PDA

View Full Version : Player Collectors - 3rd hand used jersey?

Klattsy
06-21-2011, 06:33 AM
G'day all,

What is everyone's view on the following purchase:

-Lowell Spinners are selling GU Home Vests which were used from 07-10.
-My guy Mitch Dening wore it in 2008 for 62 games, his only season with Spinners.
-It was then worn in 09 & 10 by two other no name guys.

Does this have any value still to player collectors?

My logic is usually when you buy a jersey it is washed anyway, so it's not like its straight off their back...but does the fact that two other players wore it devalue the item? I also believe that, at the end of the day, this was the jersey he wore in 08, so if you want the Spinners jersey, this is it. Easy to match in photos as well (the item itself).

What do u think? Still appealing to player collectors or not worth the $100 they're asking...

thanks,
Mark.

godwulf
06-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Well, price is a personal thing, in the end, I think. How badly you want it, what you can afford - those are questions that only you can answer. As to whether a jersey having been worn by other players devalues it, I think that's just a fact of life if you're a collector of minor league jerseys, and to my mind, no, it doesn't. I have lots of minor league Diamondbacks jerseys, and several from the now defunct Hawaiian Winter League, which were worn by three or even four players, and they honestly do not mean less to me than a jersey that the team, or some other seller, touts as having been worn by just one guy...which may or may not even be true.

WadeInBmore
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
As a player collector I would still consider this to be a jersey used by my guy and I would be interested in acquiring it for the collection. Recycling of the jerseys has been a consistent past practice for the minor leagues. I think the recent selling of jerseys after one season is mearly that, a recent trend. When the Hawaiian Winter League closed its doors they made their jerseys available to collectors with a complete player history attached (which I thought was neat).

If that is your guy, I'd say go for it! Price is at the buyers discreation.

Good Luck

wade

solarlottry
06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
The 49ers were notorious for recycling jerseys, even of superstars such as Rice and Young. I have a # of 49er gamers with team letters that have had # changes including 2 1997 photo-matched Steve Young shirts that were originally worn by other players. I dont think either shirt is less valuable because it was worn by someone else then by Young.

Always buying 49ers gamers especially 1994 shirts and always paying a nice finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I tend to agree with the viewpoints already listed...particularly if no alterations (NOB and/or number changes) were made as it went from player to player. If the jersey looks just as it did when your player wore it (except of course for additional wear), then, to me, it's a slam dunk.:)

Dave Miedema

Klattsy
06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys, deep down, I was always going to get it I think.
Mark.