PDA

View Full Version : How to obtain GU items from player at a game

AM
05-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Hi

Need some tips on how to approach/ask an MLB player for items at a game - I assume during batting practice is best. If I wanted a glove, do I just ask politely? Or be happy with whatever he gives me, if anything?

Autographs are easy... I want gloves, cleats, etc.

Thanks

Chris78
05-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Check www.zackhample.com (http://www.zackhample.com) for someone that has obtained Major League game used items at games. Over the course of 10 years, you can see how much stuff he has accumulated besides balls. He seems to be one of the best at the MLB level (at least that has a blog or Web site).

I personally have never gotten anything at the Major League level and it would seem hard to do, although I really have not had a great chance to ask (I did see a kid get a bat at an Orioles game last year that had cracked during the game). The key might be to have season tickets for an area near the dugout where players would see you and maybe get to know you. With MLB authenticating items, it would seem harder to obtain items at the MLB level.

Chris

AM
05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks
I have gone to BP before, getting there real early and generally, depending on the size of the crowd at that time, security will let you go down to the first row during BP and you can basically stand close enough to have a normally audible conversation with players.

In my experience, they'll sign just about anything and I have seen them hand batting gloves to someone, etc. But I was wondering more for bigger items like a fielding glove, assuming they have a back up or two to dispense with. Of course, they are not going to hand you their game day glove.

Chris78
05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
A fielding glove is one item players tend to keep each year. The last game of the regular season for the team (assuming the team is not in the playoffs) might be your best bet, but I would think that this would be very difficult.

Chris

AWA85
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I would have to guess that a fielding glove would be near impossible to pick up just by asking at a game. Many players today know the value/meaning of their glove and pass them along to family members or friends. The other half of players have deals with memorabilia companies or other locations that end up selling their glove.

Hundreds of bats and batting gloves are used a year, many jerseys and hats are now worn, but many players only use one glove each season making them an almost impossible pick up at the stadium.

Skizzick
05-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I've been meaning to ask this question, but with regards to minor league games. How does one go about acquiring a bat, glove or cleats.

AM
05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I figured as much for a fielding glove - as luck would have it, it's my favorite thing to collect

AM
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Re: minor league games, I have never tried to obtain anything there. I'm under the impression the minor leaguers don't have as much stuff to give away

Although, it's always worth a shot - you won't know until you ask...

Shipp_96
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I saw a teen get slide a bat after BP from Adam Piatt in the early 2000's after BP. Was standing right next to him, he asked Adam for his batting gloves, and he replied "how about my bat instead?", signed it and slide it up to him over the dugout. Some A's would also throw batting gloves and wrist bands into the crowd after outs once in awhile. Tejada was infamous for that, mostly from being a hot head.

I have also been to Seahawks training camp and seen players give the kids or cute girls their WR gloves as well after practice.

Shipp_96
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I meant slid a bat...

AM
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Shipp_96,

I've seen the same at games

BTW, sounds like you're an A's fan - any Kotsay or Swisher items available by chance?

Thanks

Shipp_96
05-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Shipp_96,

I've seen the same at games

BTW, sounds like you're an A's fan - any Kotsay or Swisher items available by chance?

Thanks

Hello AM,

I have a Swisher signed magazine, but that is all. I used to have a signed Kotsay game worn batting helmet, but sold that years ago after he was traded. I really got out of baseball once I moved from the Bay Area, and only have a signed Chavez ball, picture as well as Hatteberg, Swisher, Ellis and Crosby signed photos left from my baseball collecting days.

Now that I live closer to Seattle again, I may start a little Mariners collection, but am really concentrating on collecting football GU from my dual Alma maters of Penn State and Shippensburg University.

AM
05-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Sounds cool
Good luck

Preston
05-13-2011, 08:14 PM
For football it's quite easy for the most part...just wait til after the game and go to the tunnel and see what you can get. I've got PSLs at the visiting tunnel at our stadium (Titans) so I've gotten a bunch of cool stuff and I know who all of it belongs to! ha ha

Over time I've probably gotten well over 100 gloves, some cleats, wristbands etc.

ryant7
05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I posted this in another thread when i was younger before i became a batboy i was at every louisville bats baseball game from opening day of the inaug. season till after i became a batboy and ultimately quit but while attending games i would always show up when the doors open you can usually catch the last part of the visiting teams batting practice, i always walked down the aisle to the edge of the dugout and looked in to see if any bats were cracked during bp... if i seen one i would ask the nearest player (learn your rosters) i always called them by there first name (more personal than calling them by the name on there jersey) and i always asked politely, in my "prime" i could get 2-3 bats a game.... also always stay for the game of course and pay attention when a bat breaks it is audibly different then a normal hit watch what player broke it i always went down to my same location at about the bottom of the 8th (depending on who was winning) and would sit on the front row and wait till the end of the game. I would catch the players coming off the field and walking into the tunnel at the end of the game try and catch the player as he is grabbing his bats, equip, etc.... normally they would just hand it up if the player that broke it wont usually another will (hence knowing your roster) once recieving the bat or 2 or 3 i would go out back wait for them to leave and get them signed. Of course after management seeing me at every game for 3 years it was easy to approach them for a job Mary Barney hired me with little more than a hey your here everyday might as well get paid for it i can tell you love the game kid. It will be hard at first depending on how shy you or in this case maybe your kid is but they will open up hell it made me who i am i dont have a problem approaching anyone for anything at this point in my life. Hope this helps you !!!!!! also to add i believe one guy said at the minor league level they may not have much to give away.... i know this may be true for about double A and below but at the triple-A level you wouldnt believe some of the stuff the guys have i know a couple players who would have 4-5 gloves all being the same with same amount of use they just had a hard time picking which one for a particular game.

ryant7
05-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I posted this in another thread when i was younger before i became a batboy i was at every louisville bats baseball game from opening day of the inaug. season till after i became a batboy and ultimately quit but while attending games i would always show up when the doors open you can usually catch the last part of the visiting teams batting practice, i always walked down the aisle to the edge of the dugout and looked in to see if any bats were cracked during bp... if i seen one i would ask the nearest player (learn your rosters) i always called them by there first name (more personal than calling them by the name on there jersey) and i always asked politely, in my "prime" i could get 2-3 bats a game.... also always stay for the game of course and pay attention when a bat breaks it is audibly different then a normal hit watch what player broke it i always went down to my same location at about the bottom of the 8th (depending on who was winning) and would sit on the front row and wait till the end of the game. I would catch the players coming off the field and walking into the tunnel at the end of the game try and catch the player as he is grabbing his bats, equip, etc.... normally they would just hand it up if the player that broke it wont usually another will (hence knowing your roster) once recieving the bat or 2 or 3 i would go out back wait for them to leave and get them signed. Of course after management seeing me at every game for 3 years it was easy to approach them for a job Mary Barney hired me with little more than a hey your here everyday might as well get paid for it i can tell you love the game kid. It will be hard at first depending on how shy you or in this case maybe your kid is but they will open up hell it made me who i am i dont have a problem approaching anyone for anything at this point in my life. Hope this helps you !!!!!! also to add i believe one guy said at the minor league level they may not have much to give away.... i know this may be true for about double A and below but at the triple-A level you wouldnt believe some of the stuff the guys have i know a couple players who would have 4-5 gloves all being the same with same amount of use they just had a hard time picking which one for a particular game.

AM
05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for posting