PDA

View Full Version : Paint pen autograph advice!

Canseco44
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I have heard And read on this board that sharpies are not all that great to get things signed with. But what about sharpie paint pens? I have read numerous posts about deco paint pens, but all they had were fine tip. I have medium tip sharpie brand paint pens, and they look good on paper, but has anyone ever had experience with actually having athletes sign with them? I am having several bats, a batting helmet, and a pair of cleats signed. A few of these are very rare items including Canseco's 400th HR bat and ball, and his 300th HR game worn batting helmet. I am getting these signed tomorrow, so can you guys give me advice on getting each medium signed and what to use? I also have a jersey I am getting signed on the numbers. Thanks for any help and advice in advance. Btw, this is happening tomorrow at noon, so please help soon! Any pics would help also.

Thanks everyone!

Skizzick
05-13-2011, 05:24 PM
DO NOT use Sharpie paint pens. They are terrible. Decocolor is the best, in my opinion, and they sell them at AC (in broad tip as well). You can also get Prismacolor in broad tip, which they'll have at Michael's and AC Moore.

Preston
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Decos are awesome...PenTouch isn't bad either, but if you can find Deco, use it. But make SURE you have a dependable pen before you get your item signed (obviously) - as they sometimes can crap out on you after one use, or sometimes after 10 uses. They're REALLY funny like that.

mad87man
05-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Honestly if you are doubting or questioning it think twice about getting it signed. I mean the items are rare and if somehow the paint pen bleeds or leaks the jersey is pretty much ruined. Not to be a downer or anything but i would think about it twice just in case.

Canseco44
05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
If I can find a deco, on the way there, at a michaels, should I use the broad tip or the medium tip pen? I have a few brand new sharpie paint pens that I have tested on a couple of stock bats and they seem ok. Why do they have a bad rap? Don't last, run, not dependable? Thank you guys for all the help your giving. I will look for a deco on the way to Arlington.

Thanks

Skizzick
05-13-2011, 09:33 PM
They just aren't dependable, and they bleed and run. Deco's have never failed me, but always have it juiced up before you use it to sign. For a bat, broad tip is the best. The signature comes out big and bold.

neverfinished94
05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Sharpie paint pens suck! I've used them a few times and they sucked every time. Even ruined a Nolan Ryan sig using one

Shipp_96
05-13-2011, 11:01 PM
As someone who has numerous autographs, everyone on here is correct; Sharpies paint pens are horrible. They look washed out, fade, and most clothing (sometimes even photos) once signed they bleed thru and look bad.

A great paint pen is Pen Touch. I bought all of mine over 7 years ago, and a couple of shakes while in line before a signing and they are still a champ! I have personally NEVER had an issue with these, they are true paint, and never do fade with proper care. Plus I love the boldness of the autos. Every hat, jersey and helmet I get signed, I bring these bad boys. Even if the signing has pens for the athletes, I still insist on these.

jake33
05-14-2011, 06:20 PM
shawn riggan PX30 paint pen, great on game used bases and batting helmet too

Klattsy
05-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me somewhere in NYC to pick these up? Or the best online store? I can have my auntie bring them over in August or if there is a decent online store with reasonable shipping i'd appreciate the heads up. Does anyone have a picture of the pen itself so I know what i'm looking for?

Thanks,
Mark.

neverfinished94
05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I order my Deco's from markersupply.com

Klattsy
05-14-2011, 09:17 PM
I order my Deco's from markersupply.com

Is this them?
http://www.markersupply.com/madefipo.html

neverfinished94
05-15-2011, 08:26 PM