, others don't...but they feel compelled to set up each year, even if it puts them in the red, because of ego...they don't want to be perceived as a "second-string" or "B team" dealer by not being there.

The one good thing (besides finding a GU item you want) is being able to sometimes run across other collector friends and contacts...Forum members or otherwise...that you rarely, or maybe never, have met in person.

I'll be assisting a regular National seller at his booth.

Dave Miedema

prichmond
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Dave

can you tell us who you will be working with?

Pete

frikativ54
05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll be there, but only because it's local for me...the National, to me, is the most overrated show in the hobby. I set up until 1992 or so, but I wasn't making enough to make it worthwhile. Some dealers make a mint there, others don't...but they feel compelled to set up each year, even if it puts them in the red, because of ego...they don't want to be perceived as a "second-string" or "B team" dealer by not being there.

The one good thing (besides finding a GU item you want) is being able to sometimes run across other collector friends and contacts...Forum members or otherwise...that you rarely, or maybe never, have met in person.

I'll be assisting a regular National seller at his booth.

Dave Miedema

That's really interesting, Dave. I never realized that there was a whole culture of dealers. I guess never having wanted nor aspired to be a dealer, I didn't realize the symbolic value that going to the National would have. It must be a sort of prestige, because I cannot imagine forking over the type of money (in plane tickets, in hotel, etc.) to actually sell stuff there.

sox83cubs84
05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Dave

can you tell us who you will be working with?

Pete

Longtime area dealer Denny Graziano. I know Denny isn't exactly the cat's meow with a few people in the hobby, but I've known the the guy for close to 30 years, he's always been fair and decent to my wife and I, he loves the game, he's a solid conservative, and, since his parents died several years ago, I've been helping him at area shows to keep the mood festive and mildly party-like at his booth. I probably wouldn't even go to a local National if he wasn't setting up.

Dave Miedema