PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Auction - Lot 107

sammy
09-06-2006, 12:37 PM
In reviewing the current Grey Flannel auction, I came across lot 107. Now this lot is described as a "12/29/1972 Framed Michael Jordan Coca-Cola Signed Check"

Now GF and Jimmy Spence both state this check is made out to a 9 year old Michael Jordan, the future basketball legend. Their reasoning is that Coca-Cola sponsored a school contest that Jordan won, or some similar event.

Personally, I find this ludicrous for the following reasons.

1) Michael Jordan moved to Wilmington, North Carolina as a toddler and grew up there. He graduated from Laney High School in Wilmington and then went to University of North Carolina.

2) The Coca-Cola company that this check is from was located in Camden, Arkansas. The check was also deposited and cashed in Camden, AR. Why would a Coca-Cola bottling company in AK sponsor a contest in NC, as bottling companies are regional? Michael Jordan the basketball legend never lived in Camden, AR or anywhere near there in his youth.

3) Being as 9 year Mike lived in Wilmington, NC, how in the world did he get all the way over to AR to personally deposit/cash this check? There is absolutely no endorsement from any bank in NC on the back of the check. All the endorsements are from Camden, AR. (View the GF catalog to confirm this)

4) The endorsement on the back is unlike the handwriting of a 9 year old as it flows to smoothly and is well formed, and in my opinion, diffidently not the handwriting of Michael Jordan the basketball player. The handwriting looks to be from an older person/adult.

5) If you look in the GF catalog on page 37, you will see this check and another alleged "Michael Jordan" signature from grade school / junior high. If you compare the signatures, you will see a vast difference, even thought these were supposedly signed by the same person close to the same time frame.

6) According to MapQuest, it would take 9 year Michael 16 hours, 22 minutes via a car to get from Wilmington, NC to Camden, AR. That is a total distance of 1027.92 miles.

Wonder how long it took little 9 year old Mike to get to the bank in Camden from Wilmington on his bicycle?

I would surmise this check is made out to and endorsed by Mike Jordan, a regular guy. Not Michael Jordan, the basketball legend.

Eric
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Sammy-

What happened when you emailed your concerns to Grey Flannel as per forum rules?

Eric

sammy
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Eric,

No reply to the following inquiry.

Subj: Lot 107
Date: 9/01/2006 11:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time
To: GFC SPORTS

To whom it may concern,

I'm questioning the validity of Lot 107, the Mike Jordan endorsed check that you are stating is made out to and endorsed by 9 year old Michael Jordan, the future basketball legend.

Being as Michael Jordan never lived in Camden, which is over a 1000 miles from where he actually grew up, what do you base your story on?

Thanks, Sammy.

trsent
09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Eric,

No reply to the following inquiry.

Subj: Lot 107
Date: 9/01/2006 11:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time
To: GFC SPORTS

To whom it may concern,

I'm questioning the validity of Lot 107, the Mike Jordan endorsed check that you are stating is made out to and endorsed by 9 year old Michael Jordan, the future basketball legend.

Being as Michael Jordan never lived in Camden, which is over a 1000 miles from where he actually grew up, what do you base your story on?

Thanks, Sammy.

Now, that's being prepared!

stkmtimo
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Sammy,
I have a vast collection of signed checks and personally found the same faults with this Jordan check as you did. In my mind, there is little chance that this is a Michael Jordan check of the basketball player. Also interesting to note is the fact that the amount of the check appears to be for $114.98. Now, the year on the check is 1972. Being that Michael was 9 years old at the time and doing some inflation calculations on the Bureau of Labor Statistics' website, I found out that $114.98 in 1972 is worth $559.77 - a pretty large amount for a contest or similar promotion won by a 9 year old. Now, with this information coupled with Sammy's, I really have a hard time believing this is THE Michael Jordan.

Tim

sammy
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Some poor soul spent close to 1800 with the buyer's penalty and S/I for this very questionable item.

Too many people just depend on a letter to make something good, and not the item itself.

What a shame, because bad is bad, regardless of who's letter comes with the item.

All of the major authenticating companies are sure screwing up a lot lately.

Almost makes me think it is 1999 again, and the forensics people are back on top of the authenticating chain.

sammy
10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
This "alleged" Michael Jordan check sold for close to 1800.00 at the GF auction.

It is now for sale at "thesignaturegroup.us" for a mere 20,000.00. :eek:

Here is your chance once again, for what I still believe, to be a Michael Jordan check signed by someone other then Michael Jordan the basketball player. :(

The price has only increased 18200.00. :eek:

kingjammy24
10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
this is going to make me sound old, but i remember when people actually had to work to make money. or at least do something that required a modicum of effort.

rudy.

sammy
10-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Grey Flannel Auctions has decided to accept a return on this check from the current owner, due to questionable authenticity.

Perhaps this dubious item will not show up in a future auction at GF or elsewhere.

Another very questionable item has, hopefully, been removed from the hobby. :D

ironmanfan
10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Sammy...Nice work. I don't have the SCD in front of me at this moment but didn't the guy selling the Jordan Coca-Cola check also claim it came with either a PSA/DNA or Spence LOA?

sammy
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
The check was authenticated by Jimmy Spence.

DBA: James Spence Authentication.

stkmtimo
11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Yep, because young Mike Jordan was receiving hundred dollar checks from Coca-Cola...for what reason??

Tim