PDA

View Full Version : Ebay question

perlman9
06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
So, I sold a jersey on ebay listed in the Fan/Souvanier section (not game used section) and listed as "game jersey", never mentioning it as game worn or game issued as if was tagged that way but was a knock off. The person bought it and now wants a refund saying that although I never mentioned game used or issued, I should have listed it as a "counterfeit." Now, keep in mind I sold the jersey for $100 when a game used would be 2k or more. But now the buyer wants a refund because it isn't used when I never said it was. If you were selling this item, would you refund or not? Thanks!

Jayworld
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Do you have the url address available so that the auction wording can be examined?

Thanks.

kprst6
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Wait for them to return the item and tell eBay you sent them a "Grey Hilfiger or Fish shirt and a book on a black guy".

You might end up getting a dirty sock returned to you.

I bet this person knew darn well what they were buying and also knew that they could get this free from you as eBay will side with the buyer.

perlman9
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Here is the exact wording

Carmelo Anthony Denver Nuggets Game jersey Go Green (Title)

For sale is a Carmelo Anthony special Go Green Denver Nuggets jersey. A great looking jersey with all sewn-on letters and numbers. Great for the Melo or Denver fan. Who cares if he went to the New York Knicks, this is a great Nuggets jersey!

Again, listed in Fan Memorabilia section, NOT Game worn section to try and mislead as I have seen hundreds of others to

kprst6
06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Was this a borntrade.com knockoff jersey? If so, I believe the buyer is right in this situation.

If the jersey was not the same material and quality you could get at a store and is a borntrade.com fake Chinese knockoff, I too would be upset if someone sold me a $25.00 jersey for $100.00.

perlman9
06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I have no clue where the jersey was made, but just seems to me that questions could be asked before hand, but maybe I am just one who takes responsibility if I bid without asking the correct questions? But if most people feel a refund is in order, I will do that. Just seems that it would make sense in this scenario to bid on everything that has the possibility of being something special in hopes it is the real deal, and just ask for money back if it's not. I have bought several items I thought were something else than I expected but ended up with them as I felt is was my responsibility to ask the correct questions before I bid and if I didn't, then it was my fault. As I stated, he could have asked "Is this a game-worn jersey?" Just my take on it but again, if most people feel differently, then I will refund the money.

BULBUS
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
These days, as a seller, your hands are tied. You pretty much have to refund their money. Apparently Ebay wants buyers to feel like they are buying from large retailers and can return anything they buy, no questions asked.

-Chris

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Don't let the prospect of a big payment blind you from doing the right thing.

otismalibu
06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carmelo-Anthony-Denver-Nuggets-Game-jersey-Go-Green-/350466452769?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item51996dad21#ht_500wt_1159

So it even has a Meigray tag?

perlman9
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Yep, this is how I bought it from Craigslist and answered several questions that were asked the same way for those that asked prior if it was game worn...

cliffjmp33
06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't refund it at all. I'd let eBay settle it first. If that is the way the auction was posted, and I read it, I don't see the reasoning behind the buyers returns besides buyers' remorse. Maybe he was hoping to get lucky and get a GU item for cheap, then when he realized he didn't, wanted to return it.

Either way, that is BS in my eyes.

perlman9
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Jack, I agree with you totally but decided to refund the money. It is frustrating when these things happen and I agree 100% knowing the buyer. If it ended up being a game-worn I don't think he would say, here is an extra $1k for the jersey since it is real, but because he didn't make out I am to blame. Oh well, I even already had positive feedback from him so really didn't have to do anything, but decided to not fuss with it and as seems to be the case in today's word, sometimes we have to get burnt when others won't take responsibility for their own mistakes. But I appreciate someone seeing it as I see the transaction.

astros5.7
06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
If you had listed it as a bootleg retail jersey, then I would be on your side. But you knew the jersey was a knock off when you listed it and made no mention of it, so I think refunding the money was the right thing to do.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=243002#post243002

perlman9
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
At one point I listed it that way and had so many emails asking bout why it was fake, how did I know, i removed the listing just because I was tired of all the emails. That is why I listed AWAY from Game Used in in the fans/souveniers section which should speak for itself it is probably not a game worn Melo jersey for $189 OBO. Now, if the issue from the buyer was how the jersey was made, etc I may have agreed with the buyer but since his issue was he didn't make out getting a $2k jersey for $100 because it wasn't worn or issued and wanted a refund, I think that is not my fault. As the seller I answered several emails asking if was game used and answered that it was not, and since that is what the buyer wanted, he could have easily been asked. It would be like me buying any jersey that doesn't say retail and hope its game used, and when not, return it because they didn't list it as "retail" or whatever. If I see a jersey that is questionable when i am looking for a game used I will email questions. If i buy and find out I didn't ask the right questions, then it is MY fault as the buyer not getting proper information. If the seller gives me false info, that is different. In this case, the buyer was looking to make a huge profit, didn't get it and cried foul, IMO anyway. But money was refunded so all good on the Western front.

