PDA

View Full Version : how many items does it take to make a "player collection?"

jake33
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Just curious thoughts on how many game used items it would take a make a "player collection" - I am in the process of making a video of all my Tampa Bay players' collections I have in game used... I was think 3 items would be the miniumum? Does that sound about right or should it be more?

LastingsMilledge85
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Have you read the player collections rule book?

Jags Fan Dan
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
That's a good question, Jake, but it would be difficult to give a definitive answer. For one person (made up example), their "Dan Marino collection" may consist of one nice GU jersey because that's all they could ever afford to buy. For another they may have tons of stuff of their chosen player(s). I don't know that one person is any more or less a "player collector" than the other, but obviously the more quality stuff you have of a player, the more impressive the collection is. But I don't think you can say "x number of pieces = a player collection". That's just my take.

Buster23!
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I would say 3-5 solid items. But it depends on what those items are. A GU bat and two jerseys and more of a collection than 10 cards and an autograph 8X10. Hard question to answer.

frikativ54
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I would say 3-5 solid items. But it depends on what those items are. A GU bat and two jerseys and more of a collection than 10 cards and an autograph 8X10. Hard question to answer.

I don't think you can quantify what a player collection is. However, I would think five items of any player make up a fair "player collection." For all I know, only two items could make up a player collection. Unlike Buster23!, I don't think that it matters whether we are talking cards, jerseys, or 8 x 10s.

You either have items or you don't, and I don't understand why cards don't qualify. You could be a player collector of Buster Posey and only have 10 baseball cards. If that's all you can afford, and you are after his cards, than it could well be a player collection.

Ultimately, each collector decides what it means to be a "player collector." I have two Justin Smoak game used baseballs, but I don't consider that a player collection, given how much Bagwell stuff I have. However, if I didn't have what I do of Bagwell, then maybe the two items amount to a player collection.

It ultimately matters what you like. Collect what you like, and you'll be happy. Don't worry about whether or not you have a player collection. It's not worth trying to compete with the next guy. That's not what collecting's supposed to be about; it's a hobby meant to be enjoyed, not to be worried about because you may not have a specified number of items of a certain athlete.

bdeol4
06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't think you can quantify what a player collection is. However, I would think five items of any player make up a fair "player collection." For all I know, only two items could make up a player collection. Unlike Buster23!, I don't think that it matters whether we are talking cards, jerseys, or 8 x 10s.

You either have items or you don't, and I don't understand why cards don't qualify. You could be a player collector of Buster Posey and only have 10 baseball cards. If that's all you can afford, and you are after his cards, than it could well be a player collection.

Ultimately, each collector decides what it means to be a "player collector." I have two Justin Smoak game used baseballs, but I don't consider that a player collection, given how much Bagwell stuff I have. However, if I didn't have what I do of Bagwell, then maybe the two items amount to a player collection.

It ultimately matters what you like. Collect what you like, and you'll be happy. Don't worry about whether or not you have a player collection. It's not worth trying to compete with the next guy. That's not what collecting's supposed to be about; it's a hobby meant to be enjoyed, not to be worried about because you may not have a specified number of items of a certain athlete.

I couldnt of said it better myself! :)

Shipp_96
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I would say two items or more makes one, but that is just me.

The most items I have of one player (game worn) is of Bobby Engram; I have three jerseys, pants + a signed poster from college. My wife officially calls me his stalker now :p.

But, for example I have one game worn cleat of Deon Butler, but three autos from him (two signed PENN STATE helmets and a signed jersey). Does that count as a player collection more or less than Engram?

If that were the case, my best player collection is actually Jerry Rice, who I have three signed photos and a two signed helmets of...yet no GU gear.

legaleagle92481
06-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Its intangible. You need at least one item regardless of value and an appreciation of the player that transcends typical fandom. Like he goes to another team you wont abandon him.

Canseco44
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't have a definite answer, as I don't think there is one, but personally if I came across an auction on EBay that said Jose Canseco player collection and I clicked on it only to find a game used bat and a signed photo, or any two items, I would feel mislead. I'm not sure there is a definitive answer here.

MarinersFan34
06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Legaleagle got it, I think it depends on how you feel about that particular player and if your admiration continues no matter what team name is displayed on his items.

For instance, I have lots of items for the guys in my sig. and a few not listed there, I consider myself a player collector of them. I also had 3 Cliff Lee jerseys (now 2) and at no point did I consider myself a player collector of Lee. Since he's gone I have even less of a desire to keep them or buy other Lee jerseys from other teams. I did get them after he left but he's a great player and he was on my fav. team for a few months.

Its the same with cards, you have to start somewhere with 1 or 2 gu items or cards but once you make that decision to follow that person throughout their career, you cross over to player collector. Maybe you are a player collector while they're on your fav. team only, I think that might qualify too?

wildcats97champs
06-03-2011, 08:27 PM
well, i have every card ever made ( expect a 1/1) and 3 game-used jerseys of Miles Simon so i would think i hav a player collection although its very small to anything anyone else has

alltimegiants
06-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm a huge Giants Fan and Buster Posey player collector in the baseball card world...

I have about 35 different Certified autograph cards and about 40 different rookie base and game used cards.

I just starting my Buster game used collection so far 1 game used 2010 bat and now looking for more...please let me know if you have any Posey items.....

I also have One autograph OMLB Ball and One autograph on a 2010 WS Champion Giants Team Bat

So, I consider myself as a Buster Posey player collector in the baseball cards world but a beginner in the Game Used world.

Please feel free to check my Giants and Buster collection
www.alltimegiants.com (http://www.alltimegiants.com)

Thank you for your time in advance.

Mike
alltimegiants@gmail.com
www.alltimegiants.com (http://www.alltimegiants.com)

alltimegiants
06-06-2011, 12:55 AM
FYI- Buster Posey Certified Autograph Cards range between $60- $250 on ebay depending which ones you have...Beckett book value is almost double of ebay prices.

I have a lot of rare High Value rookie autograph cards.

murfsteve25
06-06-2011, 07:12 AM
I also had 3 Cliff Lee jerseys (now 2) and at no point did I consider myself a player collector of Lee.

Good point. I think the biggest thing you need in your collection is the determination to at least look for more items of that player. Kinda like MarinersFan...he's got a few Cliff Lee jerseys but it doesnt sound like he's out to get every CL item he can find. I believe in his mind he is not a CL player collector even though he had 3 of his jerseys.

But me for example, I started out with 1 David Justice jersey and a bat, but I knew he is the guy i wanted to collect and I knew I was on the hunt for more items. At that point I considered myself a player collector.

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Freedie Freeman is the player I look for first but not the only player I buy.