PDA

View Full Version : One evil woman, one sweet girl and one baseball!!

camarokids
06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
This lady needs a smack upside the head for this.....

To view video, click below. I copyied & pasted the article....

http://blog.chron.com/fanzone/2011/06/video-one-evil-woman-one-sweet-girl-and-one-baseball/

During a game between the Astros and the Diamondbacks at Minute Maid Park, a player tossed a baseball to a little girl in the stands. An awful woman standing next to her reached in front of her for a failed attempt at a catch. The girl caught it, but the greedy woman ripped it from her.
The disgusting woman then turned to her group to show off her baseball and gave high fives while the little girl walked away heartbroken.
In this 20-second video, you’ll hear a guy shouting at the TV because he thinks this woman is awful, too. He decides her name is ‘Pam’.
Check out ‘Pam’ looking like the world’s biggest jerk:

So far, I haven’t learned the identity of this woman, but I’d like to since we’re all making fun of her.
A commentator to the community event and happenings website Reddit.com reads: “The play-by-play and color guy saw it, pulled some strings, and delivered the girl an autographed ball.”
I don’t know what’s more disturbing – the sad theft of a baseball from a child, her post-baseball-theft celebration with friends or the mere fact that the inexpensive item from the terrible Astros was worth so much trouble to an adult.

Shipp_96
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Now this, on the other hand, is a beez-itch and a half! What's more nauseous, the ripping it out of that little girls hands or the high fives?

What an @ss...

brewcrew
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
You know, I'm as much of a ballhawk as the next gal, but this is horrible. And the sad thing is, that lesson about human nature might have a lasting, negative effect on that little girl.

slambam
06-18-2011, 03:48 PM
This has been aired a lot. It was on the Not Top 10 yesterday on SportsCenter. It really says a lot about the woman, but it's good to see at least somebody noticed it and got the girl an autographed ball. There has been a few things like this happening lately, I want to see these people getting booed at the games!

sox83cubs84
06-18-2011, 06:55 PM
This reminds me of an incident in Arlington a few eyars ago, where a guy (who I think turned out to be a pastor) dove over a seat and inadvertantly kicked/bumped a little girl and her mother in the process. Tom Grieve and his announcing partner took the guy to the woodshed on the broadcast, while the girl cleaned up on souvenirs (including a bat from Reggie Sanders, then with visiting St. Louis).

I haven't seen episodes like this at either Chicago ballpark, and I hope I don't anytime soon.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
I actually had an incident similar to this happen to me recently at Coors Field.

When StL was in town, I was trying to get Big Mac to sign his book from 1998 (Home Run Hero). When I yelled down at him, he looked up, saw the book, smiled and kind of shrugged pointing atball the people over the dugout.

He then held up a ball, I pointed at myself, he nodded his head and he started to toss it and a bunch of people starting moving in... he stopped, shook his head, pointed at me (again I pointed at myself and he nodded), the other people backed up and he tossed the ball up.

Just as I was about to grab it, this jackwad about three seats to my left lunges over, sticks his glove right in front of my face and snags the ball - mind you, he never touched me or it would have been an entirely different story.

I grabbed his glove and had a few words for him (that almost got me thrown out of Coors Field) and stuck my book in front of his face (then it almost got physical) and then he took off like a cowardly little bitch - pretty much ruined what would have been an awesome story and item for my collection.

The next day out back at Coors, Mac got out of his cab, I held up my book and he looked and starting walking over. I told him thanks for the ball, but I got jacked on it, but thanks for at least looking up, noticing me with your book and acknowledging me.

He then took my book and pen and gave me one of the sweetest Mac sigs I've seen in awhile and thanked me for my support.

So in the end, I still got what I wanted (my book signed) and that jackass got a ball that he'll probably try to sell on eBay or craigslist.

To all the BallHawks out there - I know it's your passion - but if anyone ever bumps me, pushes me, etc to try and get a ball that is clearly my play to make - don't blame me for what will follow.

If that little girl had been my daughter, and especially with the video clearly showing the woman 'ripping the ball away', I would have had the police down there filing man-handling charges against that bitch.

