PDA

View Full Version : Game Used stuff at "The National"

Buster23!
06-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I have only been to one National and it was 15 years ago and I was 13. I don't remeimber if there was game used bats, jerseys, cliets & ext. I'm sure there will be high end stuff like Ruth and Mantle. But, I am talking current players. Please let me know what you know

ironmanfan
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Last year's National had game used items to fit all budgets

commando
06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
It is fascinating to go back and read the opinions from 1980 and 1981 that were both for and against the need for a national show. Of course, the "National" did happen, and has happened now every year for thirty years. I'm kinda wondering if the typical collector, who isn't involved in the special dinners or V.I.P. parties, has the need to travel any distance to go to this anymore. Thanks to the internet, is there really the chance of finding any memorabilia that wasn't previously offered online? Are there really bargains to be found that weren't matched by eBay?

Just a random thought on the National thread.

sox83cubs84
06-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I only go to the National when it's in Chicago, and I rarely spend a cent there. The Internet is easier for me than travelling out-of-state for what to me is just another big card show. I don't sell there anymore because it wasn't cost-efficient to me...it got irritating as well...too many collectors wanting my advice on their purchases from other sellers without even looking at my inventory. Too many dealers set up there based on image...to them, a dealer who doesn't set up there (financial pitfalls aside) is on the frosh-soph squad, while the National tableholders are the varsity. I am secure enough on my place in the hobby to ignore such nonsense...but many dealers aren't.

Dave Miedema

gameon
06-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I have attended quite a few Nationals over the years around the midwest. It's nice to see some of the dealers wares from out of state that I dont get to see at the major shows I attend in Chicago, but I agree with you that the prices they are asking are "just for looking". I know they have to pay alot in expenses to set up at these shows, but when I can find it alot cheaper on the internet and stay within my budget, as a collector, thats where Im going to do most of my shopping. I have seen some of the same items on dealers tables for years and they still dont want to come down on their prices just to move the things out. Im always hopeful of finding that one hard to get item for my collection,but also know that if I do, I will have to pay alot more for it at the show(which I have done a few times). I do like attending and talking with the different dealers and seeing some great stuff up close, but for my dollar, I'll search the internet.

Preston
06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
For me, it's awesome for a lot of reasons - I do collect cards, too, and I pick up enough to sell to where I've more than paid for my trip...and I've purchased some cool game used stuff at the Nationals as well. Plus you see some friends that you don't see too often, and plus it's my vacation every year.

And then there's that "instant gratification" thing...of not having to wait for it when you see it on the 'net, but there's nothing like looking at and picking up and personally examining an item prior to purchasing (or not purchasing) it.