PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad News on Harmon Killebrew

BostonSportsFan
05-13-2011, 04:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6540158

How incredibly sad and tragic. I think we all heard that Harmon was going to be in for a long fight however it sounds like this will not have a happy ending.

A true gentleman in every single sense of the word. One of the nicest guys anyone would ever meet.

God bless the Killebrew family during this difficult and sad time.

Joe

schubert1970
05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Amen
:(

freddiefreeman5
05-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I always like Killebrew. Great slugger and great guy.
He will be greatly missed.

gingi79
05-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Harmon is one of the last truly spectacular players whose reputation with the fans is beyond reproach. The man did not just sign autographs, he talked to young and old alike as if they were old friends.

My wife loves the show Step by Step. (it was an ABC TGIF show in the 90's starring Patrick Dempsey and a very MILFy Suzanne Sommers) Harm played himself in one episode. When I say himself, I mean, he just spoke his opinion as himself. He was a sports reporter who watched one of the main characters interaction with a modern home run hitting player and the chump asked this poor kid to pay $50 for his autograph. Of course the kid didn't have it and the "star" walked away. Harm walked up and apologized for him and told the kid who he was. "I may not be that guy, but I once hit almost 600 home runs" The kid was overjoyed and his faith in baseball was restored.

I just thought it was relevant.

gorilla777
05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Very sobering news that I cannot imagine handling with more grace and dignity than Mr. Killebrew...

sox83cubs84
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Harmon was a class guy, period. He was good to fans as well as media and teammates.

I recall helping Ballhawk Rich Buhrke sell much of his collection in the late 1990s. The first one we sold was an early 70s Killebrew HR ball from Comiskey Park. Fred Budde (who, I believe sold his collection via Lelands a few years ago) was the buyer.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Rest in peace.

gorilla777
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Rest in peace.

He has not passed away....

CampWest
05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
He has not passed away....

Killebrew Dead At 74

Harmon Killebrew, who hit 573 home runs during his Hall of Fame career, died Tuesday from the effects of esophageal cancer. Story » (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6559023)

halofan
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Very sad news. A true H.O.F. and a great human being.:(

Vintagedeputy
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Goodbye Killer....thanks for the memories. RIP

3arod13
05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Harmon Killebrew for about an hour back in 2003. A tremendous love for baseball and his fans. He will be missed, and is now on his way to the Heaven Hall of Fame.

both-teams-played-hard
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Cool song that Helen Hanson brought to my attention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_m9jEQCDo

sox83cubs84
05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I find it shocking that the ex-players that go into hospice care always seem to die so quickly after that entrance. With Sparky Anderson and Bob Feller, it seemed as if they were put in hospice care one day and died the next.
Killebrew only lasted a few days himself. Is it that hospice care is that poor, or are these guys so much further gone when the announcement is made than the media reports convey in their reporting?

Dave Miedema

BaseballGM
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
I just went through this scenario with my father who passed two months ago at the same age as Harmon. My father was in hospice care for two days before he departed. The care he received was great. What you have to understand is that they are there to help you exit this world with dignity and as little pain as possible. Once you are under hospice care, as the goal of "getting better" will not happen, the medicines used to regulate you and keep you alive, like blood pressure, blood thinners/clotters, etc., are stopped. The natural life processes take over as your body begins to break down. I think you somehow have an understanding of what's happening to you, as my father did. He never "gave up" rather his body wore out.

otismalibu
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
SI photo gallery.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/mlb-harmon-killebrew-rare-photos/content.1.html

hdavid_27
05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
I find it shocking that the ex-players that go into hospice care always seem to die so quickly after that entrance. With Sparky Anderson and Bob Feller, it seemed as if they were put in hospice care one day and died the next.
Killebrew only lasted a few days himself. Is it that hospice care is that poor, or are these guys so much further gone when the announcement is made than the media reports convey in their reporting?

Dave Miedema

I too had an experience a few years ago with Hospice. My father had throat cancer and was placed in hospice care for the last 9 days of his life. The care given is excellent, and the job that those nurses do is amazing! As the previous poster said, their job is not to save the person for whom they are working, but to make the last days of their life as comfortable as possible. They also offer grief counseling after the passing of the loved one, and continued to check on me and my family for a year after my fathers passing. RIP KILLER

sox83cubs84
05-17-2011, 10:24 PM
BBGM and Hadvid:

Thanks for the persona perspectives...I understand the process better now. My condolences for your respective losses.

Dave M.