Just my .02

- Smitty

jobathenut
06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
I know this is a forum and we can express our opinions.But i think i will keep mine to myself as i dont want to get trashed.But just have to ask,is it cause it's a girl or a kid that people have a problem with it.I mean i had a kid rip a ball from my hands and i doubt any of you would had a problem with that.Where were the parents? Well i guess i shared more than i should have,go ahead-let me have it

kylehess10
06-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I sometimes do this, but on accident though ofcourse, where I'll catch a ball that was meant for someone else, but I always just give the ball back and let them know that I didn't mean to grab it in front of them.

I ballhawk at Turner Field every home series and I gotta admit, I see this happening every single day. I have a contraption that gets baseballs out from behind the outfield wall, and a lot of times, players will point out specific people and throw a ball to them, and they'll miss and it goes behind the wall, but I always get the baseball and just give it back to them. It's just a personal rule of mine. Keep every homerun baseball that flies behind the wall (except sometimes I'll give them to little kids that didn't get any baseballs), and if the baseball was meant for somebody and they simply missed, I always give it back since it was meant for them in the beginning. I see people with other contraptions just taking the ball and keeping it for themselves. I hate seeing that, but unfortunately it's just apart of batting practice and apart of getting any baseball period.

Shipp_96
06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Though I do not get to as many games as I once did, (somewhat by choice in the past and now due to location), when I lived my seven years in the SF Bay Area I went to more baseball games than I can remember.

I probably made it to at least 30 A's games per year, and never missed a home playoff series. I also made it to a handful of "Gnat" games, mostly due to free tickets floating around my office and if I was just bored to tears that night/weekend.

To shorten this up, between games as a child and teen in Three Rivers Stadium, going to the Oakland Coliseum, Tigers Stadium, Camden Yards and Safeco Field...I have NEVER gotten a MLB baseball. N-E-V-E-R. Not in BP, not a foul, HR, nada!

But this one time...I mean one was meant for me. And, it was during the A's-Twins playoff series in the early 2000's. I am sitting in left field, where after Jacque Jones lost a fly ball in the sun we gave him sh!t for the rest of the game (good times).

So, a foul came my way, bounced off the stair well and literally rolled down my aisle (I am in an end seat). I go to reach down for it casually, not believing I am going to FINALLY get a ball, but a PLAYOFF BALL no less, when this little kid in a damn Twins cap darts under my legs and grabs the ball from my hand!

I mean, my hand was on the top of the ball and getting ready to pick it up. I saw the details of it, hit mark...it was like time stood still (LOL!) He was sitting directly behind me, and showed more hussle than I did as a guy in his late 20s.

I incredulously looked down at him, over at my then girlfriend and she is cracking up, throwing her hands up like "oh well". I shook my head, p!ssed, and went back to watching the game.

I was annoyed, sure (still am), and had every right to that ball. But I could not get into a wrestling match with a child, even one wearing the wrong hat! I feel there is simply no excuse for an adult to do what this lady did to that little girl, period.

commando
06-19-2011, 02:33 AM
I know this is a forum and we can express our opinions.But i think i will keep mine to myself as i dont want to get trashed.But just have to ask,is it cause it's a girl or a kid that people have a problem with it.I mean i had a kid rip a ball from my hands and i doubt any of you would had a problem with that.Where were the parents? Well i guess i shared more than i should have,go ahead-let me have it

I'm not going to let you have it.... I'm just thinking about the theory of intent here. Let's say someone goes to hand a bucket of popcorn or a five-dollar bill to someone else (the type of object being handed is irrelevant, actually). Well, someone else reaches out and grabs the item. This all happens in the lobby of a movie theater. Was this appropriate behavior? Now, take the same scenario but move it into the ballpark. It is appropriate now?

In my mind there's a huge difference between a ball that has been randomly hit into the stands versus one specifically thrown with the intent of giving it to a specific person.

godwulf
06-19-2011, 11:38 AM
If being a "ballhawk" is your thing, and you can do it without interfering with others' enjoyment of The Game, great - have fun. Most of the guys I see doing it at the ballpark - guys in their late teens to late 20s, for the most part - seem to think nothing of practically throwing themselves bodily onto the people around them, including kids, women, and people in wheelchairs, in the course of their efforts. If I were in charge of ballpark security or policy, those guys would be given one warning and then ejected.

