PDA

View Full Version : FedEx Problem

GoTigers
05-12-2011, 06:39 AM
I think I just shipped with fedex for the last time. I had a couple bats packaged up and ready to go when I walked in there, and had the shipping form filled out with an insured value of $1000. I walk up to the counter and when the lady sees the value she says...
"what's in the box"
"bats"
"they special or something?"
"yes"
"autographed or something?"
"yes" (they were autod and game used but didn't feel I needed to explain)

So, she could see I was getting frustrated from all the questions. And the guys working there were looking at me because I just told them there's $1000 of special autographed bats in the box. Now I couldn't believe what she said next.

"the reason I ask, is because if they are autographed or something and we loose them, we won't give you $1000. We'll just give you enough money to go buy a couple generic bats"... I can't believe that's the policy. I mean if you ship out some antiques are they just going to cover the cost of a replacement from walmart? Has anyone heard this before? I may be paranoid but felt like they were trying to get me to waive insurance after I told them the value, and what they were, and they were going to get "lost" right when I left.

5toolplayer
05-12-2011, 06:46 AM
that lady was an idiot. I went to a Fed EX home office and shipped back 5 Montero, Laird, Granderson bats from Spring training that I obtained in Tampa and when I brought them in I told them I needed them packed up so they wouldn't rub together and I need 1500 insurance on the box. No other questions were asked. Insurance is insurance they can't tell u what your items are worth. Slap that lady and use another fed ex location

2000mvpfan
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey guys..
I'm a courier for FedEx Express,and although that nutbag should NEVER have been making an in-depth issue about it like that,-she's correct.
Its either in the fine print on the back of the airbill or in a handbook I once read,but they will not insure collectibles,artwork,etc. where the "value" of the item is open to interpretation.If I can find the literature,I'll post it for you guys to see.

Joe

GoTigers
05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
That's crazy, Im going to have to find out if UPS or USPS covers this stuff or quit wasting money on insurance. I understand not covering sentimental value but if I'm shipping a collectable with an established market value, especially if it has COAs, I should be able to insure it. For some of these items it is too big of a risk. FedEx should make that common knowledge. It makes me cringe to think of the risks I've taken with them in the past if my insurance didn't cover my items.

If this is all true it really makes me mad that I've spent hundreds on bogus insurance fees over the years, I'm going to read the fine print on my shipping form tonight.

GoTigers
05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I looked it up on the fedex website:

Packages containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $1,000:

Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

Film, photographic images (including photographic negatives), photographic chromes and photographic slides.
Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.

Collector's items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia.

Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.

Plasma screens.

Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.

Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.

Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).
Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, gift cards and gift certificates, prepaid calling cards (excluding those that require a code for activation), bond coupons, and bearer bonds.
Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and customized or personalized musical instruments.
Packages returned through the FedEx Ground Package Returns Program (PRP). See the Return Options section.

GoTigers
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
So, they'll gladly charge you for more coverage but youre on your own over $1000. I guess that lady was wrong, but in the future if I have to ship a higher end item, I'll be going somewhere else.

2000mvpfan
05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Jimmy-
Yes..looks like that's been revised since last time I read it-I once didn't send an item to a private signing thru them for fear it wouldn't be covered.
But correct,anything over $1000 (like the $1500 mentioned on this thread) and you'd have a problem getting reimbursed.Unfortunately,I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same with the other major carriers.

Joe