PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Tagging Contest - Your Chance to Help!!

JimCaravello
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Hello GUU Members - I saw this thread posted earlier today by Sylbry - I have posted the entire thread, but I want to focus on the last two lines which I have bolded in red...........

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/post_new.gif Today, 09:49 AM
sylbry (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=498) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_19377", true);

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Look at these coments re:forum and other subjects
My biggest gripe with this board is the amount of people who chime in on issues they have no business discussing. It is easy to make assumptions from what you have experienced and I see that happening.

I believe for the true experts out there, they understand the more you know, the less you REALLY know. Knowledge on game used equipment seems to be a bell curve. It takes little time and effort to have a basic understanding. However, to increase your knowledge from that point the time and effort commitment multiplies exponentially.

Personally I would like to think I have a good understanding of Twins game used items. However, I understand there are many people who know much more than I do and when I meet them I would rather learn from them instead of argueing with them over an item that doesn't fit my preconceived notion of what it appears to be.

I wish a rule could be instated saying, "if you don't know then don't post." (By "know" I mean having a fairly good understanding of the topic at hand.) There is nothing more annoying that reading a good discussion only to have someone with little knowledge chime in as if they have an answer and then expect their opinion to be taken seriously. If you know you do not have knowledge that will benefit the discussion then refrain from posting. Instead just sit back, read, and learn something.

I have no specific examples in mind and am not making references to any one person or post so please no one view this as an attack, rather just pointing out instances where I see an improvement could be made, as it appears others also think there is room for improvement.

All in all I am a big fan of this board and read it daily and am patiently waiting until the time comes when I too can serve to benefit this forum.

Bryan

I saw this today and I wanted to post that now is the time that all Members can help this Forum by participating in the current Jersey Tagging Contest. I have personally submitted two jerseys already and plan on submitting every jersey I own. Since I am an Approver for Yankees jerseys of the 70's and 80's, I am not able to participate in the contest and win any awards. I have submitted because I want to help all other collectors who participate on the site.

Now is the time we can all help each other through this Jersey Tagging Contest!!

Bryan and all other members - please take the time to submit jerseys to the Jersey Tagging Contest. The time you put into this will be rewarded by the knowledge you will gain with all other submissions by GUU Members...........and you never know, you may win a prize!!!!

Join in folks - its very easy to upload pictures and only takes a couple of minutes per jersey.

Thanks for reading this Post and I look forward to seeing some great examples posted in the next few weeks........as an aside, I am not a big Cubs fan or collector, but the Ryne Sandberg jersey submitted by Jordan Cester is outstanding!!! If I could, that would be one I would personally add to my collection - I think even the Yankees jerseys hanging in my Sports Room would approve!!

Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

JimCaravello
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Just a bump..............

JimCaravello
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Just a bump.........

stkmtimo
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Jim,
I too am submitting every jersey in my collection. This is an important contest not for the prizes but to act as a reference library for people who need information when acquiring items for their collection. With that said, I do have one question. Can we submit batting practice jersey tags?

Thanks,
Tim

JimCaravello
09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Tim - that's a great question. I imagine you can - Chris - your thoughts? Jim

stkmtimo
09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Tim - that's a great question. I imagine you can - Chris - your thoughts? Jim

Jim,
Just heard back from Chris via email. He told me:

"'Only jersey images from the parent organizations of Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, and the National Hockey League will be eligible for credit in the contest. This excludes BP, practice and warm-up jerseys.' The reason is that it is just too difficult for our approver to be able to render opinions on BP, practice and warm-up jerseys. However, if you would like to submit them for the benefit of the collecting community, please feel free to do so and we will try to have the approvers look at them to see if they have any opinions."

It's well worth it the tags can help fellow collectors out. Thanks for the help Jim and Chris.

Tim