Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylehess10
    • Feb 2006

Which Was Your First?........

What was your very first piece of game used memorabilia that you ever bought? Mine was my Glenn Hubbard game used bat which I bought on eBay when I was only 12 years old! I eventually got it signed and I still have it in my collection today. I'd love to hear about how other forum member's got their first piece too.
    kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
    http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/
  • bigtime59
    • Nov 2005

Re: Which Was Your First?........

1989 Craig Worthington Orioles orange alternate jersey, purchased at the 1999 FanFest...the beginning of a long, slow decline!
    Mark
    msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
      • Aug 2006

Her name was...

Ohhhh, we were talking about game worn equipment...

I believe it was a blue 1987 Mets "New York" in silver script batting practice jersey from former pitcher Rick Anderson. I kind of picked this up by accident. This was always my favorite style Mets jersey and I wanted to add one to my collection... the fact that it was worn by a Met from that year was a bonus.

I've since sold the jersey (possibly within the last two months or so) because I picked up 2 others from that year, and I thought 3 would be a bit much... too many others on the wish list to have 3 of the same style.
      Looking for ...
      Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
      Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
      Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• sfgiants452
        • Jan 2006

I am lucky enough to have a dad that had collected memorabilia and he handed it over to me. HIs auto'd baseballs and all the hockey sticks (24 total 2 gretzski's, messier, etc) from his dealing with all the players for hockey fights giving him the nickname from the nhl players "the godfather of fights". He was known nationally and in canada for it. Now being fifteen I only started collecting when I was 13 so I started off with my dads stuff and I believe the first thing I bought was a Veterans Stadium g/u set. Piece of turf,wall, and a bottle of the first base dirt for $50 at Citizen Bank the year after the Vet was demolished. On the same day I bought a game used Carlos Lee jersey g/u off of ebay.

Anthony

Comment

• cjmedina1
          • Oct 2005

My first bat I bought was a 1999 Mcgwire gamer.I decided to collect sign gamers and sold the bat and bought a 2000 Mcgwire gamer sign.I own 4 sign gamers and looking to add 2 more in the next month.

Comment

• EurekaDave
            • Sep 2005

The first game used items of note came from the late Dick Dobbins. I guess I saw an ad in a collectors' magazine and for $100 I got a Willie McGee game used bat AND hat. I had not even thought of it as a hobby until I opened the box and realized I was holding in my hands legitimate pieces of a great player and great game. I've been hooked ever since.

Comment

• pietraynor
              • Nov 2005

My first game used item also came courtesy of Dick Dobbins..Back in 1986 he offered the S.F. Giants jerseys in an SCD ad, purchased the #35 Chris Brown Gray W/U & was hooked! I would later purchase 3 more Brown jerseys from him. After reaching the All-Star Game in the late-'80s, he fell out of favor w/SF front office, was traded to the Padres, then exited the game a few years later. Last I heard, Brown was working for Halliburton on oil wells in Iraq. Jay

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

Ray Knight Worth game used bat I picked up in 1992. Still have it till this day.

-David
                metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• eGameUsed
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006

Great Thread! Jim Pankovits gave me a cracked bat over the dugout in the Astrodome in 1987. I was 9 years old. 18 years later and still going strong! I do still have the bat and it is the last item I would ever sell!

Comment

• geoff
                    • Nov 2005

It was about the same time so im not sure.It was either a Capitals Kelly Miller game used hockey stick or a Jr Rider complete Timberwolves jersey and shorts.Also a great thread by the way.Geoff

Comment

• Kid4hof03
                      • Nov 2005

In 1989 Mickey Morandini gave me a bat he cracked while play for Scranton. In the same game I caught a foul ball off of Morandini's bat. I still have the bat around here somewhere.

Abe

Comment

• Kid4hof03
                        • Nov 2005

It might have been 1990, can't remember which summer.

Comment

• island_style
                          • Nov 2005

Game used baseball from the 1978 World Series (Dodgers-Yankees) at Dodger Stadium. It was given to me from a relative who worked one of the cameras (ABC at that time, I think). I still have the baseball. That was my first game used item.

Ron.
                          Rsamiano@aol.com

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                            • Nov 2005

In the late 80s I paid $10 for a g/u, unc. Ted Simmons bat at a Braves game. Later that year I was told they weren't being sold anymore because people were using them as weapons. And they say Braves fans aren't passionate.
                            "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• camarokids
                              • Jun 2006

My first gamer was given to me by Glenn Borgmann , Minnestoa Twins #14 catcher 1971-79, I still have that bat . The first bat I bought was in 1997 at The Pirates Clubhouse Store in Johnstown, Pa , a Kevin Young gamer .
                              Thank you,
                              David

This is my email address here!
                              dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

Working...