PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 Result -- Potential Controversy

Chris78
05-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I just watched yesterday's Indy 500 race and saw the famous final lap of the race where Rookie J.R. Hildebrand crashed on the final turn of the race. Dan Wheldon passed him after the crash and finished first while Hildebrand finished second in his crashed car. At the time of the crash, a yellow caution should come out and that means that no one would be able to pass him. It did take a couple of seconds for Wheldon to pass as they were not side by side. I wonder if something will happen with this result and the winner could end up being Hildebrand based on the way the rule is written.

Anyone see this race and have any thoughts?

Chris

camarokids
05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Did the yellow flag come out immediately? In the rules, can you pass before the yellow flag comes out? Or can you not pass at all after a crash?

jobathenut
05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
It is total bs that dan weldon won that race.As he passes him like 2 minutes after j.r crashed.J.r crashed in the 4th corner but dan passed him down the backstrech by the finish line.The yellow should have come out once j.r crashed.And therfor by the indy rules the field freezes and j.r would have won the race.Its plain and simple that indy messed up.

gingi79
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
JR caused the caution, so when he was passed, it as the same as if he was off the track. If they just froze the field, everyone would crash their car on the final lap to preserve the victory.

Chris78
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I can see both sides of what you are saying. The problem with this is that the yellow should have been out before Wheldon passes and Hildebrand did cross the finish line. It is very clear that Hildebrand wins the race with no crash and that it took a few seconds for Wheldon to pass him and a few other "lapped" cars in the process. At this point, Hildebrand has said he is not protesting the result.

Camarokids, I believe you can't pass under the yellow, and as I said above, it took a couple of seconds for Wheldon to pass Hildebrand.

I am curious to see if something does happen with this result or if Indy adds a rule for this situation.

Chris

jobathenut
05-31-2011, 12:01 AM
I dont know where you got your information.But i was listening to the boardcast and they were saying it on there.That the debat was if the caution came out before weldon passed him.Thats why it was'nt official until like 3 hours after the actual race.They kept going over the tape of the race.So i am sorry but what i said is the official rule.Unless the experts i listen to were wrong.
JR caused the caution, so when he was passed, it as the same as if he was off the track. If they just froze the field, everyone would crash their car on the final lap to preserve the victory.

sox83cubs84
05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Personally, I'm just surprised that Danica Patrick didn't go megabitch at another driver or her crew after she lost...we've seen that in IRL way too many times.

Dave Miedema

woody1351
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KySJzJwP8fs

i saw this when i dvrd wind tunnel and found it on youtube to show. if you stop it at .38 sec close to .39 the yellow light at pit entrance is flashing yellow eventhough the one on the outside of the track is still green. did JR WIN?

Jags Fan Dan
06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I am not sure what the official rule is, but to me, whoever causes the caution is fair game to be passed. What if hit the wall head on and did not continue? He's out of the race, everybody passes him, right? He definitely should not benefit for having crashed and caused a caution, which is what would be happening if he were declared the winner. That is just my opinion.

Chris78
06-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I am not sure what the official rule is, but to me, whoever causes the caution is fair game to be passed. What if hit the wall head on and did not continue? He's out of the race, everybody passes him, right? He definitely should not benefit for having crashed and caused a caution, which is what would be happening if he were declared the winner. That is just my opinion.

Hildebrand would have won the race if he had not crashed and he had enough gas to cross the finish line (Dan Wheldon would not have won). Since the crash occurred, the yellow flag would come out which means no one can pass Hildebrand. Since Hildebrand crossed the finish line with a checkered flag and no one in theory could pass him, he would win the race. If Hildebrand had not crossed the finish line due to the crash, then Wheldon wins the race. Based on the rule book, a strong case could be made that Hildebrand wins the race since under a caution Wheldon could not pass him and Hildebrand crossed the finish line.

I have not heard anything up to this point that a challenge has occurred. I did read that it cost Hildebrand $1.5 million finishing second.

Chris