Commando makes a solid point about ballpark behavior and acting a certain way in other venues. I think we've all seen video of somebody catching an historic home run ball and then going down in a thrashing, punching dogpile as other people try to take it away from him. If you asked most of the people whether they thought they did anything wrong when they jumped on the guy and tried to pry the ball out of his fingers, they'd probably look at you like you were crazy and say, "It's the ballpark, dude!"

sox83cubs84
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
[quote=commando;

In my mind there's a huge difference between a ball that has been randomly hit into the stands versus one specifically thrown with the intent of giving it to a specific person.[/quote]

Well put, Anthony. That's the principle I tend to operate by, as well.

And, Joba, I agree with you. The intent of the action is wrong no matter who is being victimized. However, I think the event only becomes a news item when the victim is a kid, or maybe a hot female. If it happends to a middle-aged adult, the general attitude from announcers and nearby fans is "so sad, too bad, deal with it!"

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
06-19-2011, 07:29 PM
And, Joba, I agree with you. The intent of the action is wrong no matter who is being victimized. However, I think the event only becomes a news item when the victim is a kid, or maybe a hot female. If it happends to a middle-aged adult, the general attitude from announcers and nearby fans is "so sad, too bad, deal with it!"

Couldn't agree with you more, Dave. That's the thing - baseball games are a world of pushed or be pushed. In my teenage years, I was guilty of this as well, as the only thing that mattered was my getting my souvenir. I've grown up since this time though, and I hope some of the immature ballhawks will mature a bit. Though, for some, it may never happen.

However, I do agree that security at games should enforce at least some civility. I remember at Minute Maid Park in my early twenties a guy pushed me out of the way in the Crawford Boxes during batting practice. In the end, he got a baseball. I looked at security, said a couple words, and they said that there was nothing they could do about the guy's pushing me out of the way.

lakeerie92
06-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I try to get a baseball at every game I go to as long as I can do it without drama. Any amount over 1 I normally give away to kids. I now wait till the end of the game to find a kid to give one to now because of an incident last year.
I was at a weekday get away for the Braves and there were maybe 2,000 people in the seat that day. I was tossed a 3rd out ball by Wilson Ramos with nobody around and a few second later a little girl around the age of 5 came down the steps to the top of the dugout. I couldn't deny a kid so I gave her my baseball. No thank you from her or her mother sitting 3 rows back, but I blew it off. Then she came down every inning and ended with 3 balls. I couldn't try and get one with her at the dugout. After the game I hung out at the top of the dugout in case anything got tossed up from the visitor's dugout. I asked a clubhouse attendant for a bat and he came out with one and just at that time the little girl came down the steps and the attendant saw her and gave her the bat. That was frustrating, but not nearly enough to try and knock any items out of a kids hands.

I am 26 and I like to get a baseball, but only if I catch a hit or it is tossed to me directly. Age doesn't make a difference, as shown in this video, most of the people I have trouble with shoving and being rude are people with size and no athletic ability no other option but to bully. I am 6'2'' 200 and I had a 5' tall woman in her 40s try to shove me out of her way at a Padres BP going for a ball that nobody in the section even had a play on.

You can't generalize ballhawks as bad people because most of them aren't. All the ones I know take pride in catching a BP HR rather than snatching a souvenir from a child. Other than that I am not sure what the point of my post was, I just wanted to share some of my stories.

jobathenut
06-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Not to get into it as i don't feel like being attacked on here as i usually am.But just wanted to say that i was given the ball by the player directly.And as i held it, sitting in my seat,the kid came up to me and rip it from my hand and ran to his seat.So this was not randomly hit to the stands and i caught it.The player talked to me and gave it to me.So i would consider that as being "specifically thrown with intent of giving it to a specific person".....
I'm not going to let you have it.... I'm just thinking about the theory of intent here. Let's say someone goes to hand a bucket of popcorn or a five-dollar bill to someone else (the type of object being handed is irrelevant, actually). Well, someone else reaches out and grabs the item. This all happens in the lobby of a movie theater. Was this appropriate behavior? Now, take the same scenario but move it into the ballpark. It is appropriate now?

In my mind there's a huge difference between a ball that has been randomly hit into the stands versus one specifically thrown with the intent of giving it to a specific person.

jobathenut
06-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Well yeah of course the only reason its news worthy is because it's a kid.That was my point,as this country and sports has become, it's all about the kids.Who are usually by the way,the ones not paying attention to the game.But i don't want to get on that rant again as me and xpress already have a thread about that.And that is the attitude when it happens to a guy.As thats the attitude i got from everyone sitting around me and security who told me "to shut up or get out".
Well put, Anthony. That's the principle I tend to operate by, as well.

