PDA

View Full Version : Game used bat question?

scottanservitz
06-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Is it possible for a '73-'75 H/B bat to not have a model number on the knob? The bat does have a flattened knob, also. I'm guessing yes, but would like some opinions.....thanks.

Scott

ironmanfan
06-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I think I read something about a labor strike at the H&B Factory and there were bats that did come out of the factory sans knob markings....

scottanservitz
06-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Ironmanfan,
Thanks for quick reply. I think I read that too, but don't remember where. If you do plmk. Thanks.

Scott

MSpecht
06-18-2011, 12:37 PM
"H & B did produce bats without model numbers including, most notably, individual player post-1975 H & B World Series and All Star bats. Another large group of H & B model numberless bats were produced during a factory strike in 1974 where model numbers are missing from the knobs. So, if a bat has markings consistent with the 1973 to 1975 time period, but has no model number on the knob, you can assume H & B made it in 1974 during the strike. "

from BATS by Malta, Specht, Riddell, and Fox. pp 31-33

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

ironmanfan
06-18-2011, 12:42 PM
In Mike Montbriand's "Gone Bats" article from the 06/01/90 issue of SCD, he states that there was a strike at the H&B plant back in 1974 & that "a number of profesional model bats were made by strikebreakers and/or non-union, probably management, employees. None of these bats had model numbers stamped into the knob."

Goes on to state "the process of stamping the brand and stamping the knob is a two step process. My guess is that during this apparent strike the knob stamping step was eliminated...There was no concern for what collectors would think years later about the missing model numbers."

Hope this helps.

scottanservitz
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Excellent coverage! Much appreciated....

SkubeBats
07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I just picked this bat up today. I was wondering if this is a game used Carl Yastrzemski bat then? The bat is 35 inches long & weighs 36.3 oz. The bat shows nice use with ball marks, grain swelling, spike marks, and pine tar. There isn't a model number on the knob but his uniform number 8 is located on there. This bat date to 1973-1975. Let me know what you think.

sox83cubs84
07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Is it possible for a '73-'75 H/B bat to not have a model number on the knob? The bat does have a flattened knob, also. I'm guessing yes, but would like some opinions.....thanks.

Scott

I'm not a bat guru, but I don't recall H&B using flat knobs on their bats...the knobs always had a bit of rounding to them. The reason I bring this up is, back in the early 1980s, a bat and autograph forger who set up at Chicago shows in that era would sand the knobs flat on retail bats he bought in order to eliminate the telltale retail markings.

Can anyone shed additional light, pro or con, on my concerns?

Dave Miedema

rjdgonebats
07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Willie McCovey ordered bats with flat knobs very frequently from H&B. However the model number was always on the knob because it was done at the Factory. The bat in question appears not to be a true flat knob done at the factory. Hope this helps.

MSpecht
07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
In 1974, Yaz ordered only one model of bat, the well known W215. If this bat is from the period of the 1974 factory strike, it should match up to that model. (12 orders totaling 90 bats, plus 2 All Star bats.) The majority of the bats were 34 inches in length, however 12 of them were 35 inches. Those 35 inch W215 bats were all ordered in March, 1974 --- it would be interesting to ask Brian if any of the oldtimers remember if the strike took place during Spring Training production, as this bat may suggest.

Actually, during the entire 1973-75 label period, of the approx 304 bats documented in Yaz' shipping records, only 42 of those were models other than W215.

There is no mention in Yaz' records about flattened knobs, however the photo does not appear to suggest the presence of a flattened knob.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

SkubeBats
07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Mike,
The knob on this Yaz bat isn't flat it's round. So do you think this bat is a TRUE YAZ game used bat then??

MSpecht
07-18-2011, 07:00 PM
There is no mention in Yaz' records about flattened knobs, however the photo does not appear to suggest the presence of a flattened knob.

I agree that it does not have a flat knob (see above). To be more specific to the possibility of its authenticity, it would pretty much take a physical examination of the bat.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

SkubeBats
08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Does anyone else know anything about these bats from 1974. If anyone is interested in this Yaz bat email me. I would like to sell it or trade it.