PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to anyone else

kings418
05-13-2011, 03:41 AM
I decided to bid on a Cowboys jersey in an auction that ended tonight. Right after I bid, I am told that I have been outbid, so I decide to bid on another Cowboys jersey. The same thing happens on that jersey, so I decide to bid on a third jersey and I am again immediately outbid, so I figure oh well, no big deal.
After the auction ends, I get an invoice from the auction house for 2 of the 3 jerseys. How do I win 2 auctions that I was outbid on, and more importantly, the only reason I bid on the second jersey was because I was outbid on the first. Now I guess I am supposed to pay for 2 shirts when I was only looking to pick up one.
I have emailed the auction house and since it will take some time for them to get back to me, I hate to speculate, but something seems a little fishy here. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Vince

Mulligans
05-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes....a few times on AMI. Do you have the email stating that you were outbid?

What did you lose....what did you get?.....I picked up one of those Cowboy Jerseys.....hopefully I didn't take yours.....:)

kings418
05-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I won the Canty, the main jersey I wanted, and the blue Davis jersey. I heard back from the auction house today and it looks like a bidder that had been banned from the auction for nonpayment registered under a different name and his bids were removed at the last minute. I have been given the choice of just paying for the Canty if I that is what I decide. I think that is fair and I have no complaints.

Vince

rufusandherschel
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
I won the Canty, the main jersey I wanted, and the blue Davis jersey. I heard back from the auction house today and it looks like a bidder that had been banned from the auction for nonpayment registered under a different name and his bids were removed at the last minute. I have been given the choice of just paying for the Canty if I that is what I decide. I think that is fair and I have no complaints.

Vince

The same thing happened to me recently with AMI. I was informed that I was outbid on an item, so I assumed that it was over. Following morning/day I received an invoice stating that I had 'won' and was informed that the high bidder's bid was 'canceled' because s/he was from a foreign country for which they (AMI) could not verify the account information. Is this a new form of 'shill' bidding being employed? :rolleyes:

matt
05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
This has been discussed many times here before. AMI basically uses an artificial "starting bid" and then uses a hidden reserve to autobid against you, so you get these immediate outbids. Many of their items move from auction to auction unsold this way, but plenty of our members have had the experience of a callback after being "outbid" with some explaination of why they really won. I tend to assume that any lot with an even number of bids is still under the reserve.

Just to save myself the flamefest, let me quickly say that I see nothing really wrong with this since their rules allow the consigner bidding, so there is no foul play here. Plenty of member have been very happy with AMI. They just have an unusual approach to an auction in my opinion

Matt Miller

rufusandherschel
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
This has been discussed many times here before. AMI basically uses an artificial "starting bid" and then uses a hidden reserve to autobid against you, so you get these immediate outbids. Many of their items move from auction to auction unsold this way, but plenty of our members have had the experience of a callback after being "outbid" with some explaination of why they really won. I tend to assume that any lot with an even number of bids is still under the reserve.

Just to save myself the flamefest, let me quickly say that I see nothing really wrong with this since their rules allow the consigner bidding, so there is no foul play here. Plenty of member have been very happy with AMI. They just have an unusual approach to an auction in my opinion

Matt Miller

Interesting perspective! I would have never 'thunk' of that.