PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams Bat in Lelands Auction

matt
05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Per forum policy, I already exchanged email with Mike Heffner of Lelands before posting this for your info. He agreed to look into it and adjust the description if appropriate. Quick and responsible action by Lelands so far.

The description of this Williams bat likely needs some correction:
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/66731

It is titled as a "1960 Game Used" Ted Williams bat. If you look at the centerbrand and compare to the excellent Vince Malta reference book, it looks like a C-16, made from 1961 to 1964. The "Trademark Reg" text below the oval is smaller than the C-15 and the alignment of the "125" is spot on for the C-16. I have never seen a C-15 like this one.

The trouble is that Ted retired after 1960. Further, this bat matches perfectly his post-career orders for 42 W215 bats at 35" and 32 ounces in 1961 when he was a coach for the red sox. I think this is one of those bats. It is still reasonably valuable as such, but to me is unlikely to be game used.

Another interesting set of data comes from the recent REA auction where they sold one of TW's last bats from his last game ( http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=19684 (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=19684) ) with pretty good provenance for $20K. It was still a W183, and it seems that this was the last model he really used much in his career.

Given all that, I think this is a post-career Williams bat, and hope they correct the listing so someone does not spent $5-$10K thinking it will authenticate well as a game used player bat.

Am I off base here and missing something? I do not want to mess up this sale, but I think this is a pretty good match.

Matt Miller

ferrisfain41
06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Matt, you raise a VG guestion.
I have a Stan Musial jersey worn AFTER he retired, he used it in spring traning in 67, verified in Cards history. He was GM who took BP!
I want to choose an auction house, but am nervous.
Do you have opinion on Lelands, v Grey Flannel v Hunt?
Any advice from any reader helpful here in putting the Musial jersey in the right hands. There will be NO errors or misrepresentations by me on the item

Ferris

matt
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Ferris -

Lelands has now changed the listing, but they did it by adding an additional note that the bat is "most likely" from a post-career period. They left the whole original description and lot title saying it is a "Game Used 1960" Ted Williams bat...which is really not right IMO. So I cannot say I am feeling great about that. I think many auction houses would have ignored, my email, so Lelands deserves credit. But it seems to me this should not be called a game used 1960 bat which was most likely used post-career. It was not made until 1961...after retirement.

I think that if you as the consignor are clear with your description, most auction houses will represent it correctly. I am guessing the consignor of this bat thought it was from 1960 and did not have access to the proper reference material.

In terms of what auction house gets the best prices and has the most solid reputation, I would say Grey Flannel or Hunt. REA is also great. I have bought at all of them.

Matt Miller