Dave Miedema

Skizzick
06-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I think nowadays there are some parents and kids out there with a huge entitlement complex when it comes to foul or thrown balls. I've had people yell at me for not giving a foul ball to a kid. Most of the time, those kids go to ten or more games a year, where they'll probably get more balls. I was at a game wants where a little kid had three balls! What the hell? These kids will have a ton more chances to get foul balls in the future. If somebody catches it without fighting anybody, let them keep it.

frikativ54
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Well yeah of course the only reason its news worthy is because it's a kid.That was my point,as this country and sports has become, it's all about the kids.Who are usually by the way,the ones not paying attention to the game.But i don't want to get on that rant again as me and xpress already have a thread about that.And that is the attitude when it happens to a guy.As thats the attitude i got from everyone sitting around me and security who told me "to shut up or get out".

Not meaning to start an argument, Joba, but many kids do pay attention to the game. When I was a youngster, I watched every pitch, digesting what was going on before me. I didn't have the money to afford game-used memorabilia, but I did have a love for baseball. And baseball is about the kids. If they have positive memories at the ballpark, they will be more likely to pass the love of the game on to their children when the time comes. That's why a lot of ballplayers like to sign for kids only. It's about giving them memories of their idols that they won't soon forget and about handing down the game from generation to generation.

Skizzick
06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Not meaning to start an argument, Joba, but many kids do pay attention to the game. When I was a youngster, I watched every pitch, digesting what was going on before me. I didn't have the money to afford game-used memorabilia, but I did have a love for baseball. And baseball is about the kids. If they have positive memories at the ballpark, they will be more likely to pass the love of the game on to their children when the time comes. That's why a lot of ballplayers like to sign for kids only. It's about giving them memories of their idols that they won't soon forget and about handing down the game from generation to generation.
That is a pretty big generalization you're making. Just because you paid attention to the game, doesn't mean every kid does. In fact, I'd say that most kids don't. I've been to plenty of games where kids are whining to leave or not even knowing what teams were playing. And often, those are the kids whose parents have season tickets and go to 50 games a season. BASEBALL IS NOT FOR THE KIDS. IT'S FOR EVERYBODY THAT APPRECIATES IT. An nobody deserves a baseball, whether you are die hard fan or an innocent little child.
An appreciation of baseball grows with age. My family didn't have the time or money to go to many games when I was younger, but my one trip to the ballpark in 1993 was amazing. And as I got older, my love for the game grew. I recall plenty of times I was trying to get autographs in my teens, and there would be little kids pushing to the front of the crowd to get autographs. Then when a player comes out and everybody asks for him, the kids go "Who is that?"
It isn't about giving them memories, it is about sharing the knowledge with them that will allow them to gain memories on their own.

godwulf
06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I won't repeat my rants and stories about kids and foul balls, most of them concerning the Arizona Fall League, which I attend religiously, except to say that - in my view and experience - the percentage of kids who actually watch the game, and don't spend the whole time whining about how many foul balls they didn't get, and how they want some pizza now, is somewhere between 10 and 25 percent, on a good day.

Recently, I have thought, with some nostalgia, about those Baseball crowd photos you see from the turn of the last century, of row after row of dark-suited men wearing bowler hats. Nobody changing a full diaper on the seat behind you, no screaming babies or fidgety toddlers. And to be extraordinarily un-PC, no little gaggles of giggly, middle-aged women having a girls' night out, who after half a beer think everything they say is hysterically funny, and might as well be at Denny's for all the attention they actually pay to the game.

sox83cubs84
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I think nowadays there are some parents and kids out there with a huge entitlement complex when it comes to foul or thrown balls. I've had people yell at me for not giving a foul ball to a kid. Most of the time, those kids go to ten or more games a year, where they'll probably get more balls. I was at a game wants where a little kid had three balls! What the hell? These kids will have a ton more chances to get foul balls in the future. If somebody catches it without fighting anybody, let them keep it.

I was at a Cubs/Rockies game in the mid-2000s when a kid and his father near me went home with SEVEN baseballs...one caught on the fly off the bat by the dad and SIX mooched by his kid, including one during the game. Scenarios like that are why my sympathy for kids who don't get lucky enough to get a baseball (and haven't been pushed around) is limited.

Dave Miedema

AutographAddiction
06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I have a somewhat similar story about my game-worn Dwight Howard jersey...

