PDA

View Full Version : 1979 world series game used ball signed by Palmer

geoff
09-05-2006, 11:21 PM
I have been offered by a guy who comes in the bar i work at a 1979 game used world series baseball signed by Jim Palmer.He told me his dad got this ball directly from Palmer in 1979.
We did not talk money because he and i have no clue what its worth.I told him i would try too find out and let him know in a couple of days.I told him i want too see the ball and he told me too try too find out first.He is not a collector at all of anything sports.He did tell me there are dirt marks all over the ball.Any help would be great as i have interest in the ball.Thanks in advance for the help.Geoff

indyred
09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Wouldn't it be extremly hard to prove it was a game used ball? Without the documentation, it may be priceless to the original owner, but it's resell wouldn't be that high.....

earlywynnfan
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree with indyred. If i were you, i'd look up where you can buy these WS BB new and check the markings, then see if you can find any documented GU WS BB to see if there's a difference (or perhaps these forum members will know?) It would really help if there was some sort of notations on the ball, but that's probably too much to ask for.

With documentation, I'd put the value at a few hundred.

Ken

geoff
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Thats what i was trying too tell him without any letters or anything like that it might not be worth a whole lot.So it might be worth a hundred or too.What should i offer him for the ball then.I don't want too rip this guy off because im not like that.Thanks Geoff

ironmanfan
09-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Geoff, without solid provenace from the seller I wouldn't offer him anymore to what a signed Jim Palmer ball goes for. I think you need to talk to the father to see excatly what were the circumstances how it came about that Jim Palmer gave him an actual game used ball from the '79 Fall Classic. Even with provenance I wouldn't see this ball being worth more than $75-100 or so.