PDA

View Full Version : Braun HR Derby Jersey - eBay

mattmueller
06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
There is currently a Braun game used jersey from the 2010 HR Derby on ebay, item #290574702659. The same seller also has a Yovani Gallardo jersey listed, item#290574702776. I have just also asked the seller about the items below (no response yet), but given the short time remaining in the auction, thought I would ask here as well.

It appears the Gallardo jersey has Majestic/AllStar Game tagging on the front bottom left of the jersey, but the Braun jersey does not. A review of photos from the Derby shows several of Hanley Ramirez participating in the derby with a shirt untucked enough to show this tag. Curious as to why the Braun would not have this tag?

Also, the Braun listing has a photo that appears to show that the wash tag has been removed. Curious as to why this would have been removed, particularly as the jersey would have had very limited use.

The jersey does have a MLB hologram, but the sticker is ripped.

Any other thoughts on the curious things with the Braun jersey?

Thanks,
Matt

LastingsMilledge85
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't think Braun wears a 44.

mattmueller
06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Prior year's AS Derby jerseys (with proper tagging and provenance) have been a size 44, compared to game jerseys which are typically a 46.

mattmueller
06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Response received from the seller, mystery continues:

We asked that same question last year when we received the jersey from Highland Mint, who handles these shirts for MLB. However, they had no answer for us. We purchased 7 of these All-Star Game Home Run Derby jerseys, and this was the only one that did not have the ironed on tag present.

The tag does not appear to have ever been present on the outside of the jersey, but the appropriate pro manufactured wash tag was present on the inside of the tag and the MLB Authentication tag did not appear to have any alteration so we assumie it just was never on there.

jtorrez
06-13-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't think Braun wears a 44.

The 2010 & 2009 game issued autographed jerseys auctioned off by Hunt were both size 44 also:

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=29&lot_num=70&lot_qual=

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=18&lot_num=22&lot_qual=

tilley72
06-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone,

I was the seller of both the Braun jersey and the Gallardo jersey. Both of these jerseys were sourced through the Highland Mint as are the actual set of HR Derby jerseys and not just the additional signed "issued" sets which are auctioned off by Hunt Auctions every year during the Louisville Slugger Factory Auction, are sold by them.

When this jersey arrived to our location it was in the state that it appeared in the auction on ebay with no tail tagging and the inner wash tag trimmed, but it had the MLB Authentication present. This was the only jersey that appeared that way, though the Ian Kinsler jersey did for some reason have the hologram attributed to a Ty Wigginton ASG BP jersey.

The jersey itself, never appeared to have had the tail tagging present, something I assume that was just missed on the jersey during manufacture. And the inner tail tagging was removed, I assume, by Braun or a clubhouse guy because it was probably irritating his side. This is more common in BP-style jerseys than in actual knit and cool base jerseys as from what I've heard some players do not wear shirts underneath the BPs because they are already of a more moisture-wicking material.

If anyone has any additional questions regarding this jersey, I ask that they contact myself at ajtilley@capitalsportsinvestments.com.

Sincerely,

Andrew Tilley
Capital Sports Investments, LLC
www.capitalsportsinvestments.com
(414) 699-7065

mattmueller
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
As noted above, Andrew was responsive to the questions I asked both here and additional questions to him via eBay, and he answered the questions to the best of his knowledge. However, despite the provenance and explanation, the jersey still does have some rather unique characteristics. As I and other collectors may be interested in other's experience with these rather unique characteristics I would appreciate it if anybody who may have relevant information to add would do so on the forum.

To be clear, this is not an attempt to discredit the seller in any way, just want to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks,
Matt

solarlottry
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
I am not a baseball guy at all but in the 20 years i have collected 49ers gamers i have seen so many variations of tagging that his explanation seems plausible. Take 1994 49er shirts for instance-there are shirts with NO tags, shirts with tags with no size, shirts with tags with the size crossed out and a new size written in, shirts with the size flag tag on the side or on the bottom of the tagging. There are shirts with codes for a manufacture date ranging from 1991 thru 1994 and there are a number of instances where one player's jersey had the NFL shield and another's did not in the same game.

I think if the jersey comes from a reliable and communicative source, can be at least style matched and has some reasonable paperwork then the funny tagging may not be an issue.

Always buying 49ers shirts and offering up to a 500$ finders fee for the right gamer

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com