As Dwight Howard was delivering me a game-worn jersey earlier this season, he pointed me out, pushed hands away, and put it in my hands. As I grab it and start to pull it in closer to me, another kid decides to grab on as well. He tries to start a tug-of-war, I--not wanting to damage this game-worn artifact--play very nicely and try to talk it out. At any time I could have ripped the jersey from the poachers hands, but l did not want to harm the jersey one bit. The kid is offering me money, begging me to let him have it, says that Dwight had no one in mind while he passed it up, but the jersey belonged to me. All of the bystanders knew it, and were telling the kid that it belonged to me(keep in mind, I am also a kid). Long story short, security guards run to our side, trying to break up a fight-- so I thought. They end up saying that either we decide amongst ourselves peacefully, we take it outside, or we give up the jersey. The other kid wouldn't admit that Dwight gave it to me specifically, so we weren't figuring it out amongst ourselves. I, of course, was not giving my jersey up so I was ready to take it outside at that point. But luckily(for the jerseys well-being and the much-smaller-than-me-kid who was hanging on) a security guard who had talked to Dwight as he walked off the floor came rushing up the steps. She was yelling acknowledging the jersey belonged to me and that Dwight asked her to make sure it got to me. The kid finally realized his chance was diminished, and he let go, says, "See ya later", and walks off as if we were best friends and nothing happened. A few people who had stuck around for the five minutes or so watching clapped and I finally got to have some alone-time with that sweaty, game-worn jersey from Superman.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/1234tls/IMG_1528.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/1234tls/IMG_1532.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/1234tls/IMG_1529.jpg

jobathenut
06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
THANK YOU "SKIZZICK",You said everything i was going to say in response to "frik".I am so tired of hearing "it's all about the kids".So even though i have been a fan since i was kid,i don't matter anymore.And i am sorry but i go to a ton of sports and i rarley see kids pay attention to the game.And the new stadiums would'nt have batting cages and all those extra features now a days if not for that reason.They know kids dont go for the games.Heck most adults i have seen at game seem to be going for the food more than the game.When me and my brother were kids ,we paid attention to the game or my dad would make sure it was the last game we went to.I even kept score of the game.I have never seen a kid keeping score at a game.They all have thier gloves out demanding a ball in seats that don't have tickets for.And the parents don't do anything about it.Its a new generation of kids and not like it was way back then when you went to the game for the game.
That is a pretty big generalization you're making. Just because you paid attention to the game, doesn't mean every kid does. In fact, I'd say that most kids don't. I've been to plenty of games where kids are whining to leave or not even knowing what teams were playing. And often, those are the kids whose parents have season tickets and go to 50 games a season. BASEBALL IS NOT FOR THE KIDS. IT'S FOR EVERYBODY THAT APPRECIATES IT. An nobody deserves a baseball, whether you are die hard fan or an innocent little child.
An appreciation of baseball grows with age. My family didn't have the time or money to go to many games when I was younger, but my one trip to the ballpark in 1993 was amazing. And as I got older, my love for the game grew. I recall plenty of times I was trying to get autographs in my teens, and there would be little kids pushing to the front of the crowd to get autographs. Then when a player comes out and everybody asks for him, the kids go "Who is that?"
It isn't about giving them memories, it is about sharing the knowledge with them that will allow them to gain memories on their own.

coxfan
06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
A basic rule of life (often ignored these days) is that people are individuals, never stereotypes. Some kids value the game and their balls; others do not. But all kids should be polite, and never act entitled to have something that someone else (even an adult) has gotten.

There's a funny story that happened with me. A few years ago at a minor-league game, a foul bounced right into my hands. I saw a boy about 12 years old nearby, looking sad because his friend had gotten a ball and he hadn't. But he didn't asked me for the ball. Instead, he congratulated me politely.

So I gave him the ball as a reward for his politeness. He responded by hugging me! Then his friend whispered to him: "You're not supposed to hug a guy!" So he walked back up to me, deepened his voice, and shook my hand with a "Thank you, sir!"

I thought it was funny. Politeness has its rewards.

godwulf
06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
At the DBacks game just the other night, there were two boys, probably 10 and 12, a father and a grandfather, sitting directly in front of me. The grandfather and the older boy were both watching the game - in fact, the boy was scoring - and the younger boy and his father were playing games on their cellphones. So it's not just kids with attention problems.