PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Fan Fest

godwulf
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I have tickets for the Fan Fest here in Phoenix next Friday and Saturday, and I'm curious about what I'm likely to see and experience there. I've heard that it is MLB putting it on, so presumably it will be similar to the ones that have come before. I'm epecially interested in how they normally have the autograph situation set up.

frikativ54
07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I have tickets for the Fan Fest here in Phoenix next Friday and Saturday, and I'm curious about what I'm likely to see and experience there. I've heard that it is MLB putting it on, so presumably it will be similar to the ones that have come before. I'm epecially interested in how they normally have the autograph situation set up.

When's the first day of FanFest?

OaklandAsFan
07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Friday is the first day. I purposely bought my fanfest tix for Monday cause I figured that MLB players would be there in attendance in the morning that day. That is gonna be a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG weekend with the futures game and celebrity softball then the workouts and HR derby topped off with the red carpet and all star game. I can't wait!!!

jppopma
07-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I too went with the Monday fan fest because I didn't want to miss any of the other events. Maybe not the best idea since it will likely be super crowded when nothing else is going on.

In the whole suite of things going on, the fanfest is low on my list and I may just skip it all together if better "offers" come up.

Can't wait and just hope I don't get fried out there.....

EurekaDave
07-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I have some All-star Fanfest experience (San Francisco) and therefore can offer some insight.

The environment itself is fun, especially for kids. They have batting cages, miniature playing fields and all kinds of interesting products. I think Cal Ripken was there pitching some kind of academy or something.

As for autographs, that can be problematic, as it always is. My grand-son and I hung out at a venue for Giants great JT Snow and got the brush-off when he came out. Very disillusioning. But maybe that's just him. Still, such things are tightly controlled by security.

Anyway, I am glad you are going and would love a follow-up report. I guess my best advice would be to think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience with your family. Whatever else happens will be a bonus.

Enjoy!!!

Dave Silverbrand
Always buying more hair and unclogged arteries

OaklandAsFan
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I just scored 2 seats right behind the Dbacks dugout for Sunday!!! Can't wait!

godwulf
07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I spent some time last night picking out just the right bats to take to Fan Fest this morning. Six former Diamondbacks are supposed to be appearing and signing autographs today, and I have unsigned bats for four of them, plus another three tomorrow.

Guess I should have read the Fan Fest FAQs at MLB.com before this morning. At least I didn't haul them down to the Convention Center for nothing.

"Q: Can bats be brought into Major League Baseball All-Star FanFest?
A: Bats will not be allowed into the event and Autograph Guests will not sign them."

I am majorly bummed. No bats?! What is wrong with these people? Are they afraid folks are going to go berserk and start hitting one another over the head with them? Is this a Homeland Security issue? :cool:

OaklandAsFan
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
well think about it, If only 10% of the people that go to the fanfest bring bats that A LOT of bats that are being carried around. I doubt anyone is gonna go berserk and start blasting people with the bats (and if they did I imagine with the police prescence they wouldn't get very far) It's more of a just in case scenario. Things happen when you have a lot of people not necessarily paying attention to their surroundings.

I have an Erubial Durazo bat that I was hoping to get signed so I guess we will both just have to wait for the 2001 anniversary celebration in September.

I wish I had bought tickets to the fan fest for today and I still may go up and try to get some, I waited to get them for Monday cause I figured by then some actual players will be there signing graphs.

Hope you have fun!

frikativ54
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I wish I had bought tickets to the fan fest for today and I still may go up and try to get some, I waited to get them for Monday cause I figured by then some actual players will be there signing graphs.

Hope you have fun!

I have a FanFest ticket from today that I am not using. If you could tell me how to transfer the ticket to you, I would be willing to give it away for free.

-Frik

OaklandAsFan
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
thanks for the offer but I am not sure how to go about transferring and I need to get 5 tix for me and the fam to go.

Thanks again for the offer though!

EurekaDave
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
That's really sad about the Fanfest and the bats. Those MLB control-freak SOB's!!! I'll bet the house that the players would have no problem signing such stuff.

It happened to me once with Dave Winfield. His handlers were jerks. He was great.

Sorry you have to go through that. Tough to explain this to a kid, too. I had to do the same thing with my grand-son. What's the matter with these blowfish?

