PDA

View Full Version : Neat Item, but I'd Question The Authenticity

slidekellyslide
09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
This is pretty cool, but really how difficult would it be to make something like this? Without provenance to know exactly where this came from I would always question it's true age.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170023012649&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

mjkm90
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
I would not touch that item on ebay unless it came from a top name in the hobby and had the hands of several experts all over it. Now if I found it in an estate sale and I could hold it in my hands and inspect it, I would give it a go.

slidekellyslide
09-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm not even sure how you could go about authenticating such an item either considering you could probably still find leaded paint somewhere and everything on the piece (frame, photo, nails) can still be found with ease.

rose14
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I saw this auction and this item looked very familiar. There was a person at last year's national that was selling signs like this. He had an artist friend from Michigan that would use vintage wood from old barns to make the frames and then make these signs where they would look weathered and old. He had this one and one with Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Knute Rockne among others. He was selling them from $125-$185. I bought a Wrigley Field sign from him that was incredible. It looked like it actually hung at Wrigley for decades. Late last year, I commissioned the artist that made the signs to do some other stadium signs for my bar area in my basement. I had him do seven more signs for me which included, Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Crosley Field, Ebbetts Field, The Polo Grounds, Forbes Field and Navin Field. I am going to have him do some more for me real soon to include Sportsmans Park and Briggs Stadium. He does real good work. I will post some pictures of the signs later tonight.

Todd

slidekellyslide
09-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Interesting. I had a feeling when I first saw that auction that it was probably "fake". Looking forward to seeing your signs.