PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Forum Member "S.carter"

Eric
09-05-2006, 11:43 AM
FYI

I have received questions about a user "s.carter" from forum members who questioned the nature of some of his posts. There was also reason to believe that the information in the user profile might not be real.

I contacted the s.carter to see if he had registered with his proper information and he immediately asked me to cancel his account.

I then mentioned that all the posts came from the same IP address as users from Steiner Sports.

"S.carter" then became quite defensive and told me to stop the questions and emails.

If you look at "S.carter's" posting history, everything is pro-Steiner.

Because S.carter refused to confirm valid information, he is no longer allowed to participate in the forum.

The reason I am sharing this information with you is so you can make your own decisions on what kind of weight to give the posts made by this user.

Any questions or comments can be sent to me here or at ecky3@aol.com
Eric

sportscentury
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Eric,

Interesting post. Would anyone from Steiner care to chime in and advise the forum as to the nature of this former member? This has a creepy (at best) feel to it. James A. Rast and the other geniuses at AMI should feel to chime in, too.

Eric, as always, thanks for your diligence and excellent work moderating GUF.

Reid

ironmanfan
09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Eric...This news is very disappointing particularly with an organization such as Steiner with the reputation they hold within the collecting community.

stkmtimo
09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
It never ceases to amaze me why people would do this to potentially ruin a company's credibility with the collecting community. Why not just be up front with people and tell them who you are really are? You'll be a lot more successful and get a lot more business in the long run by being up front and honest.

Tim

suave1477
09-05-2006, 12:37 PM
ironman I dont think you can really make that kind of assumption since we don't know if this was acted out wholly by Steiner or just an individual who works for Steiner!!!!

allstarsplus
09-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Eric,

Interesting post. Would anyone from Steiner care to chime in and advise the forum as to the nature of this former member? This has a creepy (at best) feel to it. James A. Rast and the other geniuses at AMI should feel to chime in, too.

Eric, as always, thanks for your diligence and excellent work moderating GUF.

Reid

I read some of his old posts and they don't seem to be James Rast quality (lol). __________________________________________________ ____________
07-14-2006, 05:08 PM
s.carter (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=724) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Yankees-Steiner Jerseys For Sale
I don't understand what all the fuss is on this topic, Steiner had a great special for it's customers, what's the problem here? I've read so much on this board about how overpriced and expensive they are and now they have a GREAT special and they get killed for that as well? Some have even gone as far as accusing them of something being up, that's nuts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if you can't trust Steiner's authenticity what can you trust in this hobby. I feel like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't with this group. Can Steiner ever win on this board?

Eric
09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
All I said was the post came from the same IP address as the other ones from Steiner Sports. We do not know if the person was representing their company or was posting on his own.
Eric

allstarsplus
09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
All I said was the post came from the same IP address as the other ones from Steiner Sports. We do not know if the person was representing their company or was posting on his own.
Eric

Read his 22 posts he made on the Forum, nothing seems earth shattering.

I don't know S. Carter, and when I called the main Steiner # at 914-307-1000 the person told me there was no Carter that worked there.

Eric
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Under Hobby Network, you'll see that s.carter was registered under "Sean Corey Carter" which is the real name of Jay Z.

ironmanfan
09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Suave....I don't think that management at Steiner would be behind any of this, but a company still has to bear some responsibility for the actions of their agents or employees. That was my only point.

suave1477
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Well when he first joined I figured he was using the alias S. Carter which is really Jay z's name.

sportscentury
09-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know S. Carter, and when I called the main Steiner # at 914-307-1000 the person told me there was no Carter that worked there.

Andrew,

When you called Steiner, did you happen to ask them if Chris Bridges, Marshall Mathers, and Kanye West work there? My bet is that none of the world's top rappers work at Steiner.

If we had S.Carter's real name, then a real inquiry could be made. But, as Eric reported, he had no interest in sharing this basic information that is required of all forum members.