5kRunner
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
In my opinion the problem lies in the fact that you listed it as a "Game Jersey" and then list the condition as "Used". You may have confused the buyer as to who "used" the jersey.

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Did you really think the buyer wanted to buy a fake jersey for $100?
If the answer is no or probably not then you probably know that you handled the situation wrong in the first place.
You go on about how you think the buyer wanted a $2k jersey for $100 but you forget that you were happy to sell a $25 jersey for $100.

camarokids
06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I think there was not enough info in the listing. Should have very precise that the jersey was "not a game used professional jersey". That should have sufficed.

both-teams-played-hard
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I've heard about those bootleg Meigrey tags on hockey jerseys. In some twisted way this is the ultimate compliment to the standards of Meigrey. Wonder who the 6-year-old is, who is responsible for sewing on Meigrey tags?

In other news:
The United States of America is China's bitch.

chd49er
06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
First of all if the buyer did not have the common sense to ask if it was game used then shame on him that's his own fault. Furthermore he didn't even ask for any documentation. I know when I am looking at a game used item I ask all kinds of questions and do a lot of research. My rule of thumb is, when in doubt don't buy it. You can't go wrong. I mean who buys game used jerseys and stuff with out asking any questions. You didn't list it as game used so don't worry about it. The bottom line is you can buy jerseys in retail stores that are only authentic and they call them game jerseys because technically they are and he bought it for $100, please. It seems to me the purchaser rode the short bus. Don't worry about it, I wouldn't refund it, you did nothing wrong. So, I guess some people are gonna pay 10 to 20k for a Montana and ask no questions??? Good luck with that.

Clay

cdubois@carolina.rr.com

SELL ME YOUR 49ER GAMES!!!!!!

yankees506
06-06-2011, 07:01 PM
The buyer was "dolphinboy" how ironic...... a guy who constantly sells doctored items feels scammed. wow

Dach0sen0ne
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
The buyer was "dolphinboy" how ironic...... a guy who constantly sells doctored items feels scammed. wow

It's like rain, on your wedding day...

jppopma
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I can see where a buyer would assume that this was a game worn jersey based on the pictures showing proper tagging. While listed as "game jersey"...just what does that term mean?

Let's face it, we all buy some things on the hopes that it is the real deal and a good price. I too have been burned in the past and sucked it up. There have been other times where I have returned items that were specifically not what they claimed to be.

Asking questions is good...but how many times have you seen a jersey get pulled because certain questions are asked and the seller ends the auction to do a bunch of research. Then relist is for 5x the price the next week...there goes any good deal you were trying to dig up.

In the end...should the buyer be off the hook for assuming something? I don't think the listing was misleading....but the assumption could easily be made by anyone.

BULBUS
06-07-2011, 08:45 AM
A quick look at the sellers feedback and I could see that he sells game used stuff on a regular basis. Buyer wasnt very bright thinking that someone that knows game used would sell a Meigray tagged jersey from a star for 100 bucks. He took a gamble and it didnt pay. He should not get a refund.

cliffjmp33
06-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Not to take away from your post Jason, but something similar happened to me. Sold a T.O. Bills jersey my friend bought on BuffaloBills.com with tags on it and the 50th Aniversary patch to. It's sewn on, not screened on cheap one, but also not a high-gamer. Sold for $10, (ten dollars) then buyer (whom purely buys/sells jerseys as an eBay business) tells me its a "bootleg" and wants a refund. Don't know how nfl.com/BuffaloBills.com sells bootlegs.

He could have asked questions prior to buying it, but chose to take a gamble. I refunded without making a deal of it as it's not worth the hassle over just a few dollars in the larger scheme of things. But I agree with a lot of members that eBay is turning completely into a buyer-only friendly auction site.

jppopma
06-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Jack, Avoid the selling for a friend stuff on Ebay. That is often a bit of a red flag to buyers. In your case, I don't think that your buyer should get a refund at all because $10 is a reasonable price even for a knock off jersey. If your friend had the information that he bought it from the team online, you would likely have had a decent chance at winning the dispute as well.

Like I said before...sometimes buyers need to take things on their face and can't risk asking every question they think of (nor take the time/waste the sellers time). I'm not sure what answers would have changed the outcome there though.

xpress34
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
It's like rain, on your wedding day...

Wow! I didn't know we had Candian Pop Stars on our board!!!!

;) :p