PDA

View Full Version : Can you picture Jackie, Roy & Duke in shorts?

hiramman
06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I was discussing baseball with a friend's Dad yesterday. He's a former Brooklyn Dodgers minor league pitcher that never made it to the big leagues, but lucky enough to get invited to spring training at Dodgertown back in the early 50's. We were discussing the old flannel uniforms and he asked me if I remembered any teams wearin shorts. I mentioned the White Sox and he started telling me about the time that his team, the Valdosta(GA) Dodgers, tested knit jerseys and short pants back in the Georgia-Florida League. He said the shorts only lasted a couple of games until one of the players slid into second and ended up with a strawberry so bad that he missed several games. He said they wore the knit jerseys for the rest of the season.

I never knew knit jerseys were being worn way back in the 1950's and surely didn't know other teams tried short pants. He dug up this old clipping to show me what they looked like. I thought others might be interested, too. Has anyone ever seen anything like these circulating the hobby?