I just find it quite odd (and very similar to the James A. Rast scandal) that the IP address matched the IP addresses of forum members who work for Steiner. Judging from this thread, as well as a few emails I've received since Eric's initial post, it's clear I'm not the only one who finds this to be an interesting "coincidence."

Reid

suave1477
09-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Andrew,

When you called Steiner, did you happen to ask them if Chris Bridges, Marshall Mathers, and Kanye West work there? My bet is that none of the world's top rappers work at Steiner.

If we had S.Carter's real name, then a real inquiry could be made. But, as Eric reported, he had no interest in sharing this basic information that is required of all forum members.

I just find it quite odd (and very similar to the James A. Rast scandal) that the IP address matched the IP addresses of forum members who work for Steiner. Judging from this thread, as well as a few emails I've received since Eric's initial post, it's clear I'm not the only one who finds this to be an interesting "coincidence."

Reid

I heard Suge Knight works in Management lol lol:D

Sorry had to throw that one in!!!

trsent
09-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I heard Suge Knight works in Management lol lol:D

Sorry had to throw that one in!!!

Who?

BCowan40
09-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Gentlemen, wanted to respond to this whole thread. S. Carter was a name I had personally used on this forum. I had originally joined just to be a part of the forum and then it grew to me responding to what I felt was undue criticism of Steiner Sports, by no means was I attempting to hide my identity or trick anyone here on this forum. In all honesty I just wasn't comfortable having my information on any website, I appologize for this. This is not an issue that needs to be beaten to death. As soon as I was aware this was not proper forum policy I had the name removed and joined with my real name. As for Eric's comments to be honest yes I did react the way he describes because I felt his questions were getting a bit overwhelming, no other reason. This is not a big deal nor one that requires endless posts. My sincerest appologies as I've clearly upset and offended some of you. I hope this is something that doesn't prohibit us all discussing this great hobby in the future.

Eric
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you for addressing this matter. Now that you have followed the forum rules of signing up with valid contact information.

I have mentioned many times that everyone MUST sign up with a valid first and last name and email address in order to participate in the forum.

The reason people have an interest about that sort of thing is because there was a rather ugly incident which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

However, I want to thank you for coming forward and straightening this out.

We look forward to continued discussions about the hobby
Eric

Eric
09-05-2006, 04:33 PM
For the record it appears these remarks came from Brooks Cowan who works for Steiner Sports. He assured me that he made the comments on his own, not as an official representative of the company.

He is still responsible for his conduct here. Steiner can decide how they want to manage it from their end, but we have our rules, and this user will face a suspension.

This situation in my opinion appears different than some of the other "anonymous" user names we have had to deal with in the past and should not be confused with the Rast/AMI situation. This appears to be an individual acting on his own, who should not have been representing his company, although with the end result, he may have inadvertently done just that.

Eric

ChrisCavalier
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Gentlemen, wanted to respond to this whole thread. S. Carter was a name I had personally used on this forum. I had originally joined just to be a part of the forum and then it grew to me responding to what I felt was undue criticism of Steiner Sports, by no means was I attempting to hide my identity or trick anyone here on this forum. In all honesty I just wasn't comfortable having my information on any website, I appologize for this. This is not an issue that needs to be beaten to death. As soon as I was aware this was not proper forum policy I had the name removed and joined with my real name. As for Eric's comments to be honest yes I did react the way he describes because I felt his questions were getting a bit overwhelming, no other reason. This is not a big deal nor one that requires endless posts. My sincerest appologies as I've clearly upset and offended some of you. I hope this is something that doesn't prohibit us all discussing this great hobby in the future.
Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank Mr. Cowan for the post he made. I think it shows a great deal of character to explain what happened. In addition, I have spoken to Eric and we both agreed that, in light of Mr. Cowan's post as well as his re-registration, this issue should be put to rest. We are therefore locking the thread.

If anyone has any other concerns you can email me or Eric directly.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
chris_cavalier@gameuseduniverse.com

Eric
09-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Forum members-

I promised I would give an update on this situation when we had one. Chris and I agreed that Brooks Cowan should receive a 60 day suspension from the game used forum.
Thank you.
Eric