PDA

View Full Version : Classy

otismalibu
06-17-2011, 04:35 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/diamondbacks_fan_wrestles_ball_away_from_woman_vid eo/5094724

trsent
06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I watched with no sounds, but it looks like that guy has something wrong with him! Or maybe he is really just an asshole.

LastingsMilledge85
06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Clearly the fan looks mentally retarded and the one commentator aside Jon Miller just can't lay off him and suggests at being thrown out for that. Come on.

commando
06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Oh, really? The guy is retarded? Sitting there wearing his $200 authentic jersey with his snickering douchebag buddies watching the show?

You're gonna have to come up with a better explanation than that to defend this guy.

otismalibu
06-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Clearly the fan looks mentally retarded

Maybe there is something more. I only watched it once, but after watching it again I don't even think the guy says a word at any point, does he?

I guess it's good it didn't land in her lap.

OaklandAsFan
06-17-2011, 08:11 PM
This guy isn't one of them but Chase Field has a couple of ballhawks that are just down right a$%holes. I have seen one of them run over people during BP and the same guy gave me a bigtime tough guy stare down one day cause I didn't get out of his way fast enough and he "lost" a ball he though was destined to be his. (being 6'5 340 you can bet I sure was scared of his stare down)

Shipp_96
06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
He does look "slow" from his facial expressions he makes after the (friend? father?) talks to him.

Still, the woman was stuffing her face and seemed oblivious until he dove for it. The fact he wrestled it from her, with his head down, I just do not know how to call it.

As the writer said, it reminded me of Warren "Frank and Beans" from Something about Mary when it came to his baseball...

LastingsMilledge85
06-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh, really? The guy is retarded? Sitting there wearing his $200 authentic jersey with his snickering douchebag buddies watching the show?

You're gonna have to come up with a better explanation than that to defend this guy.

Somebody that is mentally retarded can't wear an authentic jersey? Really? Are you seriously suggesting that? The mannerisms of the man suggest that he is not "all with it." I'm not saying what he did was right, but I feel that whoever the one commentator is, said a little much.

commando
06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Somebody that is mentally retarded can't wear an authentic jersey? Really? Are you seriously suggesting that? The mannerisms of the man suggest that he is not "all with it." I'm not saying what he did was right, but I feel that whoever the one commentator is, said a little much.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. Mr. Ballstealer and a couple of his douchebag high-powered businessman buddies are sitting in their $150 seats. Mr. Ballstealer isn't a kid anymore... In fact, he's been in the business of running the show for several years (hiring, firing, "you're gonna be working this weekend instead of going to your kid's graduation...") You know, that kind of guy. He's not going to show tons of emotion as he goes for that baseball.

Mr. Ballstealer does what he wants. That's the way he lives. Not many people are in the position to tell this guy what to do.

I kinda think the announcer has the same take on this as me.... Hence, the strong response. The only question left in my mind is how do I become one of this guy's buddies? :D

sox83cubs84
06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
The ball stealer looks a little bit like Keith Olbermann.:eek:

Dave Miedema

flaco1801
06-18-2011, 10:30 AM
thats his g/f... he uses her to get the players to fork over baseballs....

godwulf
06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. Mr. Ballstealer and a couple of his douchebag high-powered businessman buddies are sitting in their $150 seats. Mr. Ballstealer isn't a kid anymore... In fact, he's been in the business of running the show for several years (hiring, firing, "you're gonna be working this weekend instead of going to your kid's graduation...") You know, that kind of guy. He's not going to show tons of emotion as he goes for that baseball.

Mr. Ballstealer does what he wants. That's the way he lives. Not many people are in the position to tell this guy what to do.

I kinda think the announcer has the same take on this as me.... Hence, the strong response. The only question left in my mind is how do I become one of this guy's buddies?

That's a pretty vivid imagination you've got there, commando. You forgot to mention the guy's political affiliation and sexual orientation, though; just an oversight, I'm sure.

The fan is clearly...slow, developmentally challenged, mentally retarded, whatever you want to call it; you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that. From her nonchalant reaction, and that of the other fans in the area, I think it's pretty clear that they recognized that fact, too. The announcers are idiots.

1970REDS
06-18-2011, 12:36 PM
It looks like the man who took the ball has problems , what he did was wrong . On the chance that he has issues everybody should lay off of him . And why could he not have a authentic jersey to wear ?

EurekaDave
06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
This video is awful!!! First (not to be overly political correct), to call this guy "retarded" is to insult people who are genuinely mentally challenged. That said, if his buddies were true "caregivers," why didn't they stop him? Anybody of any age should know when things belong to him and when they do not.

Finally, Jon Miller's take on this is reasonable because I have seen this happen too often myself. People should grow up. If I were the player's name on this jersey (Young), I would be embarassed that any thug would wear it.

I'd feel the same way Andre Ethier should about a thug wearing his jersey as a Giants fan was beaten into a coma.

Dave Silverbrand

LastingsMilledge85
06-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Finally, Jon Miller's take on this is reasonable because I have seen this happen too often myself. People should grow up. If I were the player's name on this jersey (Young), I would be embarassed that any thug would wear it.
Dave Silverbrand

You really think this guy (in the video taking the ball) is a thug? You're kidding right?

