Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intheminors
    • Jul 2006

Randy "Macho Man" Savage Passes Away

Wow, for some of us wrestling fans, this is very shocking!

TMZ.com is reporting that pro wrestling legend Randy Poffo, aka "Macho Man" Randy Savage, died today in a car accident in Tampa, Florida. He was…

The following is from TMZ.com: Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the most famous wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Tampa, Florida ... TMZ has learned.
    TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 10 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.
    Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.
    Savage was 58.
    Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh."
    More shortly.
  • otismalibu
    • Nov 2005

Re: Randy "Macho Man" Savage Passes Away

I didn't realize that Leaping Lanny Poffo was his brother.

Hey, he almost made it to 60. That's almost unheard of when you're talking about former professional wrestlers.
    Greg
    DrJStuff.com

Comment

• Dewey2007
      • Dec 2007

Wow, that's sad to hear. Macho Man was also in the Cubs organization in the early 70's. Here's his minor league stats:

Randy Poffo Minor Leagues Statistics including batting, fielding, prospect rankings and more on Baseball-Reference.com

He definitely made the right choice to go into wrestling!
      sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• Dewey2007
        • Dec 2007

Correction: Macho Man was in the Cardinals and Reds organizations during his minor league career...
        sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• jake33
          • Nov 2005

untimely death is always sad, not overly suprised about Randy.

Obscure facts/rumors:

He actually was a fairly short guy.

He didn't have the kindest words about Liz when she passed a while back.

Rumored to have gotten into a fight with Hulk the night before Wrestlemania IX, Hogan showed up witha black eye for the event

Had a real life disagreement with Honky Tonk man, Honky refused to lose to IC title to him. To make up for not getting him the belt, the WWF had Randy win at Wrestlemania IV. DiBiase was supposed to win it, and to make it up to him, they created the million dollar belt

Hawk from legion of Doom and him also had a real life feud, Hawk was not shy about calling macho man a "miserable" person - rf shoot interview...

Was on the losing end of 2 matches that are deemed some of the best in wrestlemania hisotry, Vs. Warrior in 1991 at WM 7 and vs. Steamboat at WM3

Runner up at 1993 royal rumble

botched the finish at WM10 vs. Crush, he didn't tie the rope tight enough and crush fell

Was also upset at HBK at WM10 for running a match too long, which caused the timing of the event to be off

Comment

• jake33
            • Nov 2005

Also,

Ultiamte Warrior was the wrestler signed on for the slim jim commercials which ran for a couple months, When warrior was fired in 1991, Savage took on the role.

Comment

• freddiefreeman5
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Snap into a steroid.........I mean a Slim Jim.

Comment

• otismalibu
                • Nov 2005

He looked a little different w/o the dye and accessories.

Greg
                DrJStuff.com

Comment

• sammy
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

That was a lot of information from a die hard fan, I presume.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by freddiefreeman5
                    Snap into a steroid.........I mean a Slim Jim.

Comment

• trsent
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

During his time in the WWF ring, he was one of the most entertaining sports entertainers of all time. His later jump to WCW changed his character and persona, which was too bad because he never regained the in ring charm and charisma he once had.

Even a great like Rowdy Roddy Piper has been able to keep his part time character interesting years after his heyday, but Macho Man just became another number.

It is sad to hear of his passing today. He is a true legend and it is sad to see his name go up on the dead wrestlers web sites.

Comment

• Lokee
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

One of my all time favorites. RIP Randy

Comment

• camarokids
                          • Jun 2006

He used to come into my dad's service station in St. Pete all the time. The sweet blonde that was his girl in the late 1990's was so beautiful & innocent looking. I remember drooling over her when she would come into to pay for gas or get a drink. She was soooo fine. Then after going out with MM for awhile, he and the wrestling life turned her into a slutty looking ho.
                          Thank you,
                          David

This is my email address here!
                          dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• R.Mansfield
                            • Mar 2009

Macho Man was definitely one of the best of all-time. I place him on a short top 5 list. He had a great persona, personality, in-ring ability, athleticism…

I almost enjoyed him more when he was doing some of the voice commentary for the WWF in the early-mid 90’s. Within the grand realm of the wrestling world, he always came off as intelligent and interesting.

His persona did change in the 90’s, but so did everyone else in wrestling, the target audience moved.

As far as the blonde, I believe that was probably Gorgeous George (Stephanie Bellars), who he found when she when she working in a strip club. She didn’t exactly start off as one of the Brady girls…

Nonetheless, I don’t think that Macho receives the respect he should. Yes he did do steroids, but I am unaware of any other criticism or controversy within his life.

It was Miss Elizabeth who became mixed up with drugs and died after they split in Lex Luger’s home, away from Savage.

I don’t think Vince McMahon and the WWE gives him the recognition he deserves, as they do with other “Legends”.

I will miss him greatly, he is truly one of the best Wrestlers and Entertainers of all time IMHO.

Russell Mansfield
                            batdna@sbcglobal.net

Comment

• camarokids
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by R.Mansfield

As far as the blonde, I believe that was probably Gorgeous George (Stephanie Bellars), who he found when she when she working in a strip club. She didn’t exactly start off as one of the Brady girls…

Russell Mansfield
                              batdna@sbcglobal.net
                              Wow another stripper. There seems to be so many of them in the Tampa bay area. I did not know she was a stripper. She put on a nice facade when I saw her at the station.....
                              Thank you,
                              David

This is my email address here!
                              dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

Working...