PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled by the C-to-C Board

godwulf
06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I recently put some bats and jerseys on eBay, after offering them to you guys first, and am now having the difference between the two venues emphasized to me. Rubbed in my face, actually.

I've probably sold twenty or so bats on the Collector-to-Collector board in the past couple of years, without a hitch, and never had to dog anybody for payment. Last week, I listed this jersey on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330573661637&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

As you can see, it states clearly in the item description that payment is expected within 24 hours. This is the only Buyer who seems not to have understood that. I invoiced him shortly after the auction ended, waited about 36 hours, then emailed him, asking politely when I could expect payment. He replied a short time ago, "I should be able to pay you by the weekend".

If he hadn't been the only bidder, I'd cancel the transaction right now and offer it, for less money, to the second-highest bidder. What really ticks me off is that - from what I've been told - it's going to be difficult if not impossible for me, as the Seller, to leave Negative feedback for this slacker.

Hey, what can I say? You guys may be a bunch of pervs and nutcases, but you know how to pay for your game-used stuff in a prompt manner. :rolleyes:

trsent
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
You have to understand a few things.

First, eBay doesn't support terms of payment required in 24 hours. They don't want to pressure any buyers. They give four days for the buyer to pay before you can file a non-payment notice and then they give the buyer another four days before you can close the case and get your listing fees back. As a seller, you cannot sell the item to someone else before this period of time, because then if you do and the original buyer then pays for the item, you are obligated to sell to the original buyer under eBay policy or you most likely will receive poor feedback.

Now, as for feedback, welcome to the new eBay. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.

I do believe if I buyer doesn't pay for an item and they let the non-payment case close against them they cannot leave negative feedback for the seller anymore either, but I am not 100% on this policy.

godwulf
06-14-2011, 04:04 PM
You know, the thing about it is...if this guy had emailed me, prior to the auction's end, asking whether it was okay if he didn't pay for a week, I'd have almost certainly told him that it was okay. Heck, if his response this morning had included the word "Sorry" in it anywhere, I'd no doubt feel more kindly disposed to him. I guess it's just the attitude that I feel like I'm getting - "You'll get paid when I get around to it" - that gripes me.

otismalibu
06-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Isn't the winner of your auction also the most prolific poster on GUF?

Lokee
06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I do believe if I buyer doesn't pay for an item and they let the non-payment case close against them they cannot leave negative feedback for the seller anymore either, but I am not 100% on this policy.

For transactions involving an unpaid item, Feedback left by a buyer may be removed when:

The buyer didn't pay or respond to the unpaid item case.

The buyer is suspended.

The buyer's communication in the Resolution Center undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and the eBay Feedback system.

godwulf
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Isn't the winner of your auction also the most prolific poster on GUF?

If so, I'm unaware.

otismalibu
06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
If so, I'm unaware.

Is your buyer from IL?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnUm32Q6UCm46d9gRG7Of6eRbkVCYd9 nd1nlgdeOaUwyzoXDC9Pg

godwulf
06-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Is your buyer from IL?

I don't know. I don't think any of the messages that I've received, so far, associated with the auction win contain real names or addresses. I guess if he doesn't get around to paying by this weekend, I'll be finding out, among other things.

hrvatwill
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Just went through a similar thing.....hang in there!

godwulf
06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
What recourse would the (so-called) Buyer have, should I suddenly realize that I no longer have the item? Before he paid, of course.

tom1315
06-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Godwulf, I cannot believe someone would drag out a transaction that long. My reputation on eBay is too important to ever be that cavalier in remitting payment. I honor what terms the seller lays out...period or I do not bid.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 grad

godwulf
06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm about to the point where I don't even want this guy's money.

trsent
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
This listing ended less than 72 hours ago - I am not sure what the big deal is. There was some confusion with terms, but otherwise I don't think it is worth all this effort.

The buyer is wrong for not reading the description and following it, but at the same time, eBay doesn't allow for such demands to be binding.

You can cancel the transaction and hopefully they agree but really, over 3-4 days I won't get too uptight over it.

I have had buyers for much higher dollar items give me run-a-rounds for weeks and for some reason I keep putting up with them, hoping to make a customer happy.