BU54CB
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
That's a pretty vivid imagination you've got there, commando. You forgot to mention the guy's political affiliation and sexual orientation, though; just an oversight, I'm sure.

The fan is clearly...slow, developmentally challenged, mentally retarded, whatever you want to call it; you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that. From her nonchalant reaction, and that of the other fans in the area, I think it's pretty clear that they recognized that fact, too. The announcers are idiots.

I'm not sure how its so clear that the individual is slow or developmentally challenged? You're making that judgement in the 10 or 15 seconds of video on the guy. What's the girl going to do, freak out?

Skizzick
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree that the guy does look like he's a little slow. Nobody at normal mental functionality would viciously go after a ball like that.

But just a little off topic, I don't completely agree with the whole "give the foul ball you catch to a random little kid." I was at a Nationals-Phillies game once and I caught a foul ball. The people in my section were urging me to give it to a kid, which I intended to do at first, but then I found a WWII veteran nearby (I could tell from his hat), and I gave the ball to him.
"This is for you, sir. You deserve it more than some kid. Please don't give it to your grandson." I said.
"My grandsons are 32 and 35." He said.

BU54CB
06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I agree that the guy does look like he's a little slow. Nobody at normal mental functionality would viciously go after a ball like that.

But just a little off topic, I don't completely agree with the whole "give the foul ball you catch to a random little kid." I was at a Nationals-Phillies game once and I caught a foul ball. The people in my section were urging me to give it to a kid, which I intended to do at first, but then I found a WWII veteran nearby (I could tell from his hat), and I gave the ball to him.
"This is for you, sir. You deserve it more than some kid. Please don't give it to your grandson." I said.
"My grandsons are 32 and 35." He said.

I completely disagree, there's another thread in the General Discussion where a grown woman goes after the ball with similar vigor, ripping it away from a little girl. That video and the fact that I've seen dozens and dozens of incidents at baseball games where ballhawks go after balls viciously to get said ball at all costs.

lakeerie92
06-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I completely disagree, there's another thread in the General Discussion where a grown woman goes after the ball with similar vigor, ripping it away from a little girl. That video and the fact that I've seen dozens and dozens of incidents at baseball games where ballhawks go after balls viciously to get said ball at all costs.

I highly doubt the woman in the other thread or this guy are "ballhawks" They are just rude people.

Skizzick
06-20-2011, 12:15 PM
You completely misunderstood my post. I'm not saying that you should fight children to get foul balls, but if you do catch one on your own, you shouldn't be obliged to give it away.

godwulf
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Speaking of giving baseballs away, I know this is a bit off-topic, but several times over the weekend, when home run balls were hit by opposing team players (far too many times, last night, I must say), and the "Throw it back!" chants started up, I wanted to hit somebody. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly coming from people who really don't know shite about Baseball, but want to make the people they're with, or the people around them, think they do. They've heard somewhere that this is a "Baseball tradition" and they believe it. God, what morons!

OaklandAsFan
06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Speaking of giving baseballs away, I know this is a bit off-topic, but several times over the weekend, when home run balls were hit by opposing team players (far too many times, last night, I must say), and the "Throw it back!" chants started up, I wanted to hit somebody. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly coming from people who really don't know shite about Baseball, but want to make the people they're with, or the people around them, think they do. They've heard somewhere that this is a "Baseball tradition" and they believe it. God, what morons!

I agree, if I catch a HR I don't care if it's the home team or the visitors i'm keeping it. I couldn't believe some idiot would throw Konerko's HR back this weekend. Potential HOFer HR baseball and they just throw it back.

Reminds me of the Angels fan who threw Arods 300 HR baseball back after he caught it. Arod said he had tons of stuff ready to trade for the ball and he got it back for free. idiots!!

godwulf
06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
If I felt that strongly about not wanting to keep a home run ball, I'd give it to somebody wearing the other team's jersey, who would probably treasure it. I fielded a Barry Bonds home run ball in ST, ten years ago, and gave it to a small African-American boy wearing a Bonds jersey sitting nearby. Probably the biggest ovation I ever got in my life, but that's not why I did it. I didn't want the ball, but for the kid it was a treasure. It's not every day you get the chance to give somebody a treasure.

frikativ54
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
If I felt that strongly about not wanting to keep a home run ball, I'd give it to somebody wearing the other team's jersey, who would probably treasure it. I fielded a Barry Bonds home run ball in ST, ten years ago, and gave it to a small African-American boy wearing a Bonds jersey sitting nearby. Probably the biggest ovation I ever got in my life, but that's not why I did it. I didn't want the ball, but for the kid it was a treasure. It's not every day you get the chance to give somebody a treasure.

Nice move. It's great to read about something like this. :)

commando
06-20-2011, 02:33 PM

You're a god (wulf). That's an awesome story.

sox83cubs84
06-20-2011, 02:39 PM
"My grandsons are 32 and 35." He said.[/quote]

I agree fully...if I catch a game ball I wouldn't give it to President Obama NOR Sarah Palin if they were sitting next to me. If I catch multiple baseballs in BP, I may give one to a kid, although my preferred gift recipients are veterans and disabled people.

Most kids at the ballpark are quite adept at mooching baseballs from players on their own, sometimes to the tune of 3 or 4 or even more...those kids sure don't need my help.

Dave Miedema