Dave Silverbrand

jppopma
07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I have fanfest tix for Sunday and doubt that I will use all four. Maybe have two extras if anyone is in need.

godwulf
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
At one point yesterday, I told someone that I was standing in line next to, "There are two ways of doing these things - get autographs, or relax and enjoy yourself." :rolleyes:

Well, as usual, just like I do every year at the Diamondbacks Fan Fest, I went the first route. Spent from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. standing in one line or another. Tough on old, out-of-shape legs and bad hips. But I got baseballs signed by six former DBacks - Greg Swindell, Kelly Stinnett, Jay Bell, Reggie Sanders, Mike Fetters and Damion Easley. I had most of those guys on a ball already, but I'll make my sister a gift of these.

Also met five of the original AAGPBL players - those elderly ladies are some kind of sharp. And nice, as well. Seemed to love to talk with people. One of them asked me if I'd ever been out to one of their games; I said, "I was born in 1954", and she said, "Oh, that's when we stopped playing." There were also a couple of players from the Team U.S.A. women's baseball (not softball) team, which I'll have to admit I did not know existed.

The HOF Museum display was kind of small-ish, but there were some nice items. There was a separate display elsewhere of historic Diamondbacks stuff, like the bat and ball from Gonzo's WS-winning hit in '01. Some good educational displays on the Negro Leagues and women in Baseball.

After the autograph lines, I spent another three hours just wandering around pretty aimlessly, shopping, picking up weird freebies here and there, occasionally refreshing myself with a free sample from the Pepsi Max booth (that stuff is highly addictive - I think they put heroin in it.)

Talked to a young fellow - I didn't catch his name - with Louisville Slugger, and of course he knew Brian. Said he'd seen BMH at the office a few days ago, and seemed to be doing well.

At one point, I was in line ahead of some clown on a cellphone, telling someone, "Yeah, this place is really small, and there's nobody here. Not like New York!" He went on and on, criticizing everything about the event, and comparing it to "New York". At which point, I began to understand the ban on bats a little more. :rolleyes:

Going back today, but only three autos to get, so I plan to spend a lot more time reading and studying the displays, and maybe doing a little more shopping.

godwulf
07-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, I didn't stand in line for 6 1/2 hours today, like yesterday. I stood in line for about 9 1/2 hours, instead. My mistake was in getting into the "hourly free pin" line first thing, and then it became like a competition to see if I could make it back at the top of each hour in time to collect all 7 pins. (I got 6.) I don't know why I did it - I'm not really even a pin collector. Call it temporary Fan Fest madness, I guess.

I also stood in lines for David Dellucci, Steve Finley (an hour-and-a-half just for that one) and the last AAGPBL signature I needed. Stood in line for a free All-Star golf towel. Stood in line for a free taco. I was like some housewife in the old Soviet Union - just getting into any line 'cause whatever was at the other end was something you didn't have. My legs, back and feet are just gone at this point. I'm now going to sleep very soundly for at least 12 hours. And no doubt dream about standing in line.

ironmanfan
07-10-2011, 12:02 AM
If anyone is going to The Futures Game and can get me a program, I would appreciate it (PM me if you can; I'll certainly reimburse you).

Thanks

Bill

OaklandAsFan
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I'll pick you up one.

OaklandAsFan
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
is there a separate program for the futures game than the all star game? I already have an extra program for the all star game I could send ya, I'll look for it tomorrow when I get to the stadium

I can't believe it's here finally. I am super excited for the next 3 days!!!!

godwulf
07-10-2011, 11:36 AM
By the way, has there been a thread on "Game-Used All-Star" stuff, and I just missed it?

I've got three or four items, myself, but I have to haul them out and photograph them before I can post.

OaklandAsFan
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
don't think I have ever seen a game used all star thread. You should start one :)

You have the celeb softball Sarah Silverman jersey don't you?

godwulf
07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
don't think I have ever seen a game used all star thread. You should start one :)

You have the celeb softball Sarah Silverman jersey don't you?

Yes, I do. Somewhere around here...

Danny899
07-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Its gonna be a great experience for you while there. Be sure to bring yor swimming trunks!

godwulf
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Uh...no pool at the Fan Fest. If you're talking about being in Phoenix, actually, I live here, so yeah - swimming aplenty, I'm aware. :D

OaklandAsFan
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
What was your overall thoughts on the Fanfest Godwulf??

For me I really only stood in line for Earl Weaver and it was for about an hour and fifteen minutes (with a 9,7, and 5 year old so that was no fun) That worked out good for me though because I ended up getting 5 Weaver graphs and he put HOF on the ball he signed for my 5 year old. I bought an Orioles helmet and got that signed by him and then ran into Cal Ripken Jr after his XM show and got him to sign the helmet as well. He took and and put it on for about a minute and walked around with it before signing it.

