PDA

View Full Version : Braves Team Issued LOA? Help

Firefighter1
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I am just getting into game used collecting and am concentrating on Braves items. I have come across several that have COA's directly from The Braves. My question is how legit are these? I mean isn't it very easy to copy these and put them with a retail jersey with the players name on it and call it game used? Also some of these COA's state the item is "used" and others state "game used". what does this mean? Should i stay away from these all together? Should i just buy stuff that is MLB authenticated? Here is a link to a game used Smoltz jersey i am interested in with the Braves LOA. Could someone give me their opinion on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-SMOLTZ-Game-Used-2007-Atlanta-Braves-Jersey-w-COA-/380308298875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588c241c7b. Also if anyone has any Braves items they are selling please let me know. Thanks for any help and advice.

Firefighter1
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Here is my email if u would rather contact me. Thanks Smallfry121@gmail.com

clubbiety
06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Here is my email if u would rather contact me. Thanks Smallfry121@gmail.com

Email sent!

lakeerie92
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
The COAs are legit. Not everything gets MLB authenticated so anything that doesn't the Braves offer a COA with it. It always has the stadium imagine in the background, it is blue, and signed by Robert Hope. I had a red alternate Smoltz a year ago from 2007 also that was MLB authenticated from the Braves and I sold it for $600 so you can use that for a guide as to what to spend. The COAs are good, but like with everything game used do your research. I have many of them from buying from the Braves, some are worthless to me and some are good. Items to look out for a game used bats that say game issued. If they aren't certain it was used in a game they will list it as game issued. They just had 5 Chipper bats from 2010 that had use(rare to see a MLB authenticated Chipper, I have the only one I have ever seen), but the team wasn't sure if they were used in games or just in rehab so they sold them with Game Issued certificates. The COAs aren't an exact science because they are just typed up on the spot for each item so that is where you get some descrepancies like game and game used. If you have any other questions you can email me at lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com. I also have a few Braves player bats I am selling too.

ziggy
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Everything looks good on it..however would hold out for one with the tail strip tagging.

hiramman
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Ditto to what Ziggy said.

Firefighter1
06-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Where is the tail strip tagging supposed to be located and what should it read for this jersey? Thank u everyone who has replied.

Firefighter1
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok, I had another member on this site offer me the exact same Smoltz jersey with the Braves LOA but this jersey had no strip tail tagging eithier. Does anyone know if they just did not tag these particular jerseys? One member told me he thought they did not start tagging the Braves jerseys until after 2005 but i have seen one from 2003 with tagging? Anybody know ?

lakeerie92
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
My Smoltz was the same year as the one in the eBay auction, just a Red alternate jersey and it had the strip tag. The tag will go over the size on the front Majestic label. I am not sure what year they started.

sox83cubs84
06-22-2011, 11:12 PM
The Braves have tagged the majority of their Majestic-made jerseys (2005-present). The strip tag normally includes the player uniform number, the year and the set number, i.e. "10 06 S3". An apostrophe before the two digit year was added beginning in 2010.

Most 2000-04 Russell jerseys were tagged with either year or set and year. I'd have to research my files for the 1990s Wilson and Russell jerseys, although there were a few years in the 1990s when the Russell road greys were NOT tagged.

Dave Miedema

AutographAddiction
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Ok, I had another member on this site offer me the exact same Smoltz jersey with the Braves LOA but this jersey had no strip tail tagging eithier. Does anyone know if they just did not tag these particular jerseys? One member told me he thought they did not start tagging the Braves jerseys until after 2005 but i have seen one from 2003 with tagging? Anybody know ?

If you do not go for the Smoltz jersey offered to you from a GUU member(and it is cheaper than the eBay auction) can you please tell him to shoot me an email about it? Thanks!

hiramman
06-23-2011, 05:52 AM
The Braves routinely use jerseys with strip tags and jerseys without the strip tags for star players. Star players like Smoltz, Glavine, Chipper, McCann, Heyward, etc. will use jerseys with and without the strip tags. Usually the Braves will order 10+ sets of home jerseys for the star players, depending on their popularity. These sets will be strip tagged with number/year/set#. They will also order extras for the stars that do not contain the strip tag. Both are authentic and both can be game used. When and if the jerseys are sold or auctioned off by the Braves, both types are sold. The strip tagged jerseys always sell first. The jerseys without the strip tags are the ones that are usually left over and then usually bulk sold to dealers. That is why so many of those seem to pop up on ebay, etc. They are usually sold as part of a larger bulk sell and then are flipped. That is why you will see prices ranging from $1200 - $600.