Did PUMA ever produce Titans game worn jerseys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preston
    • Mar 2010

Did PUMA ever produce Titans game worn jerseys?

Hey guys,

As much of an "expert" on Titans gamers as I feel like I am, I want to make sure I don't make a huge mistake before purchasing a jersey, so I've got several questions...

1. Did Puma ever make Titans game worn jerseys, or just the retail ones?

If no to #1, then #2 will not apply

2. If YES, is there anything I need to specifically look for when looking at a "game" jersey? A guy I know has an Eddie George "gamer" made by Puma, but I'm skeptical because I know Puma DID make retail jerseys, but I'm not sure if they made gamers at any point. I know Logo Athletic (pretty sure it's Logo Athletic as it's a L with a swoosh around it) made our jerseys in 1998 when we were the Tennessee Oilers, but I can't remember who made our jerseys from 1999-2001 (which I believe if it were Puma it'd be in that time frame)

I'm pretty sure I'm right and Puma never made game jerseys but wanted to double check.

Thanks again!!!!

P
  • Preston
    • Mar 2010

Re: Did PUMA ever produce Titans game worn jerseys?

I know this is TOTALLY 11th hour as I would be buying this tomorrow, so if anyone can help please please chime in

Comment

• jppopma
      • Mar 2006

I have some other teams Puma jerseys from 2000. If you look on getty for 2000 season jerseys, they are wearing Pumas.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Preston
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jppopma
        I have some other teams Puma jerseys from 2000. If you look on getty for 2000 season jerseys, they are wearing Pumas.

Hope this helps.
        That actually helps a LOT! I appreciate it!

Comment

• Preston
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jppopma

Hope this helps.
          Why in the world didn't I think of this? Third pic I pulled up on Getty had a CLEAR puma logo on the sleeve.

Comment

• Preston
            • Mar 2010

One more question - since they do wear Puma jerseys...is there anything I should look for as far as tagging or anything to deem it a gamer vs. an authentic? I know obvious wear but that can be done by anybody potentially.

Comment

• Neely8
              • Apr 2006

I'd say the George should probably have banded sleeves and the strip tag in the collar indicating the size, year, and depending on the year of the jersey the type, ie. S-skill, QB-quarterback, etc.

Comment

• Neely8
                • Apr 2006

I'd also think it should have decent wear since it is a RB jersey.

Comment

• Preston
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Neely8
                  I'd say the George should probably have banded sleeves and the strip tag in the collar indicating the size, year, and depending on the year of the jersey the type, ie. S-skill, QB-quarterback, etc.
                  The seller said there is a size tag of 52 in the neck area, but no strip tag (should I be concerned? I'm not sure if Puma did neck tags?). From looking at getty pics, I don't see any tagging on the bottom front on the gamers, but on the authentics I do. So if it doesn't have that on the front it's a good start.

Comment

• Aloving77
                    • Apr 2006

Preston,

Feel free to e-mail me when you have questions about your Titans jerseys. I'm not an expert, but I should usually be able to help. Puma made Titans jerseys in 1999 and 2000. They are very similar to the reebok jerseys. I have an Eddie George jersey from the Time period. He wore a size 48. Here are pictures of my jersey so you can compare. Click on them to enlarge.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

1999 and 2000 were the only years that Puma supplied ANY NFL teams with uniforms.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Blitzmaster
                        • Mar 2006

just to clarify, All NFL jerseys made in the past 15+ years are made by Ripon in Berlin, Wisconsin. They are the ones that add the logo(reebok, Nike, Puma, Starter) to the jersey and distribute them. Ripon has made kerseys for years as they have the best product, they just don't have the $$$$ for the sponsorship.

Comment

• Preston
                          • Mar 2010

Okay well I'm 99% it's an authentic retail jersey, and the "wear" was from someone playing in their backyard with it on.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

Just looked at the tag picture you posted recently...when Jim Yackel did a primer on 1990s/2000s NFL tagging on his website a few years ago, he indicated that the black flagged size tags are unique to retail jersey, and that Puma gamers/game-issued jerseys should have a white flagged size tag.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• G1X
                              • Nov 2005

Happy 4th of July to all!!!

Below are photos of a game-worn Titans jersey from 2000 that show the proper Puma tail tagging and the strip tag in the neck. Most of the various jerseys I've seen from that time period do not include the "S", "QB", etc. designation as that became more common in the early 2000s. (Perhaps someone can shed some light on when that practice first started.)

One clarification about strip tags in the neck. Teams contracted with Adidas in the late 1990s/early 2000s such as Washington and Tampa Bay did not have strip tags in the neck. (See various photos below). Going back to the mid-1990s, suppliers such as Russell and Wilson did not use strip tags in the neck although both placed a year designation (such as a 94 for 1994) in some teams' jerseys.

Tampa did not have any year designation on their Adidas jerseys in 1998 or 1999. A small flag tag designating the year was added to the tail tag in 2000. Washington had a year tag sewn in the tail in 1999 (simply a 99 - see photo) and converted to the same style as Tampa in 2000.

Hope this information is useful.

Mark Hayne
                              Gridiron Exchange
                              gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...