PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Glove cut into a trading card

CampWest
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
This would be really cool if I was into cards. Sad thing is the glove will probably sell for more after they mutilated it... Just like with the bat barrel cards.

I hadn't seen them do this with a game used glove before, hopefully the guys I collect didnt give up any gloves for this purpose...

Manram
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
This would be really cool if I was into cards. Sad thing is the glove will probably sell for more after they mutilated it... Just like with the bat barrel cards.

I hadn't seen them do this with a game used glove before, hopefully the guys I collect didnt give up any gloves for this purpose...

Where is the card being sold?

CampWest
05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Where is the card being sold?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Triple-Threads-Reid-Brignac-Glove-Logo-Booklet-1-1-/290571425691?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43a768179b

ziggy
05-30-2011, 02:03 PM
doesn't look like it was used.

frikativ54
05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Upper Deck has been doing that for a while. I saw a Bagwell from 2001, I believe. Only thing is it didn't have the sick cut Rawlings logos or anything like that. Just a really small swatch.

camarokids
05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I would rather have the glove intact....Stupid card companies...

frikativ54
05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I would rather have the glove intact....Stupid card companies...

There's something for everyone. Though I would prefer a redemption card for the actual whole glove.

camarokids
05-30-2011, 05:18 PM
There's something for everyone. Though I would prefer a redemption card for the actual whole glove.

That would have been a better idea, give away the actual glove. How many nice collectible items will the card companies destroy?

OaklandAsFan
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
unfortunately the card companies care about bottom dollar and they can buy a glove and use it once or cut it up and use it hundreds of times. Which do you think looks better on the bottom line?

The other option is to put the one item in a box and sell it at a higher price, look at how much the boxes of Just Minors Mystery Gamers are going for. They are out of most people's price range.

jake33
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Damn, that Brignac looks like the one that Lockerroom memorabilia had at one point.... been looking for that for quite some time, well doesn't exist now.

frikativ54
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Damn, that Brignac looks like the one that Lockerroom memorabilia had at one point.... been looking for that for quite some time, well doesn't exist now.

Sorry, Jake. I understand how rough that can be as one who has been after a glove for a while.

However, one of the arguments people make in favor of cards is that they are easier to display and don't take up as much space. How would you respond to this reasoning?

Personally, I have found that though my cards take up less space, I tend to enjoy my game used items more. They can actually be seen, instead of being stacked in huge piles like my cards. Curious to read people's opinions.

camarokids
06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Game used items are much cooler than a card. Cards are manufactured collectibles.

While game used items were made to be used in the actual game, then they became a collectible after the fact.

camarokids
06-01-2011, 06:09 PM

It was listed on ebay for quite some time.....

jake33
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Don't get me wrong I collect cards, only game used cards of Rays players, so really I only buy ala-carte and get 10 cards a year then get them autographed, patch cards are reat for getting an auto right on the jersey. They display well and yes are a lot smaller. Plus a lot of them are under $5 shipped on ebay.

I am amazed at items though like "prospects" who have a game used glove/jersey card numbered out of like 100. THen the player never makes it and no other cards are made, what did the card company do with the remminents? This happened with Rays prospect MATT White a number of years ago, he had a glove card numbered out of 100 (VERY SMALL patch of leather). What happened the rest of the glove? Probably went into a labeled storage container and into a vault, then eventually tossed.

frikativ54
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I am amazed at items though like "prospects" who have a game used glove/jersey card numbered out of like 100. THen the player never makes it and no other cards are made, what did the card company do with the remminents? This happened with Rays prospect MATT White a number of years ago, he had a glove card numbered out of 100 (VERY SMALL patch of leather). What happened the rest of the glove? Probably went into a labeled storage container and into a vault, then eventually tossed.

Perhaps instead of tossing the glove remnants, they were made into Manny Ramirez glove cards. Or Randy Johnson. The card companies wouldn't ever try to pull a fast one on the consumer by selling pieces of a flamed out prospect's gloves and representing them to be those of a potential HOFer, would they? :rolleyes: