View Full Version : Look at these coments re:forum and other subjects

dodgersfan
09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.jimyackel.com/editorial.htm

Rudy

TNTtoys
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Rudy

That's a bit disappointing... the single biggest turnoff with the hobby is this bulletin board?? It's bulletin boards like this that allow us to network & share information with one another -- which is a critical aspect of every hobby. I think that some of these people have rocks in their heads and should see things for the good they bring.

Nick

sportscentury
09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Rudy and others,

Certainly, I don't agree with the negative comments about GUU. With that said, Jim Yackel is associated with GUU and is featured in the Experts' Corner. He easily could have left these comments out, so I appreciate the honesty with which he included them in his report. There are times when it does get a little negative on GUF, but the positivity far outweighs any negativity in my estimation.

Reid

camarokids
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
That's why I am staying away from buying game used jerseys , unless they come directly from the team , the only jersey's I have bought were from the Devil Rays in 1998 & 99 & I have a Pirates from their fanfest . So I feel pretty good about the ones I have . I am sticking with bats . Even with bats , you gotta do your homework and know what your buying . Still there is nothing better or more cherished than getting a bat from the player himself . That just makes my day to get a bat from a player:D:D:D:D:D ! !1543

34swtns
09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
In regards to the comments made in Jim's survey (which, to be very clear, were NOT made by Jim, so I'd better not see people using this forum to disrespect him):
While I agree that a qualified forum is certainly a useful asset to any hobby and it's participants, the average message board is generally full to the brim with negative individuals who find it enjoyable to waste their day using their keyboards to troll for a fight. Randomly espousing their "expertise" on any and all given subjects simply for the singular purpose of disagreeing with YOU. I mainly just lurk this board, primarally because I'm an NFL GU collector and the majority of the discussion here is directed towards MLB items, and I see examples this behavior from individuals from time to time. It's irritating to me and I can't imagine how aggrivating it must be for a true expert to be questioned by some naysaying douche at every turn. If I were the mod for this or ANY forum I would most certainly run it more like a "dictatorship". Screw freedom of speech, if your main purpose is that of a shizit-stirrer, you're gone. I'd be deleting accounts left and right.

stkmtimo
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
In regards to the comments made in Jim's survey (which, to be very clear, were NOT made by Jim, so I'd better not see people using this forum to disrespect him):
While I agree that a qualified forum is certainly a useful asset to any hobby and it's participants, the average message board is generally full to the brim with negative individuals who find it enjoyable to waste their day using their keyboards to troll for a fight. Randomly espousing their "expertise" on any and all given subjects simply for the singular purpose of disagreeing with YOU. I mainly just lurk this board, primarally because I'm an NFL GU collector and the majority of the discussion here is directed towards MLB items, and I see examples this behavior from individuals from time to time. It's irritating to me and I can't imagine how aggrivating it must be for a true expert to be questioned by some naysaying douche at every turn. If I were the mod for this or ANY forum I would most certainly run it more like a "dictatorship". Screw freedom of speech, if your main purpose is that of a shizit-stirrer, you're gone. I'd be deleting accounts left and right.

While I understand where you're coming from, there is one major problem. Many times, even if there is a hint of an attack or questioning of someone/something having to do with the hobby, the truth about what is being questioned is sometimes masked in the presentation of the actual message. In other words, important information is sometimes lost in the way it's presented here but it is still important information nonetheless. The positives far outweight the negatives here as this board is the best out there for the discussion of game used memorabilia.

Tim

TNTtoys
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
From the postings on this thread so far, I don't believe that anyone is under the impression that the comments came from Jim himself. He's one person who is not afraid to tell it like it is... and that's a brutal honesty that most people don't have this day & age. Though I am disappointed and disagree with the comments he shared with us, what I do gain from the fact that he has listed them is awareness. Sometimes it is good to see things from someone else's point of view - it gives life another dimension.

allstarsplus
09-01-2006, 11:14 AM
34swtns - Many of your comments are on target, but with any Forum who would expect everyone to agree to disagree.

When you get some great posts like the one of players swapping jerseys which gave some great behind the scenes insight, it is for that reason this Forum has value. Also, when "fakes" are exposed, it becomes an education process.

I think the Forum is like a newspaper as you can pick and choose what you want to read and to respond to.

I do agree that there is sometimes some piling on and negativity but that comes sometimes as a by-product of all the fakes out there. I still believe innocent until proven guilty.

Andrew
The people that post have to also be responsible for their postings.

skipcareyisfat
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Rudy

That's a bit disappointing... the single biggest turnoff with the hobby is this bulletin board?? It's bulletin boards like this that allow us to network & share information with one another -- which is a critical aspect of every hobby. I think that some of these people have rocks in their heads and should see things for the good they bring.

Nick
If I'm reading the comments on the Yackel link correctly, I don't think the person has a problem with the forum; they're talking about the aforementioned "***holes."

sylbry
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
My biggest gripe with this board is the amount of people who chime in on issues they have no business discussing. It is easy to make assumptions from what you have experienced and I see that happening.

I believe for the true experts out there, they understand the more you know, the less you REALLY know. Knowledge on game used equipment seems to be a bell curve. It takes little time and effort to have a basic understanding. However, to increase your knowledge from that point the time and effort commitment multiplies exponentially.

Personally I would like to think I have a good understanding of Twins game used items. However, I understand there are many people who know much more than I do and when I meet them I would rather learn from them instead of argueing with them over an item that doesn't fit my preconceived notion of what it appears to be.

I wish a rule could be instated saying, "if you don't know then don't post." (By "know" I mean having a fairly good understanding of the topic at hand.) There is nothing more annoying that reading a good discussion only to have someone with little knowledge chime in as if they have an answer and then expect their opinion to be taken seriously. If you know you do not have knowledge that will benefit the discussion then refrain from posting. Instead just sit back, read, and learn something.

I have no specific examples in mind and am not making references to any one person or post so please no one view this as an attack, rather just pointing out instances where I see an improvement could be made, as it appears others also think there is room for improvement.

All in all I am a big fan of this board and read it daily and am patiently waiting until the time comes when I too can serve to benefit this forum.

Bryan

earlywynnfan
09-01-2006, 11:08 PM
If I'm reading the comments on the Yackel link correctly, I don't think the person has a problem with the forum; they're talking about the aforementioned "***holes."

Personally, I'd love to know who made this comment to Yackel. Take it from my friends: it usually takes someone at least a half hour before they call me an ***hole! (Although my wife had me pegged in under 2 minutes; that's how I knew she was perfect for me!)

Seriously, though, I do wish some of the old fights and bickering and personal differences would end, though. It gets old.

Ken

metsbats
09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
For the most part we are all mature adults on this forum. Most of the time we all know when to comment on a post and when not to. True there are cases where folks would post just to chime in not knowing anything about the subject matter. Those of us familiar with the subject matter may not be strayed by those posts but the danger lies in folks who seek education may be strayed the wrong way. Then the spam starts on the thread chastising the poster who responded with their opinions. Here 's where problems begin and the forum is percieve in bad light because these post take away credibility.

Just my two cents.

David

metsbats
09-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh yeah and my point was..

All forums on the internet have these issues as forums are open up to a whole universe of users with different opinions and personalities. You cannot find a forum where interactions between users occassionally NOT end up negative it just not possible. We should just take the good with the bad and just keep in mind that collectors would be a whole lot worse off without the Forum than with a less than perfect Forum.

David