PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel and Ebay

rose14
08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I noticed that Gray Flannel is now running live auctions on Ebay. I know a couple of auctions house are now teaming up with Ebay. How does everyone feel about that.

The negatives that I can see is that Ebay has a lot of people that bid just to bid and that have no intentions on actually purchasing the item if they end up as the high bidder. Most people that are registered with auction houses can pay in a timely manner, but with Ebay you are letting every Tom, Dick and Harry place a bid without ever know that they actually were going to honor their bid.

I know several people including myself that purchase items from these auction houses for resale on Ebay will probably be impacted. A person would probably have to sit on an item or a while before trying to sell it back on Ebay.

I know on the recent Lelands auction I bank wired my payment the day I received my email invoice from them but with auction houses using Ebay where sometime bidders tend to take forever to send payment it could have an effect on consigner payments.

How does everyone feel when a major auction house teams up with Ebay?

Todd

otismalibu
08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Is the eBay version of the GFC auction supposed to have the current bid price (from the GFC website) or does it simply keep track of the eBay bids?

Just wondering.

Greg

pictureman
08-30-2006, 03:05 PM
You have to register with Grey Flannel in order to bid.

both-teams-played-hard
08-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Most people that are registered with auction houses can pay in a timely manner, but with Ebay you are letting every Tom, Dick and Harry place a bid without ever know that they actually were going to honor their bid.

I disagree. I have done business with Tom, Dick and Harry. They're good people.

allstarsplus
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
It is smart for Grey Flannel to get the extra exposure by going on eBay. They reach potentially millions of additional bidders who they can then add to their database.

Keep in mind, if you bid thru eBay you pay a gigantic 22.5% buyers premium compared to 17.5% going directly thru Grey Flannel.

As far as bidding thru eBay, you have to get pre-approved which will allows them to not accept the bidders with the ZERO or negative feedback.

I originally found Robert Edwards Auctions thru eBay and now get their catalogues direct.