I was first in line for the AAGPBL ladies so no wait there and they were so awesome to speak with about their experiences. I really wanted that bat they have from a reunion from 2005 that was signed by about 90 of them along with Lori Petty and Penny Marshall but $2k was out of what I was willing to spend for it and they didn't seem interested in bargaining.

For the kids it was awesome because we have a Priority Club membership so we got to skip to the front of the line for every interactive event. We just camped in the far corner of the fanfest for about an hour while they ran around catching grounders and fly balls. They had an absolute blast and were very disappointed to hear that it was gone after the game was finished. and the Taco Bell "Steal a Taco" area was great cause after every time they went and did a slide they got either a free taco on the spot or a coupon for one later when there were no tacos to be given out so we have dozens of those coupons plus a couple of those Taco foam hats.

Overall I thought it was a great time!! For me the HR Derby was the most exciting of the 3 days, the ASG itself is almost anti-climactic IMO.

godwulf
07-13-2011, 06:00 PM
What was your overall thoughts on the Fanfest Godwulf??

Well, of course I had no kids with me there, so I got to ignore all the "interactive" stuff. Which left the players signing autos, the hourly commemorative pin line, the dealers (literally everything from 25-cent baseball cards to framed lithos that I'm sure were priced in the mid-five figures), the folks who were there just being interviewed, the HOF Museum display and the Hunt silent auction items (the latter being probably the more overall interesting of the two), and the Negro Leagues display.

(And, of course, the B of A hucksters everywhere, some more aggressive than others. I've learned to wear my radio headset constantly in those situations, even when it's turned off - people trying to get your attention to sell you something usually don't even try to get your attention.)

As an adult, on his own there and not likely to be stealing any bases for a free taco - I can only imagine what kind of bill from the Emergency Room that little "free" taco activity would have generated - if I'd actually stuck to my "no lines" resolution that second day, I honestly don't know whether there would have been all that much for me to do. Maybe an hour total studying all the historical displays and the auction stuff, and more time spent pawing through the dealers' offerings. Standing around listening to various media people and the occasional retired player being interviewed about one team or division or another. No, the vast majority of what was happening was definitely geared toward the kids...about which I'm not complaining in any way - just an observation.

Speaking of observations, I was in line for something at one point, and there were four guys in a little cluster in front of me, ranging in age from probably late 20s to late 50s. They were talking really loudly, flipping through cards depicting all the MLB team mascots and rendering their personal judgments on each one - that sort of thing. When Peter Gammons showed up nearby, getting ready to be interviewed, they all went, "Ooh, ooh...Peter Gammons! Peter Gammons!", and a couple of them ran over to get him to sign a ball. (Peter Gammons? A ball? Really?) Then, while we were still all standing there, a t.v. close by showed Jeter, live, getting hit #3000, and I swear I think a couple of these guys...well, let's just say they were very excited and leave it at that. And I remember thinking, "Jeez, there sure are a lot of really nerdy Baseball fans!" :rolleyes:

I was first in line for the AAGPBL ladies so no wait there and they were so awesome to speak with about their experiences. I really wanted that bat they have from a reunion from 2005 that was signed by about 90 of them along with Lori Petty and Penny Marshall but $2k was out of what I was willing to spend for it and they didn't seem interested in bargaining.

My sister made me a gift, some years ago, of an old brown Winner bat with over 40 AAGPBL signatures on it. She paid $560 at auction for it, so of course that is one of my treasures. I mentioned it to one of the ladies working the souvenir booth, and she said, "A lot of those women are probably gone now". One of the players, during a Q&A they did at one point, mentioned that of the 6000 women who played in the league, from '43 to '54, fewer than a third are still living.

godwulf
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Come to think of it, 6,000 sounds like too many players. I suspect that she said, "600".

OaklandAsFan
07-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I sat in on the Hunt auction for a few minutes. I had my eye on the Billy Martin Jersey A's jersey and the Dick Green A's jersey's and was considering signing up to bid but while I was in there Curt Schillings 2007 worlds series autographed gamer went up and the STARTING bid was 13k and it went up from there I realized I was out of my league and left.

godwulf
07-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Some of the smaller items actually caught my eye - a couple of medals, on a shelf there on the left just as you walked in. One was a WS press "pin" in the form of a medal and suspension ribbon, and the other was a very elaborate little piece with engraving too small for me to read. Hardly anything had explanatory labels or tags, and I didn't feel like pawing through the catalog trying to figure out exactly what I was looking at; they'd have probably been out of my price range, anyway.