PDA

View Full Version : Braves make up 526 games in 20 years, back to .500

freddiefreeman5
06-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I just came across this article and thought it was pretty interesting. I also had no idea until I read it.
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/braves-make-up-526-games-in-20-years-back-to-500-509906.html

coxfan
06-22-2011, 06:44 AM
The Braves are actually the longest continuous franchise in baseball. They started play as the Boston Red Stockings in 1871. Back then, clubs were actually "clubs": Guys paid dues and elected officers. The Cincinnati baseball club in 1869 had paid a "first nine" of professionals to represent them, and they're remembered as the first all-salaried team. But the Cincinnati officers were divided about whether to continue paying players to represent their largely amateur club. One officer gave a speech in which he said that professional baseball was just a passing fad!

So some of the Cincinnati professionals moved to Boston and formed a new group dedicated only to pro ball. Their success in 1869 had inspired imitators, so in 1871 a National Association of baseball professionals was formed. However, that group allowed anybody ( even weak semi-pro clubs) to join and play. As a result, in 1876 the National League was formed, restricting their clubs only to the richest groups and granting them exclusive territorial rights. At that point, major-league baseball was formed.

The Boston team (now Braves) won the first NL game ever in 1876. So they started out over .500. The Chicago NL team (now Cubs) also started the original NL, but they missed seasons due to the Chicago fire.

coxfan
06-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Correction: I meant to say the Cubs started in 1871 in the original National Association, but lost seasons due to the fire. After that, they joined the NL with the (future) Braves in 1876, so the two franchises are co-owners of the distinction of being the longest-running NL clubs. But the (future) Braves have run continuously since 1871, while the Chicago team cannot take it all the way back to 1871 because of the fire.

freddiefreeman5
06-23-2011, 05:19 AM
coxfan,
Great info, thanks.