PDA

View Full Version : Indictment of Mets Equipment Manager

soxbats
05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
You probably all have read by now that the former mets equipment manager was indicted for allegedly stealing a huge amount of game used equipment, one paper reporting "Included in Samuels' massive memorabilia heist were 507 signed and unsigned jerseys, 304 hats, 828 bats, 22 batting helmets and 10 equipment bags seized from the basement of the friend's house in Madison, CT."

I have a few questions that I will throw out for your consideration. What do you think the chances are that the team did not know that all of this equipment was removed from the premises?

Also, how do you think this will affect the old fashioned ways that things come out of clubhouses, like batboys, clubhouse guys and player hangers on?

GrndSlm
05-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I sincerely don't think that it will affect anything at all. Usually, the clubhouse managers have a budget given to them by the club. Lets say, 2 million, to give the players all the equipment that they need. Now, if a player keeps a jersey or if a clubhouse guy sells a gamer, then as long as it gets replaced then you are not going to affect the Teams equipment budget. I just got Livan's 450 consecutive start jersey from the clubhouse manager. He asked me for 150 to replace it and thats it ! The jersey gets replaced and the teams budget does not get affected.
At least thats the way that I see it.

Juan Iglesias

Redsman20
05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I honestly cant see him getting charged with everything that he has been charged with. I think most of the allegations seem ridiculous involving the getting things signed and getting game used stuff from players that gave to him.... I think this will change things a little bit. I think more clubs are becoming more and more aware how much of a market there is for game used memoribillia...I think it will lead to a lot more things being authenticated or atleast certified by teams which is good for the collectors like us but at the same time I think that it will start to cut back on the "black market" of game used stuff. But it wont stop players from giving fans and friends gear so we will always have some form of a black market and there will always be individuals with teams whether they are clubbies or other employees alot of items will still get out.

Just my opinion.

ironmanfan
04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Appears as if Samuels is avoiding any jail time

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/ex_mets_clubhouse_manager_samuels_eZiUUyHJv20byCHB fxl5bO